Which Slr Should I Buy?

Tibbiemax71

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest belgian.blue
Wherever you can :eek: I have no idea - haven't bought one in years.

here's the Border's link.

I'm in no rush to go home, so will go photography book shopping after work. We have a borders in the city.

Also googled that lens kja and it sounds fantastic.

One thing that annoys me about the Pentax, it's a heavy camera! Chunky and bulky and my small arms get tired so it isn't fun to use everyday. Also had a look at lens for the Pentax and if I went that option, I'd be spending around $800 so I'm better of just switching to Canon :eek:

Guest belgian.blue

Had a hold and the Canon feels amazing. Much lighter than my current and fits snuggly in my little paws :thumbsup:

Edited by belgian.blue

A lot of it is personal choice but I'd personally stick with Canon or Nikon. Some of the other brands like Sony and Pentax etc do have some nice cameras, of course, but the big two have more lens choices, more support and better performance in areas that matter to many even if they don't realise it at first (high ISO shooting is one area, for instance).

Nikon glass tends to be slightly more expensive overall. Canon has some glass options that Nikon doesn't have.

Both companies have fantastic options for the vast majority of shooters and you can't go too wrong. The exception to this, imho, is make sure that you don't end up with Nikon system that requires a motor on the lens as this will drive the cost of the lens up and limit your options.

Third party companies make mounts for both Canon and Nikon (and some others) which will also open your lens choices and budget up.

I remember the feeling when I got mine, all boxed up, so much to unpack and look at, so exciting and daunting, well, it was for me. I think it actually might have taken me a couple of days to take a pic cause I was scared. :D

I know what you mean :) I took a couple of snap shots inside last night, I just got home so too late again for me to have a play, but tomorrow I will be home at 4pm so will take some then!!

If your budget will allow, add the Canon 50 1.8 - it's cheap as chips and an excellent introduction to low light, fast glass shooting.

I saw one in the Camera Shop today, it was about $160, (I went in to get a UV filter to protect the lense) would this be the lense you were talking about, it said good for portraits to I think.

Guest belgian.blue

I just put a Canon 55OD [with twin lens] on layby :):rofl: :rofl:

Ended up going to JB's as most of the other stores I went to were on back order and JB's had 3 left. I'm really very excited about getting it next week sometime!

What would anyone recommend I sell my Pentax K1OOD super for? With a basic lens. Looked on Ebay and only found one but that was for $16O [with about 15 bids] :D when I paid over a grand for it.

I am quite happy with my Olympus but at the stage where I want to buy a macro lens, flash ect and I am starting to realise that second hand olympus stuff just isn,t around. Do the SLR experts believe that this is a good enough reason to swap brands?

I just put a Canon 55OD [with twin lens] on layby :laugh::rofl: :rofl:

Ended up going to JB's as most of the other stores I went to were on back order and JB's had 3 left. I'm really very excited about getting it next week sometime!

What would anyone recommend I sell my Pentax K1OOD super for? With a basic lens. Looked on Ebay and only found one but that was for $16O [with about 15 bids] :worship: when I paid over a grand for it.

Congrats on your new camera :rofl:

What would anyone recommend I sell my Pentax K1OOD super for? With a basic lens. Looked on Ebay and only found one but that was for $16O [with about 15 bids] :rofl: when I paid over a grand for it.

Oh bummer, I also paid close to $900.00 for a fancy Oly point n shoot 4 years ago, I'd be lucky to probably get around $60 for It now, so decided to just keep It. One thing I noticed about the second hand Canon Is that If In good cond. they really hold their price well.

Congrats on your new purchase though, It's always exciting to get new toys, I'm still excited about mine and It was a second hand one off e-bay :worship:

What would anyone recommend I sell my Pentax K1OOD super for? With a basic lens. Looked on Ebay and only found one but that was for $16O [with about 15 bids] :o when I paid over a grand for it.

Unfortunately, you've just discovered another reason to buy Canon and Nikon - their bodies hold at least some value over the long haul.

I think you're going to have to just take the loss, sell it for whatever you can get and put the money towards your new lens...you might get enough to pay for the whole lens, though in a quick look the pentax market doesn't seem very active right now :cry:

I am quite happy with my Olympus but at the stage where I want to buy a macro lens, flash ect and I am starting to realise that second hand olympus stuff just isn,t around. Do the SLR experts believe that this is a good enough reason to swap brands?

If you want to go macro, & you're on a tight budget, get the Olympus extention tube EX-25. And immedately all your lenses are macro! Combine that with the 12-60 SWD (or the cheaper 14-54 Mark II) & you can get some great images without having to spend a huge sum of money (well under $900 for both the tude & a 14-54 II brand new). However, even your kit lenses should be fine with the extention tude. You should be able to pick up the EX-25 brand new on eBay for under $200.

As for the flash. I hate flashwork, so I hardly use even the built-in flash. More to the point, what are you going to photograph that requires a good flash?