Dancing With The Dogs!

Genabee

:shrug: ValleyCBR yep my youngster has her DWDF.S title and half her HTM.S title. Not bad for a shy timid midget BC who had to travel interstate to get it since we are yet to run comps in SA. My older one has half a DWDF.S title which I hope to maybe get the opportunity to finish at some point. Barb (Tassie) who appeared on the ABC clip featured on the link is actually a member on here too :rofl: . Sorry Tassie for dobbing you in :thumbsup: .

I would post links to my routines but they are fairly average and plenty of better ones out there :D :D :thumbsup: .

Edited by ness

I had never heard of it before tonight!

I think it is cool - I hadn't watched it and my first thought was that the dogs would be all kitted out in costumes etc. It bought back memories from my stage mother, counting me in during dance practice as a child! :shrug:

Maybe I should have Little G enrolled!!!! Anyone know of a dance school for dogs, local to me? Maybe I could carry on the stage mum gene!

As others have said, Dances with Dogs is just a fun new dogsport that the dogs & owners all love, I'm so glad to see that Tassie has finally rounded up the troops :D & got the sport up & running down there - great job Barb :hug: .

If anyone is interested in learning more about the sport or finding out about lessons etc you can look on the Dances with Dogs website that Ness posted or PM me, I'm always happy to help :o .

ETA - Dagboy my hubby is the website guru for the Qld part of the website & I am publicity officer for the Dances with Dogs Club Queensland & Jarrah my kelpie has his Freestyle Novice (DWDF.N) title :rofl: :rofl: .

Edited by MrsD

We do doggy dancing as our relax time between obiediance training :rofl: we both find it extreemly fun even if we look like dorks lol iv been to a few dancing classes and not met a dog that dosnt like it yet

This is one of my favourite dog dancing clips from youtube

Have a look and see if you think it's cruel, I think the dog looks like it's having a ball :rofl:

Oh, I love this video. It even amazed my family members who would typically roll their eyes at the idea of 'doggy dancing'. They all had to concede that it was pretty cool.

Cool or cruel?

Neither. :rofl:

I've never met a dog with a natural sense of rhythm. They just don't really move to the beat. :hug:

But I would encourage everyone to get involved with activities with their dog. Having fun is what counts. :D

Thanks for the dobbing, ness! And :laugh: to Mrs D :o

Yep - we finally got organized to get something going down here. About 17 dog/handler teams - most with obedience, agility, flyball or herding backgrounds - breeds ranging from mini Poodle, Westy, to standard Poodle - and a lot of Border Collies since it was the BC Club hosting it. We had a great weekend with our presenter, Sue Cordwell from Melbourne who has inspired/re-inspired us to try to keep going. We had great coverage not only from the ABC but also from the local paper, the Mercury - they've got a very nice double-page spread of photos of the dogs from yesterday - all dogs thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Interesting about the dog's perception of rhythm, Greytmate - don't know if there've been any studies done, but it certainly feels and looks especially with some dogs, like they do have a sense of rhythm - but maybe they're just really tuned in to their handlers. And maybe, like people, some have rhythm more than others. I believe horse people say that horses (some horses) have a sense of rhythm, so why not dogs.

For those who didn't see the news item, it's on Youtube

. Bear in mind we are raw beginners. I'm sure MrsD can point you to more of the finished product.

If you think you'd like to try out this fun way to interact with your dog, try it out - size/breed no object - I've seen vidoe of dogs from Papillons to a gorgeous Great Dane - you just adapt your style to the dog.

Well, I sent an email off enquiring! :laugh:

Then I read on the website that the classes were on Tuesday evenings.... and I work then!!!!!!! This whole working evenings is really interfering with my dog schooling!! Why doesn't anyone offer things on Sundays?

Let's wait and see what the reply is! I might go and check out the August trials. Are randoms allowed to watch?

Interesting about the dog's perception of rhythm, Greytmate - don't know if there've been any studies done, but it certainly feels and looks especially with some dogs, like they do have a sense of rhythm - but maybe they're just really tuned in to their handlers. And maybe, like people, some have rhythm more than others. I believe horse people say that horses (some horses) have a sense of rhythm, so why not dogs.

The ones I have seen seem to be following handler cues. The breeds that excel at it seem to be the ones bred to work very quickly to handler cues. Maybe that is the challenge of doggy dancing, making it appear as though the dog is dancing to music rather than following a series of commands.

Has anyone trained a dog to dance to the beat of music of a short section of music without handler direction?