Bull Mastiff As Watch Dog

ems999

I own a female bull mastiff and i read that they were supposed to be good watch dogs. But mine is hopeless and just wriggles her body and wags her tail when we have unexpected visitors. My question is do they become more protective with maturity. She is now 13months old and a big sook. Not that I want a guard dog but a few barks here and there might be ok. :confused:

Ask yourself what happens with visitors when you aren't there. It might be different.

Personally I think only a complete fool would enter a yard with a Bullmastiff present whether or not its barking.

Hopefully BM people will be along to advise you but I'd enjoy the fact that you've got a dog that looks the goods with a friendly nature. :confused:

I have only owned one Bullmastiff so far but I didn't notice any difference in his guarding by age. My boy is very friendly with people, he will wiggle greet some strangers that come to our door but others he stands still and observes and other times he barks and gets very angry. The important thing is that he listens to me when I tell him to stop. That said, when we're not home, it's a totally different story - he still isn't a big barker (which is good as I live in the 'burbs) but he will bare his teeth and make his intentions clear. I tested him out because I wanted to know.

We have a specific Bullmastiff thread here, you should come over and post some photos. :confused:

I own a female bull mastiff and i read that they were supposed to be good watch dogs. But mine is hopeless and just wriggles her body and wags her tail when we have unexpected visitors. My question is do they become more protective with maturity. She is now 13months old and a big sook. Not that I want a guard dog but a few barks here and there might be ok. :confused:

She sounds like a sweeite.

You can easily train her to bark when people arrive.

I agree with Poodlefan, I don't think many people would be game enopugh to enter your home with her there, whether she barks or not!

My two are friendly wiggly-bums when strangers come over whom I let into our house.

However I know for a fact that if we are not home and someone tries to enter the yard they bark their heads off.

My old dog was the opposite!

She would appear to be all fierce and tough and bark her head off (it actually sounded quite scary) if we were home and had visitors. One day a friend had left some stuff in our yard while were weren't there and had to climb over there fence to get it. Apparently Clover just stared at her, then came and licked her! Useless guard dog!

We also had cleaners who would come when we were out and they said Clover never gave them any trouble.

she is still a baby, give her time. Plus females can take longer or have less territoriality then a male. I would appreciate more the fact you have a friendly dog then one that barks constantly. I also wouldnt bother teaching a dog to bark when someone comes as that can open the door to nuscience barking through self rewarding behaviour

she is still a baby, give her time. Plus females can take longer or have less territoriality then a male. I would appreciate more the fact you have a friendly dog then one that barks constantly. I also wouldnt bother teaching a dog to bark when someone comes as that can open the door to nuscience barking through self rewarding behaviour

I agree

Appreciate her for what she does. Even if it is wiggle her bum

Bullmastiffs are good guard dogs if aroused but they are silent dogs actually. Not bred to bark. But they of course do and will.

They were bred as the game keepers extra eyes.

Mines a 3 and 1/2 year old cross breed mastiff, but read my free to good home thread ;) :p She's a great guard dog, makes a hell of alot of noise........trying to get in the house safely beside me :rofl:

never mind , I had a rottie that I thought for years was broken , all kids allowed in our yard with us home or not , then had some hawkers come calling while I was having a cuppa with a neighbour , despite the sign on the gate straight up to the door , watched her come out from behind the bush in the garden and corner them at the door NOT ONE Woof but I had to go and move her so they could leave LOL , next time read the sign and go to the front door LOL not in the back gate