Pets For Therapy?

Michelleva

I was wondering if anyone here has a dog that they visit nursing homes, hospitals and the like with? I'm in Victoria SE suburbs and am starting to think my dog could have the potential for doing this kind of work down the track. Georgia is a 6 month old sheltie and still a bit too excitable and jumpy to actually do it now, but she LOVES all people, especially kids.

We're attending dog obedience every week, which we plan to continue. Is there any other training I should be doing to groom her for this type of work. I think she'd love it, and I would too.

What sort of attributes does a dog need to have to do it. Also if anyone knows any organisations in my area that organise this sort of thing, I'd love to know. I'm in the Narre Warren/Berwick area.

I used to have my Border Collies visiting in a couple of nursing homes and a palliative care cente. It's a great thing to do.

Delta Pet partners have an accreditation scheme - once you and your dog pass the test, you are able to work under the Delta 'banner', and they organise insurance etc.

Here's a link - there's a page with the State contacts, and you can also find info about the program and the test.

Delta Pet Partners

That is a lovely idea!! :thumbsup::)

A (very young) friend of my mother - in law's was diagnosed with cancer last year. His parents bought him a Cavvie puppy and the dog goes everywhere with him, chemo etc. The sad truth is that this guy probably won't see this Christmas, but by all accounts he was lucky to see last Christmas. His doctors believe his dog has a lot to do with it - his state of mind. He has a reason to keep going, to tend to the dog etc.

There has been heaps of research on the impact an animal has on the elderly and terminal patients. There should be more of this kind of thing. It doesn't hurt to do someone else a good deed. And if a pat and a hello from a wagging tail is it, how hard can it be?

Thanks Fran, I've sent Terranik a PM.

That is a lovely idea!! :thumbsup::)

A (very young) friend of my mother - in law's was diagnosed with cancer last year. His parents bought him a Cavvie puppy and the dog goes everywhere with him, chemo etc. The sad truth is that this guy probably won't see this Christmas, but by all accounts he was lucky to see last Christmas. His doctors believe his dog has a lot to do with it - his state of mind. He has a reason to keep going, to tend to the dog etc.

There has been heaps of research on the impact an animal has on the elderly and terminal patients. There should be more of this kind of thing. It doesn't hurt to do someone else a good deed. And if a pat and a hello from a wagging tail is it, how hard can it be?

I was prompted by a show on TV last night which showed a dog going in and visiting elderly residents, the dog really lifted their spirits and it made me think maybe Georgia would be good at that. Its something I've always thought of doing personally, not necessarily with a dog, but I think if we can do it together it would be even better. I just need her to grow up a little bit, she's a fairly sensible puppy but like all pups she can get a bit over the top at times.

I'll check out the Delta link too, thanks.

I'm about to have both of my girls assessed with Delta and I'm really looking forward to it. We now have a facility here in town it is the kids ward at our local hospital. I have also taken my 4 (not altogether) to a couple of local facilities to visit family members in respite. The dogs enjoy it and so do the residents.

Here is some recent pics of my boys visiting

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=199939

Is there any facilities in your local area that would be open to you doing a few casual visits? I think with Delta the dog has to be over 12 months.

I'm about to have both of my girls assessed with Delta and I'm really looking forward to it. We now have a facility here in town it is the kids ward at our local hospital. I have also taken my 4 (not altogether) to a couple of local facilities to visit family members in respite. The dogs enjoy it and so do the residents.

Here is some recent pics of my boys visiting

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=199939

Is there any facilities in your local area that would be open to you doing a few casual visits? I think with Delta the dog has to be over 12 months.

Those pics are amazing, thanks for sharing them. I'm unsure whether anyone would accept me just for casual visits. This idea only popped into my head last night, and I did a bit of googling then came and asked in here. I need to be mindful of the fact that she is only a 6 month old puppy. So yes, she can be quite excitable but there's something about her, she's a bit of an old soul to me. It probably sounds strange, but she's got a calmness at times, which doesn't seem to fit the stereotype of a puppy. Ok I'm gushing, I better shut up. :)

I visit with Cindy through PALS-the Lort Smith run it.

I love it and so does Cindy.

We are very short of volunteers so PM me if you would like to know more.

The link is http://www.lortsmith.com/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=358

I'll PM you.

The work you do with Jedi and Delta is a total credit to you Nik. I wish there was a branch up here.

Thanks Fran. He really enjoys it! We hadn't been for a couple of weeks because we were down in Melbourne and we had our first session back on Sunday... When we got to the car park of the nursing home, Jedi started screaming with delight!!!! He was SO excited! :thumbsup:

I can't believe there's no pet therapy up where you are! That really sucks!

My lab Rover is certified delta pet therapy dog :laugh:

My mum takes him weekly to a nursing home, manly hospital and the sydney childrens hopsital.

Rover is SOOO suitable!! He is awesome! :)

I've wanted to do it with Kivi forever, but I don't know that he'd pass... He's super laid back around people and will happily sit there and let people cuddle and pat him pretty much forever, but he's not so great on the "walking past another dog and showing no more than a passing interest" thing. He is a bit shaky on that one. He can do it right up until the other dog is almost on top of him and then it all falls apart. Everything else on the quick assessment list he can do.

The work you do with Jedi and Delta is a total credit to you Nik. I wish there was a branch up here.

Thanks Fran. He really enjoys it! We hadn't been for a couple of weeks because we were down in Melbourne and we had our first session back on Sunday... When we got to the car park of the nursing home, Jedi started screaming with delight!!!! He was SO excited! :confused:

I can't believe there's no pet therapy up where you are! That really sucks!

I had a look at the Delta website and the closest accredited trainers are 4 hours away :rofl: Is it regular training often or is it a week-long sorta thing?

Someone suggested that Charlie should be one (pre sickness) because he has the right temperament for it and he is really really good with children.

I love Rover and Jedi. At the picnic, I kept sneaking pats and cuddles whenever they were close by :confused:

In my experience, the dogs really love the work - and that's important - that pleasure in the interaction goes through to the clients. My Kirra gives beautiful eye contact - her registered name is Khayoz Sweet Soul Music - and I always feel that she is sweet soul music for people she visits. (She's also little and neat enough to be put up on beds where appropriate. I can remember her doing that one time for a lovely lady in the palliative care centre - the lady was obviously used to having an animal next to her in the bed, and she could just easily rest her hand on Kirra while we were talking.

One thing to bear in mind is that the dogs can find it fairly stressful - they're concentrating hard if they're working well. I used to do about half an hour, three-quarters of an hour, then swap dogs.

I don't think my first therapy dog would have passed the Delta test about other dogs. Another client in the palliative care centre had a great laugh one day when I had to "hide" in her room because there was a labrador wandering loose around the place, and another one another day when a patient's little JRT was wandering around. The patient thought it was great fun that she was helping to protect my big boofy BC from the little JRT :confused:

My current two now only do visits at the aged care facility where my aunt lives - it's very dog friendly, and staff and residents enjoy visits from the dogs. Often they love to talk about dogs they've had in the past.

It's great if the dogs have some special tricks they can do. My first therapy dog, a BC called Sam, used to peel and eat his own bananas. I'd forgotten he did that until he was sitting up on a chair beside a patient's bed in the palliative care centre, and kept looking at her bananas. When I explained, she said to give him one - and then really enjoyed watching him peel and eat it :rofl: . So I used to have to go in with a banana in my pocket, and then some long term patients would have bananas for him, and sometime staff would provide one to show a new patient what the dog could do. :rofl: His antics even made it into a lecture the head of palliative care was giving to med students one day.

It is a great thing to do with your dog/s - and well done in particular on Zero passing his test - that's awesome.