Governingdog/cat Bodies In Victoria

szafir

I was hoping someone could help to answer my question, even though it's not strictly dog related (sorry I couldn't find the right place to post it). If DOGS Vic is the governing body for dogs, what is the organisation for cats? Is there more than one?

I'm new to showing cats, but as far as I know there is the Governing Council of The Cat Fancy, The Feline Control Council Of Victoria and The Cat Association Of Victoria. Cat shows are much more confusing than dog shows :p

What Miranda said, basically the 2, CAV is yet to gain real recognition to show, in fact was voted against recognition I believe at the last FCCV meeting. A person can however only belong to one of the groups, either FCCV or GCCFV, cats can only be registered with one, not both, and they both generally hold their shows on the same day - there are only a couple of shows a year, such as the Nationals, where members of both groups can compete together. The FCCV is more formal, where it is closed judging shows, and cats must be benched with white curtains, GCCFV judging is open, so you can here what the judges like or dislike about a cat, and any colour is allowed for curtains, so they are generally selected to complement the cats colouring. Breeders that belong to either organisation have a code of ethics they need to adhere to in the breeding of their cats.

Cats are exhibited in banks of adjoining wire cages, each cat has its own internal curtains on three sides of it's cage blocking it's view of it's neighbours. Uniform white curtaining is required by smost councils, fancy curtains are allowed by others, most allow fancy curtains after judging is completed and the show is open to public viewing.

in Victoria, FCCV insist on white curtains, GCCFV allow multi coloured curtains, so you can select a colour that really enhances the breed, and shows them off to their best.

Waratah- as they recognise cat breeds and colours that are not recognised by either FCCV or GCCFV, not a huge no of breeders I know end to belong to Waratah, as it is not easy swapping cats from Waratah to either of the 2 VIC bodies, which a breeder would need to do to use the cats in their breeding program. Believe other state bodies in other states also have the same problems with Waratah.