Buying A Sbt Pup

also another question i have the breeder is talking about keeping a female from the same litter and putting her father back over her.is this done a lot.i know a lot of people have different opionions on this

No, it is not done a lot. It is not uncommon for a sire and a dam to share some common ancestors, however, this close a mating is extremely uncommon. Occassionally in the past these types of matings have been done by extremely experienced breeders who understand the 'lines' behind these dogs and who are striving for a particular outcome, and often where the gene pool is very small (not the case with the SBT). Clearly, this person is not an experienced breeder, and I would struggle to understand why it would be necessary to undertake such a risky mating (the closer the mating the higher the risk of getting some nasty recessive condition come through) in a breed like the SBT where the gene pool is quite large. Most breeders strive to put their bitches to the best dog for that bitch, and often that dog is owned by some one else. In this instance I really feel that this person wants to use the father over the daughter just because that's what they have in their yard.

Agreed. I know of a couple of very experienced breeders (of my own breed) who have done an uncle/niece or Grandfather/Grandaughter mating.

In the case of the Grandfather/Grandaughter mating, years of planning went in, it was an AI (the sire had passed away) and he was an extremely successful show dog (one of the most successful of his breed ever in Australia).

I would run a mile from any new breeder who was talking about a father/daughter mating unless they had a VERY good reason for it and support from a more experienced, established breeder.

Does this breeder also own the sire? Is he titled? (Letters CH or Gr CH before his name for show titles, or letters -eg CD, ET, ADM- after his name for sporting titles) Does she show or trial her dogs? Why has she chosen this particular pair? With so many excellent examples of the breed around (SBT) a good breeder will more often look outside their own backyard when deciding on a mating :laugh:

also another question i have the breeder is talking about keeping a female from the same litter and putting her father back over her.is this done a lot.i know a lot of people have different opionions on this

No, it is not done a lot. It is not uncommon for a sire and a dam to share some common ancestors, however, this close a mating is extremely uncommon. Occassionally in the past these types of matings have been done by extremely experienced breeders who understand the 'lines' behind these dogs and who are striving for a particular outcome, and often where the gene pool is very small (not the case with the SBT). Clearly, this person is not an experienced breeder, and I would struggle to understand why it would be necessary to undertake such a risky mating (the closer the mating the higher the risk of getting some nasty recessive condition come through) in a breed like the SBT where the gene pool is quite large. Most breeders strive to put their bitches to the best dog for that bitch, and often that dog is owned by some one else. In this instance I really feel that this person wants to use the father over the daughter just because that's what they have in their yard.

Agreed. I know of a couple of very experienced breeders (of my own breed) who have done an uncle/niece or Grandfather/Grandaughter mating.

In the case of the Grandfather/Grandaughter mating, years of planning went in, it was an AI (the sire had passed away) and he was an extremely successful show dog (one of the most successful of his breed ever in Australia).

I would run a mile from any new breeder who was talking about a father/daughter mating unless they had a VERY good reason for it and support from a more experienced, established breeder.

Does this breeder also own the sire? Is he titled? (Letters CH or Gr CH before his name for show titles, or letters -eg CD, ET, ADM- after his name for sporting titles) Does she show or trial her dogs? Why has she chosen this particular pair? With so many excellent examples of the breed around (SBT) a good breeder will more often look outside their own backyard when deciding on a mating :laugh:

hi again yes she also owns the sire he is a blue fawn,no she doesnt show and im not sure if she does any other activities with these parents.also another thing is how old must the sire be to register the pups,she said the pups mum was 12mths in jan,the father was 12 mths at the end of may.if the pups are 2 weeks now i dont see any possible way he would have been over 12mths as i thought they had to be(for the litter to be registered)when these pups were conceived

i have a couple of excellent pms sent to me from people more knowledgble, and based on this have decided to look elsewhere for my new family member

thank you everyone for your help

An excellent decision made... you won't regret it...

There are lots of very good ethical SBT breeders here on DOL... I'd definitely be looking up the breeder pages here and getting into contact with some of them.

T.

hi again everyone,i think i will have to have a serious talk to my children and hubbie tonight and explain what has been said here like i said im just looking out for whats best for us and our new pup.a dog is a lifelong commitment.i want to make sure we get the right dog.

Father daughter matings are not for the novice breeder. There have been a few father/daughter matings in the breed in the last few years, they have produced some stunning and valuable contributions to the breed, they have however been done by those who know the lines, know the dogs and know what they want to achieve from it.

That type of mating has it's place in dog breeding but it's not for those who are producing dilutes ( blue )

Good on you for walking away.