Lens

redangel

I currently have the nikkor 18-55 kit lens

55-200 kit lens

50 1.4 lens

I would LOVE to have a macro/portrait lens....but have also been looking at 200mm+ with f2.8

Whilst looking, I have been also checking out some of the latest additions to the Tamron family.

Which way to go???? What of these third party lenses? Any input to what would bring me joy in either of these ranges???

What do you want to shoot? That will decide which range/type of lens you should be concentrating on.

Have you mastered the lenses you already have? What are your current lenses not doing for you?

The 50 is a great portrait lens, so you actually have that already.

I have been using Sigma lenses for years with no problems and one of my favourite lenses from any manufacturer is the Sigma 30 1.4.

Tamron has a very good reputation for lenses and some of their newer zooms and super zooms have good reviews.

Tokina also has some gems - the 11-16 2.8 rocks and I wouldn't be without it.

What is your budget?

Edited by kja

Ok then... I love the crispness of the 50 1.4 when taking action shots. I agree its a great lens. What I would love is the ability to have an ability to get crisp shots (some action) without getting too close to the subjects.

As for macro...I was attracted to the Tamron 90mm 2.8. I wanted to have a good macro in hand for when I need a closer shot- I am currently looking at joining a camera group and so want to have a range of lens to play with.

Cost is sort of an option- I guess like the 50mm 1.4 I want to get as much fun as possible without going into the 2k range. Which is another reason why I was looking at the tamron macro.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Tamron 90 macro. It's nice, but the AF is known to be sluggish/clunky and it misses more than some of the other 100/105 macro lenses. If I wanted a macro, I'd spend a little more and not put up with that little niggle. Many have it and think it's just fine, so it doesn't suck - this is just my personal feeling on it :eek:

I'd look at the Sigma's - 50-150 2.8 or 70-200 2.8. I own the 50-150 and it is fantastic. I have a couple of very good, very active shooter friends who have the 70-200 and they adore theirs. These are less expensive options than going with the Nikon version of the range. Although the dedicated 200 lenses are really sweet, I think the zoom is just too nice of a feature to lose for many things. Do you like the range of your longest zoom now?

You still should be able to get crisp shots with the lenses you already have and it would be a good idea to figure out why your action shots aren't as crisp as you'd like because that will really help narrow the field down to a new action lens - otherwise you run the risk of getting new glass and having the same problem.

My issue is getting good moving dog shots in focus- I can get them crisp in the 50mm- but very hit n miss with the 200 lens...it dowsnt seem to have the same "zip". I am happy to appreciate that is me- but I thought the 2.8 would be a good option.

Thank you for the replies. Interesting feedback on the 90mm...always good to listen to a view where there is no market bias!

Actually, a wider aperture will make it harder in some ways as the DOF will be much smaller.

This does sound like technique, so I'd say try to trouble shoot that first.

- make sure your shutter speed is high enough

- make sure your ISO is high enough to support the shutter you need

- keep it on centre point focus to start and turn on AI servo so the camera continues to track your subject as it moves

- watch your body position, keep those arms tucked in tight and your camera nice and secure to your face. make sure you're giving it all the support it needs as you go to longer harder to hand hold focal lengths.

- practice your panning

- try burst mode, sometimes it really gets you where you need to be and other times one shot is better but it's good to have a feel for them both

- practice practice practice. shooting a moving subject with a long focal length isn't easy and you probably won't get a huge keeper rate until you've really put a lot of shutter clicks under your belt. and even then it's likely you'll have quite a few misses, too :laugh: Don't lose heart, it's tricky and takes time to develop properly

it will be more obvious with longer focal lengths as they are just simply harder to hand hold. Your 50 is a snap to hand hold in almost any situation.

Edited by kja