My Dog Advert, Furious

Monah

In the August issue of Marie Claire magazine, pages 214 to 215, is a two page glossy advert for My Dog.

I have written to both the magazine and My Dog with my concerns.

The main concerns I have are that the dog in question is mentioned as a 'beaglier' :laugh:

most of the ad is about what a great dog this is

the person bought the dog on IMPULSE at a PET SHOP when he (Nelson) was just 8 weeks old, so obviousy left the mother a little earlier.

The ad shows an attractive , fit, professional, intelligent woman (one we would all like to emulate).

I am furious that a magazine who promotes itself as a voice for humane treatment of all, and a dog food company (belongs to the Mars group!! bye bye Mars!) can use an ad like this to pull at heart strings and promote all the worse things aboutt purchasing an animal.

If anyone else feels like protesting the addresses are

www.mydog.com.au

go to contact us and there is space for comments.

and

[email protected] (email address)

yes, I'm barking mad. But this really craps me off. ;)

Edited by Monah

You're right....Marie Claire magazine has usually shown a sense of social responsibility. Maybe they'll take notice of feedback giving information why this My Dog ad, is not sending out a 'welfare' message about how to get a dog.

By contrast, the July issue of Australian House & Garden has a great article about how to get a puppy in a way that does not support puppy-farming (which it describes in well-chosen words). The columnist points people directly to good breeders (& tells them how to recognise one)... & recommends that people contact Kennel Associations & breed clubs. I sent a copy of it to RSPCA Qld as an example of a media message which deserves praise in the battle against puppy farming. Maybe I should send a copy to Marie Claire.