Kennel Cough? But How?

Kirty

all mine have had it despite being vaccinated

we have to have them vaccinated against kennel cough anyway cos we go on hols with them and some places request vaccination certificates

we didnt get meds...we were advised that unless theres secondary infection then it is not necessary

i believe you can get some cough mix that helps settle the cough but ours didnt get it severely

hope yours recovers quickly and without drama

Are there dogs on the other side of the fence? I think sniffing through/under/near fences is a certain possibility for contraction.

Also could have happened during that walk a week ago, not in my experience but we are told (by the vets) to inform clients that it can take 7-10 days after contact with it to show signs, can then last up to 14 days.

My dogs have had it 3 times :) all times have started coughing within 2 days after i suspect they had caught it and coughed for about 3 days.

Is it definitely kennel cough? foreign bodies of the nose/throat could display similar symptoms, also heart murmurs/defects etc (but id say you would know about that)

Edited by Bindii

None of mine have it neither does Nelson her brother wonder if she got it in transport??

Years ago we were at a trial along way from home that afternoon my boy started coughing my 4 dogs were all in the trailer together they had shared water bowls and also shared with my friends 5 dogs all tethered and crates alongside each other none of the other dogs got it besides him all vaccinated against it so no idea why he got it that was 6 years ago haven't had any issues since

I think Tilly has been here for 3 weeks now, so I doubt she brought it with her. We are surrounded by dogs here so perhaps one of them gave it to her? But none of my dogs are vaccinated against KC and none of the others have it? Its all a bit odd.

KC can take anything up to 3 weeks to show in your dog. It will usually stay in their system for around 30 days all up (including incubation time). Even after your dog stops coughing, they can still have the virus/bacteria.

It sucks big time! 7 out of our 10 dogs have it now. We're just sitting waiting for the other 3 to start coughing and I am loading them up with Vitamin C.

The KC vaccine doesn't stop your dog from contracting the disease, however, our vets advise that you give your dog the nasal spray vaccine if they are going to be competing in shows, dog sports or coming into contact with new dogs as it should help to lessen the symptoms if your dog does in fact get KC.

I truly wish that we had been advised that KC was active at the race we attended two weekends ago :confused: