Keeping Entire Dogs

Red Fox

My parent's yard is split in two so currently our inseason bitch is in one half and the male in the other. They take it in turns coming into the house. I have also had an in season bitch at my place and just left her in the house while I was at work and the male was outside then when indoors then would take it in turns being crated.

A friend boards her boy when her girl is in season (the kennels she uses prefer to not have an in season bitch). And another friend who works from home just keeps them seperate via crating.

I just put the offending bitch in with another one for company and just don't let those two out with opposite sexes.

edited to say the dogs are kenneled.

Edited by oakway

For those who own entire dogs of both sexes, how do you manage when your girls are in season?

My yard is in two (dog proofed!) sections, plus I have an enclosed porch off thr front of my house. My entire boy is generally inside at night when I have a bitch in season, or he sleeps in (his usual spot) the trailer.

Never yet had an unplanned litter in 7 years of entire dogs on the premises with entire girls.

Sonia

Dog runs, crates and seperate yards.

Been doing it for 12 years and never had a problem.

Oh and there is absolutely no way I would board an entire in season bitch - ever!

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Our dogs have a large yard with several small sheds to sleep in. When a bitch is in a temporary fence about five feet high is put up to create a smaller yard within and one shed for bitch. The concrete has holes in it for the fence to stand up in so we can take it out and all that is left are a few one inch square holes in the concrete.

As we have a few bitches we usually put another one in for company. However we have one male that has had a habit of getting in sometimes. Like to know how as he is only about 11 inches tall at the shoulder.

Although we have one in now for about the last week and he hasn't gotten in so whatever I did differently must have worked.

I have owned entire bitches for many years, and always had other dogs at the same time that were either also entire bitches or neutered dogs.

My dogs have always run together and we do not kennels/runs etc.

When my bitches were in season they were either outside or inside with a bitch panty on.

Dynamics or aggressions have never been an issue here whether anyone was in season or not.

I would crate a bitch in season over night in the house, just to give her relief from the panties. So for me, the season thing was only a cleanliness issue and nothing else. I have high fences and have never had any problems with other dogs jumping in and any of mine jumping out.

Currently we have a desexed bitch and an entire male and are getting a new puppy bitch soon that will be remaining entire. So this will be a new thing for us, but I am not concerned.

We will keep them separate when she comes into season juggling crates.

I boarded my boy for a week, but only cause I was working and was worried he would sit outside the "bitches box" howling all night (I work nights). The bitches box is actually a yard and I was very confident she was secure in there, which she was, and he couldn't get to her but was worried about the noise factor. Only trouble was the kennel didn't follow my instructions to limit Miller's exercise and I got back a very, very sore boy with very worn pads. If I had been at home or only away for short periods of time I would have just did the swap around.

I bought a separate secure dog run from NFS, had concrete laid to put it on and attached a steel roof but I actually took it down as I never used it lol. I bought it to use when I had a bitch in season. What ive ended up doing though is just keeping the bitch inside. I bring the boys inside and crate them when I let the bitch outside to go to the loo. Works well for me as I can come home for lunch every day during the working week.

Depends on the dogs. I have a sex lunatic who howls and causes fights and won’t eat the entire time the bitch is in season. As a result either he goes on a holiday or the bitch is kept entirely separate up the front of the house and toileted in a separate yard. It is not an enjoyable period and I try to have as few entire girls as possible

For those who own entire dogs of both sexes, how do you manage when your girls are in season?

Boarding, seperate runs, crates..?

No real reason for asking, I'm just curious :laugh:

How do i manage it? Consistancy, a very watchful eye and mental stimulation for them both.

My back and side yard are seperate so I can have the dogs seperated that way. I also have them inside one at a time, rather then two in at the same time. When I leave my property; the bitch in season comes inside anyway, and the male is in the yard outside. Now that I have two bitches, I'll probably have to seperate the larger one with some type of temporary fencing incase the bitches come into together and have a falling out. But most likely; they'll just come inside together.

Seperate kennel runs while I am out and a divided house when we are home.

Im very lucky in that my dogs arnt sex maniacs and dont go crazy to get to each other.

Edited by Wolfsong

I once had a nice litter of seven from a crate mating!! The litter was planned but not at that time!! So now I rotate in the dog trailer as its very secure.

My boy doesnt go silly when girls are in season, he just stops eating for a few days.

I, unfortunately, also have a sex maniac here! He won't eat, he whinges, he whines, occasionally howls and runs the garden constantly like a mad thing - just trying to get a whiff of her!

We crate them in separate rooms of the house and toilet the bitch in an area the boys can't get to - doesn't seem to help much with the whinging, whineing and not eating but no unplanned pregnancies have eventuated!

Have resorted to sending one particular boy off to a friends place for a couple of weeks as am still showing him and he loses way too much weight during the in season period - he loses the weight in a flash and it then takes ages to get it back on him again.

It's a pain to deal with but worth it in the long run!

I have owned entire bitches for many years, and always had other dogs at the same time that were either also entire bitches or neutered dogs.

My dogs have always run together and we do not kennels/runs etc.

When my bitches were in season they were either outside or inside with a bitch panty on.

Dynamics or aggressions have never been an issue here whether anyone was in season or not.

I would crate a bitch in season over night in the house, just to give her relief from the panties. So for me, the season thing was only a cleanliness issue and nothing else. I have high fences and have never had any problems with other dogs jumping in and any of mine jumping out.

Currently we have a desexed bitch and an entire male and are getting a new puppy bitch soon that will be remaining entire. So this will be a new thing for us, but I am not concerned.

We will keep them separate when she comes into season juggling crates.

You will be like us.we had a desexed female and an entire male.then we got a new female puppy now 6 mth old. We are on 5 acres with seperate yards available but Its still going to be interesting as all our dogs are raised house dogs.and they are bullmastiffs.