Comment Made By Rspca Chief Executive Mr. Michael Link

Moselle

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Mr. Linke's statement could prove to be of detriment to the staffy or mastiff?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT SURE

Hi. Its Michael Linke here, CEO RSPCA ACT.

Thanks for the support everyone. You are all pretty much on the ball. My comments were meant generically to point out breed and colour confusion, one reason (of many) why BSL fails. I am, as is current RSPCA national policy, opposed to BSL.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michael

Good to see you on board and thanks for defending the much-maligned pitbull on Monday in the Canberra Times.. Are you able to explain, if opposition to BSL is RSPCA national policy, why Hugh Wirth is so vocal about pitbulls - shouldn't he be towing the national policy line? Thanks.

I am, as is current RSPCA national policy, opposed to BSL.

Thank you for posting to clarify.

I'm pleased about the policy opposing BSL. It will take the emphasis re dogs & safety, back to where it always should have been. On the behaviours of humans as they influence the behaviours of dogs. Taking the action towards prevention, not pursuing dog breeds.

Thanks for the support everyone. You are all pretty much on the ball. My comments were meant generically to point out breed and colour confusion, one reason (of many) why BSL fails. I am, as is current RSPCA national policy, opposed to BSL.

"RSPCA ACT Chief executive, Michael Linke, who owns an american pit bull terrier, said it was a much maligned breed and that the dogs which attacked Harry could have been mastiffs, staffordshire bull terriers or cross breeds.

Hello Mr. Linke (I will aim to email you via the RSPCA ACT website to confirm that this post is indeed from you, lol). I commend that you oppose BSL, an act that I am totally in agreeance with. I still insist that naming the staffy and mastiff is not exactly taking a "generic" route, is it? lol, it is actually naming the product, lol.

You may not have set out to directly blame the staffy or mastiff but it could easily be interpreted as such by the public. You specifically stated that THE DOGS WHICH ATTACKED HARRY COULD HAVE BEEN MASTIFF, STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS OR CROSSBREEDS. Did you find it absolutely imperative to name names?

On your next edit of the original post/poll Moselle, you might like to correct the spelling of Mr Linke's name in the thread title.

It's always polite to spell people's names correctly.

It is always polite to go the extra mile and get one's spelling correct too given that most of us have access to 'spellcheck'....and yet how many people bother?

I do apologise for leaving out a vowel in Mr. LinkE's surname and NO I wont make attempts to correct it as I dont want to stand accused of having made further changes, lol.

Hey Curlybert Hugh is a Dinosaur from and other age and past his used buy date.

Like an off bottle of milk in the fridge among fresh ones, when he flips that lid a fetid rancid stench that resides within is let out, the stink is unbearable. So much so that it sets up a chain reaction of many angry red faces and vomiting emotes around the globe.

God help any who drink from that bottle.

Rancid milk can't be reborn.

Out with the old in with the new.

Crazy thread.

:laugh:

"RSPCA ACT Chief executive, Michael Linke, who owns an american pit bull terrier, said it was a much maligned breed and that the dogs which attacked Harry could have been mastiffs, staffordshire bull terriers or cross breeds.

Hello Mr. Linke (I will aim to email you via the RSPCA ACT website to confirm that this post is indeed from you, lol). I commend that you oppose BSL, an act that I am totally in agreeance with. I still insist that naming the staffy and mastiff is not exactly taking a "generic" route, is it? lol, it is actually naming the product, lol.

You may not have set out to directly blame the staffy or mastiff but it could easily be interpreted as such by the public. You specifically stated that THE DOGS WHICH ATTACKED HARRY COULD HAVE BEEN MASTIFF, STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS OR CROSSBREEDS. Did you find it absolutely imperative to name names?

Well yes because the Pitt bull was named outright with no consideration whether it had been correctly identified, therefor, one might state the other breeds that it commonly gets confused with. I don't see it as dropping these breeds in the s!&t, simply pointing out that these dogs have possibly been incorrectly and unfairly labled Pitt Bulls when in fact they could have another breed or breeds that are commonly labled the same, including crossbreds. JMHO :laugh:

was to shift the blame from, say, the japanese to the chinese, wouldn't that serve to open a can of worms especially given that there was no proof to substantiate such.

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THESE DOGS ARE PITBULLS. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE WHAT BREED OR CROSS THESE DOGS ARE.

What part of "could'' do you not understand???????? YES Staffordshire Bull Terriers COULD attack another dog.

The worst dog fight I have ever seen was between a Labrador and two working sheep dogs.

I still refuse to respond to a poll referring to "staffies" - What breed are you referring to?

Edited by Sandra777

lol.

Keep on digging.

digging.jpg

I don't think the general public would mistake, say, an Afghan or a Maltese for a pitbull. They might mistake a Stafford or a cross-breed though. I don't think Mr Linke would have quite got the point (about misreporting due to breed misidentification) across had he chosen Afghans or Maltese as a comparison.

That is great to hear.

Hey Curlybert Hugh is a Dinosaur from and other age and past his used buy date.

Like an off bottle of milk in the fridge among fresh ones, when he flips that lid a fetid rancid stench that resides within is let out, the stink is unbearable. So much so that it sets up a chain reaction of many angry red faces and vomiting emotes around the globe.

God help any who drink from that bottle.

Rancid milk can't be reborn.

Out with the old in with the new.

Crazy thread.

:laugh:

:dummy::eek:

pretty sure poll results speak for themselves, yes?

Nope, not at all :confused: . It is simply showing the sentiments of DOL posters and not the public in general, lol. I must say that I am not all that surprised at the results, I have been reading DOL for a number of years, long before I joined so I had a pretty clear view as to the mentality around here, basically I had the day off yesterday and even though I suspected that the outcome would be as it has turned out I still felt like proceeding with the poll, at the end of the day it was fun :confused: , no regrets here and btw....I find Mr. Linke's explanation relating to his statement to be rather shallow, lol, his original statement was far from being "generic."

Edited by Moselle