New Puppy With Young Child? Am I Asking For Trouble?

vernie

Hi Guys,

Just a quick Question...

We have an 18 month old little girl who has always been around dogs.

Our 7 year old Lab died recently and we are now considering getting a lab puppy.

Are we crazy for getting a puppy when our daughter is still so young?

i just feel that if we don't do it now, we will be waiting a few more years when we have finished having our family and i will miss having another furry friend around

as long as a child is taught to behave properly with a puppy, dog, cat, any animal, and taught compassion, patience and caring :laugh: I don't see a problem.

You are already probably up early, running around, cleaning up messes, playing games and taking walks :rofl::laugh::)

I had a mixture of all ages of pets when my angels! were born, growing up. It was the best time of my life. :rofl:

as long as a child is taught to behave properly with a puppy, dog, cat, any animal, and taught compassion, patience and caring :laugh: I don't see a problem.

You are already probably up early, running around, cleaning up messes, playing games and taking walks :rofl::laugh::)

I had a mixture of all ages of pets when my angels! were born, growing up. It was the best time of my life. :rofl:

Agree with Monah

As long as you can manage your time with a puppy and young kids it can be done.

We breed so always have puppies & dogs around of varying ages as well as 4 kids ranging from 6 years to 6 months, including a toddler.

Of course there are going to be some trying times and some nips and some bowl-overs, but it is all worth it in the end.

My kids have no idea what life's like without the dogs around the place and as they age they become the best of friends.

It is a lot of work though, and you need to be sure you have the patience, time and know-how to safely raise kids and dogs together.

i had a rotti who i got 6 months before i had my first worked fine, we just made him learn real quick to watch her and he only knocked her over once (he was amazing i have a pic of her sitting on him).

I just put a deposit on a pup and have a 9 month old a 3 year old and a 8 year old.

well our other dog, was perfect around our bub and our bub was always gentle around him!

they had such a lovely relationship :laugh:

the new puppy will def give her a run for her money and it will be like having another toddler in the house!!!

i'm up for it tho!!

I do think the trick is to have the right facilities. So that bub and pup can be kept separate and supervised when together.

Baby gates and things.

So you're are not always on the look out.

If well managed, it could be fun. :laugh:

Yes, should be fine if you are willing to dedicate the time and effort into trianing both baby and puppy!

A few of the other puppy raisers have young children <3yrs old and the labby puppies all do fine with them. One of the experienced puppy raisers have an older lab, a cat and 7 kids! 2 are under 3 years old.

My own lab puppy is very gentle with little children (even though she is a mad thing with us!).

You might want to look at doing some crate training very useful for separating pup and baby when you can't watch them both.

Do you definitely want another lab though? While I don't think there will be a problem if you go to a good breeder and invest some time in training, maybe a smaller breed would be more suitable with a young child? I'm sure you know how labs can get excited an accidently knock children over.

I think its fine as others have mentioned :laugh: i was raised with labs and sure sometimes as we got older one of us would accidently get knocked over but it was nothing to us we knew the dog didnt mean it and we didnt know any diff it was all fun and games :) and i think labs just make the most awesome family pets. Just make sure you do your homework with breeders and ask all the right questions there is alot of dodgy ppl breeding them as well as alot of great ppl.

thanks guys!!

it all sounds very promising!!

both puppy and bubs can be separated if needed when playing outside (deck/gate/back yard).

i have found the breeder through this site and all looks very positive!!

i know any puppy is going be hard work - and lab tails have a mind of their own, so i am excepting a few little hic cups when it comes to being knocked over!

I have had 2 pure bred black labs in the past (one of them a failed guide dog, and one a beautiful crazy thing) and can't wait to have another!

I think if you have the time to devote to raising the puppy and your child you should be fine. I would assume that you already know to keep an eye on both dog and baby and not to leave them together unsupervised.

I agree with the other suggestions about crate training. However if you have the time and energy I think you would be fine :D . Just make sure you come back with photo's when you get your pup :rolleyes:

I think you would be a very suitable puppy owner.

:rolleyes: I'm sure you're home a lot, and used to dealing with toilet time a lot :)

Plus you can teach your child good dog manners from a young age. You never forget those early life lessons :(

Sorry to hear you lost your lab :D

Sounds like you will be fine :rolleyes:

Like others, I don't think you are asking for trouble, provided you have plenty of energy, training smarts (kids and dogs) and a strong, assertive personality to implement discipline and stick with your plans.

grrrrr, lost entire post.

first, sorry for your loss of your lab. :( I hope the family is moving on from that.

did you have the 7yo from a pup ? If so, you'll know the damage they can cause if not trained / kept occupied, including nipping your little one.

consider where the pup would sleep.

lots of other stuff I put in the post I lost :rolleyes: :D but take a look in puppy problems and consider some of those issues.

If all good, go for it !!!! Labs are such loving and affectionate family dogs when trained and treated right.

If your daughter is a gentle natured child you shouldn't have a problem. She hasn't hit the terrible twos yet but you know your child and whether this is likely to be problem. The one most important rule with a toddler and a puppy is that the toddler must not try to pick the puppy up, ever. If she wants to cuddle the puppy she needs to be taught that she must sit down to do it. With a Lab it is only going to be a problem for a couple of months and then the puppy will be too big for her to lift and will be a lot less breakable. Little kids do tend to drop and break puppies if the parents are not very vigilant about supervision. This is one of the reasons that you are probably off with a med-large dog rather than a small one.

If you are happy for the dog to lick your daughter and occasionally knock her over then a Lab should be fine.

I have a 23 month old, 4 year old and 6 year old and we just got another golden puppy! He is so adorable. I was up each night fixing blankets and getting dropped dummies so it's been easy to take Archer to the toilet at those times.

He has his crate set up in my ensuite and when the kids are running around being loud he just takes himself off to his crate for a rest. Even the youngest knows that the crate is out of bounds and never disturbs him. I'm at home at the moment so feeding a puppy lunch is no problem and he loves the car ride to school. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with your new puppy.

I have a 23 month old, 4 year old and 6 year old and we just got another golden puppy! He is so adorable. I was up each night fixing blankets and getting dropped dummies so it's been easy to take Archer to the toilet at those times.

He has his crate set up in my ensuite and when the kids are running around being loud he just takes himself off to his crate for a rest. Even the youngest knows that the crate is out of bounds and never disturbs him. I'm at home at the moment so feeding a puppy lunch is no problem and he loves the car ride to school. :laugh:

Good Luck with your new puppy.

Oh that sounds lovely!! :laugh:

Almost makes me clucky for more babies and puppies!! Almost... :rofl:

I find its the kids you have to worry about- they have taught my good dog some naughty habits!!! :laugh:

I love the relationship between kids and dogs. Makes the heart sing. :laugh:

thanks guys!!

i really appreciate all your help!!

our previous lab just took himself off to his kennel whenver he got over it :laugh: he really was the best thing ever.

i got him as a pup, and even tho he was pretty crazy and ate his way through several hoses, weatherboards etc, he turned out to be the most beautiful thing ever. one day he just sat next to me and became this supercool, chilled out buddie.

crazy daisy - i too am up doing the dummy run! too funny!!

we go collect out new little buddie on sunday, so i shall post some pics of him then!!

in the meantime, i'll jump over to the lab forum.

happy days! :laugh: