What Do You Use To Walk Your Dog And Why?

aussielover

What do you use to walk your dog and why?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use to walk your dog?

• Flat collar and leash
    • Harness
    • front leading harness
    • Halti/head halter
    • check (choke) chain
    • martingale collar
    • I don't use a lead
    • other (please specify)
  2. 2. Do you use a retractable leash?

• Yes
    • No

I am interested to know what others use.

Mindy is walked in a flat lead and collar as per instructions from guide dogs.

If she was my own I would be tempted to use a harness of some sort though. I am worried about her accidently slipping out of the collar if she takes fright, or accidently pulling on her neck.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I walk my 3 they are all on prong collars and on leather leads. I can not risk them pulling me over, hence the prongs.

When I walk one they are on a martingale and leather lead.

But most of the time they are off lead.

Flat collar and leash for both of mine :rofl:

I'm totally against retractable leash they are an accident waiting to happen... or maybe because I've only seen stupid people using them on their dogs.

I use wide matingale style sighthound collars. They can't be backed out of easily. No flexi leashes on the streets - I hate those things in suburbia, too many dogs being walked along the footpaths on them with the owners having no control. How someone can't control a small dog on a flexi leash I don't know, but mostly they can't around here.

Most of my walking is done with dogs off lead. However, if they are walked in an area that is not off leash they are on a flat collar and normal lead. I do use a retractable lead when I'm moderating exercise on my old boy, or sometimes when I'm travelling and want to just toilet the dogs in an unfamiliar area. I have used head halters as a training tool on young dogs. Due to the ease that Whppets can slip collars, the Whippet wears a black dog Whippet collar, which is martingale. I prefer not to walk my dogs in a harness as I think it gives them more chance to pull, and I want them to associate a harness with tracking, not free walking.

Regarding retractable leads:

A friend's dog was killed by a car while on one. The owner did not notice the dog had wandered onto the road :rofl:

Another person required a lot stitches when one got tangled around her legs at the park.

I don't think they should be allowed at off leash parks.Dogs should be on a long line or a normal short lead. Or if you do choose to use a retractable leash at an off leash park, don't let your dog play with other dogs.

One got wrapped around my puppys leg which could have been disasterous if the other dog has taken off suddenly.

We use flat collar and lead for general walking and training , most of our dogs exercise comes from off lead zoomies on our property ( large rural ) they do not have access to more than an acre so love to bounce all over the rest of it.

When we road walk they have a flat collar and leather leash , all are good at loose lead walking and are responsive , as we are looking at tracking for the Rottie and Keisha we will be investing in tracking harness for them , but not just yet

am not keen on harnesses as family have had huskys and mals a harness is for PULLING LOL not fun , head collars are a training tool as are check collars ect , although we have them they dont get much use

if your puppy will loose lead walk , and you are able to confidently contain sudden pulling a flat collar is fine , if physical strength is the issue then a martingale collar often gives you enough grunt to pull them up sharp without loosing your arm or dragging your face along the ground ,

Apparently Cavvies should be walked on harnesses only?

Could someone confirm?

It's the first I've heard of this..

I have a Cav x ... never used a anything but flat collar on him and he is fine.

Whippets have flat or limited slips

Staffords have flat collars, or limited slip or martingales, it just depends on where I am and what I'm doing.

I sometimes use a check chain on a Stafford when it's gets a bit full of itself or needs a reminder of how we walk.

All dogs have the same soft leads, that are the same length

Apparently Cavvies should be walked on harnesses only?

Could someone confirm?

I have never heard this and I have a Cav.. However I do use a harness on him as he has a few breathing issues and I don't like the thought of pulling around his neck.

I hate retractable leashes for many reasons.. I think they are very dangerous.

Our big is walked on a flat collar and normal leash and the little one is walked on a regular harness and leash. When our big dog was younger she was walked on a head collar because she pulled so much it was almost impossible to walk her.. but with a bit of training aided by the head collar she now walks beautifully :rofl:.