Help Fussy Dog With Joint Guard

tlc

Hi Guys, Cooper has been to the vets today just for yearly Vacc and check up. A few weeks ago he had a slight limp in his back leg seemingly from his hip but after a week of rest he was all good no more limp. I asked the vet today about it and he checked his hips and said that the right one he didn't seem to be able to extend it all the way back like he could the left one.

He asked me if I wanted to put him on joint gaurd so I did but he has to have 1/2 scoop morning and 1/2 scoop at night. So fast forward to my dilemma, Coopers diet is Eagle Pack, and RMB so what the heck do I put the joint gaurd in??

He wont eat canned food, I did buy the fish for dog tins to try but no luck. I do know he will eat the tiny tins of cat food (dine) but at $120 a pop that is just not practical. I may have to try sardines but apart from that I can't think of anything else. What do others who have thier dogs on this use? If it was any of the other 3 It wouldn't be an issue.

Can I mix it with milk?

Also for the ones who have thier dogs on Joint gaurd how have you found it? Are there other brands of something similar?

Edited by tlc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mix mine in with a spoon of yoghurt or an egg or tuna or mince depending on what they are eating.

So I guess I'd be putting yoghurt or something in with the eagle pack and feeding it that way.

Edited by ness

Well that's the thing, I have only just found a diet that really suits him and he is perfect weight, so I didn't want to have to add more to his daily amount, but I just know if I mix anything with his EP he wont eat it. So my only option is a small amount of something wet that I know he will eat. But trying to think of something that is not going to cost a fortune. Good idea about the tuna, that may work, might try a small tin to begin with.

Mine get theirs in goat's milk every morning.

I warm the milk a bit and the Jointguard mixes easily into it. :D

I'd highly recommend the product but shop around.. prices vary amazingly. There is a thread here about the cheapest sources of it.

Thanks PF, I wondered if it was just a product you have to buy from the vets, if he stays on it long term then I will definatly have to shop around for a good price. The tub I got says it should last about 160 days for his weight.

Milk might be the go, I will have to try a few different things to see what is going to be the easiest to manage. I wonder how it tastes and if it is bitter?

I will go see if I can find the other thread and have a read. Thanks again.

Thanks PF, I wondered if it was just a product you have to buy from the vets, if he stays on it long term then I will definatly have to shop around for a good price. The tub I got says it should last about 160 days for his weight.

Milk might be the go, I will have to try a few different things to see what is going to be the easiest to manage. I wonder how it tastes and if it is bitter?

I will go see if I can find the other thread and have a read. Thanks again.

No, you can buy it online and even in Petbarn which charges $$$$$$ :)

I've never tasted it ;) but none of my dogs have any issues slurping it down. :D

Edited by poodlefan

I sprinkle the Joint Guard directly onto kibble :D

Or how about just using a bit of water to mix up the Joint Guard and putting that with the kibble? It would only be a tiny amount...

Edited to add: You can get Joint Guard chewable liver treats instead!

Edited by wuffles

Thanks so much for the advice, I have somewhere to start at least, I came home with the fish for dogs thinking that would be a winner but no he screwed his nose up at that, the fussy little toad. So glad i have some other things to try, I went into panic mode thinking :D I won't be able to get him to take it. The chewable ones sound good too!

Thanks again.

was going to suggest goat milk too

Can you just buy goats milk in the supermarket?

Yep!! It tends to be with the "special milks". I think Paul's makes the one I buy.

I've bought it for ages and have never tasted it either. I probably should.

Edited by poodlefan

Can you just buy goats milk in the supermarket?

Sometimes I see it at Woolies/Coles and sometimes I don't... just have a look.

My parents usually gets goat milk through work (they work in the food industry - both are chefs).

Methinks we spoil our dogs a bit CW EW. ;)

Maybe just a tiny little bit :) :D

Goats milk doesn't taste that bad.. I prefer it over cow milk (but I'm been having a lot of low fat milk lately)

Oh and another thing I wonder is what would you guys call over exercising? The vet said don't over exercise. How do you really know how much exercise they do need.

His weight is perfect and at this time of the year none of my lot probley get enough exercise due to the weather. but on an average day weather permitting they would get an hour sometimes once sometimes twice a day. The vet said this is ok.

The thing is I guess it depends on what sort of exercise, mine have free running and so most of the hour for Cooper is spent running. I wonder if this would be considered too much? Baring in mind he doesn't think he has a major problem but without doing an xray he can't be sure but he is not presenting with anything other than not being able to stretch his right leg right out, so at this point he didn't think an xray was warranted.

The vet did say if down the track he needed to be sedated for anything else he would xray his hips just to have a look. He also said if he had hip dysplasia it would have presented itself much earlier on and he would be lame after exercise which he has never been and he has always been an active dog when out and about. He just said he could have bad hips which may get worse as he gets older hence the joint gaurd.

Just sprinkle it over the kibble as it has “no taste, no smell" which is one of the benefits :D so it shouldn't have to be mixed with anything.

ETA - the link to their website about this product

http://www.jointguard.com.au/dogs_why-is-it-unique.php

Thanks for that I had tried earlier to get onto the website but i couldnt get it to work but that link worked fine!

I am heading out to take the dogs for a run now so Ill head to the supermarket to get some goats milk and will give that a try, will also try it just on his dry but I can see if all just going to the bottom of the bowl and not into his tummy!

Oh and another thing I wonder is what would you guys call over exercising? The vet said don't over exercise. How do you really know how much exercise they do need.

His weight is perfect and at this time of the year none of my lot probley get enough exercise due to the weather. but on an average day weather permitting they would get an hour sometimes once sometimes twice a day. The vet said this is ok.

The thing is I guess it depends on what sort of exercise, mine have free running and so most of the hour for Cooper is spent running. I wonder if this would be considered too much? Baring in mind he doesn't think he has a major problem but without doing an xray he can't be sure but he is not presenting with anything other than not being able to stretch his right leg right out, so at this point he didn't think an xray was warranted.

The vet did say if down the track he needed to be sedated for anything else he would xray his hips just to have a look. He also said if he had hip dysplasia it would have presented itself much earlier on and he would be lame after exercise which he has never been and he has always been an active dog when out and about. He just said he could have bad hips which may get worse as he gets older hence the joint gaurd.

Some light walking on the grass area... I would break it up if Cooper likes running. Like, let him run for 10 minutes, and let him rest for about 5-10 minutes, run again for 10 minutes, and then rest for 5-10 minutes. Our walks is about 1 hour long, but i would say about 30min is actual walk and other 30 minutes is resting.. :D

I do this with Charlie.. he loves his walks, so we walk for 10 minutes, then we sit somewhere for about 10-15 minutes watching the scenery (or do some trick training).. then continue on the walks. Avoid hills and steps, because that's puts too much pressure on joints. Also, avoid uneven surfaces (like sand, gravels etc).

I watch Charlie's body language and go with my gut feeling when Charlie has enough. He will slow down a little bit and gets a slight limp.. that's when I pick him up and carrying him, or it's time to go home. But, he is pretty good on letting me know he has enough because he asked to be carried.

Swimming is good too :)