The Ultimate Evil - The Elizabethan Collar

rubiton

Well according to the dog anyway. Obviously feeling a lot better she was so happy til I put the collar on (she started licking the stitches and surreounding area last night so got a collar for her today). She just sat there for a good 20 minutes just staring at me. However seems to slowly be learning how not to walk into stuff (still hoping the house will not be destroyed when she is left on her own with it on).

If she tries to scratch with her foot the next step will be a sock on said foot - she really wont be impressed if that is added to.

Hey rubiton - I just went through the Liz Collar hell too with my dog Tango. I've just got hold of a new design collar - mine is for eye surgery and it's absolutely brilliant - so much better than the traditional one. The same people have one that is specifically for other surgery - like a Liz collar but smaller and with ear holes. I have no idea what that's like tho.

Anyway - I highly recommend their "optivisor" and it's worth emailing them about their other product "novaguard" - I think it's called. WHen I emailed them they called me to talk about what would be best and to make sure I got the right size. I emailed a photo of my dog with my hand in the pic to help with sizing

provisor

This is the face I was punished with when my Cattle dog had to wear one!! :)

She'll get used to it eventually!!

ROFLMAO Poor pooch! Mine didn't get used to his - he smashed it to bits!!!

Edited by spottychick

my chow just had eye surgery and we use a bucket with the bottom cut out. Chow neck & head are designed perfectly for the bucket.Their thick neck stops it going down too far, and their strong upright ears and thick hair stop it coming off! Don't even have to tie it on.

She came home with the eliz. collar and was not coping, so we tried the bucket and it works great.She is coping really well. We discovered the Chow/bucket thing several years ago when we adopted a chow that needed eye surgery.

Edited by DBT

baifra that is the look I got (think lab x) and then she went to the wuffles pic face when she gave up and sat on her bed.

She went to throw her head around wildly when it first went on but put a stop to that quick and then she quickly realised that going past stuff too quick resulted in a very quick stop.

Will leave it off for a while now then back on for the night (she wont lick while we can see her)

My girl was so outraged at her elizabethan collar, that she enlisted the help of our other dog to chew it off her! He chewed the tags that hold it onto the collar and then they killed it.

Funny, my girl just had one on for about 1.5 weeks and she didn't even notice it was on her - she did bash into everything, but she was so relaxed with it on - and my other two didn't even seem to notice she had it on!!

There's another type of EC that is a blow up, like a giant donut. I just can't remember what it's called at the moment!

Purchased it for my boy and he just used it like a pillow when he went to sleep. It's extremely comfortable for the dog and they can eat, drink and see all around them perfectly without feeling trapped.

The ProCollar! That's it. Google to see what it looks like, a genius invention.

Hope your pup gets better quick :noidea:

Yep they make you feel bad but seems they can do plenty with said collar on. This morning open new packet of those naturevet liver treats (little round balls described as training treat or mini treat on the packet) a whole 200g packet. Do footy tips (she picks the food - and I was three years ahead of the octapus and the bird with the food choosing a team idea) then I roll up top and place it seemingly out of the way (especially when you remember dog has the collar on) in a space about 20cm wide (on the lounge but its surrounded with the arm on one side and DVD s on the others - only access is from the front or on an angle which was seemingly blocked by stuff on the floor at the same spot).

Now collar is wider than this and I dont know how she did it but she stole the bag of food took it across to a gap between her bed and the stairs and opened the rest of the opening (quite neatly too) and worked out how to flip it up so the food came out.

Nothing else had moved - she hadn't knocked anything to get to the bag of food and the angle needed to get the collar into the gap is pretty difficult. Needless to say she got very little for tea tonight.

(I remembered the bag and it wasnt where it had been left and couldn't find it anywhere til I told her 'find the food' and thats when I found the empty wrapper).

So they can do plenty apart from lick at stitches while wearing said collars they just wont let on that they can

Edited by rubiton

Earl has one on at the moment - it is so stuck up with black and yellow tape - we even had to tape a bit of his first collar - which he destroyed completely - onto the second one when he took a chunk out of it.

He can't be left alone with it on or he will kill it so I had to take him to sons football training last night - he looks like a walking caution sign - poor thing - not!!!

I know most dogs HATE the elizabethan collar but my dear, departed Lennon loved his - he decided it was the ultimate fashion accessory - the day we took him to the park after his eye surgery he STRUTTED in like "hey guys - look what I've got" He also discovered that he could run up behind people & butt them savagely in the behind. Another plus of the collar is that he could fill it up with water from the park sprinklers and then spray some unsuspecting passer-by :rofl:

Lol - i see your dogs in their elizabethan collars and I raise you my cockatiel, Lucius! :rofl:

IMG_1325.jpg?t=1279283025

I have never seen an animal sook as much wearing one as when Lucius did. He sat in the middle of his cage on one of his perches and barely moved for 3 days. When I let him out, he cuddled into me and wouldn't leave me alone. Poor bugger. And now I've embarassed him by posting it on DOL. :rofl: By comparison, Zero in his was an angel! He did like that it caught food that he dropped - i should get him one to wear all the time.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

I like the idea of the donut collar.

Zeus has an EC on now (got the snip this morning). He didn't notice it until he bashed into the door. Poor dog got the fright of his life.

He seems used to it now. He likes that it catches food and he has licked the inside of it to death but he hates that he can't scratch his head/face.