Quantity Of Raw Food To Feed 7 Month Old Amstaff?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to pedigree dogs, and new to the american staffordshire breed.

Our puppy has allergies to many grasses, but I also suspect she has allergies to wheat and wheat by-products.

We have been feeding her kangaroo meat and potato for the last 2 months which seems to work well.

i am however, concerned at the amount she eats and also if this is a balanced diet for her.

She is currently eating 1 kg of meat a day, plus 6 medium sized potatoes per day with some calcium powder and olive oil...

Should she be eating this much meat every day?! she currently weighs 20kg and looks healthy/sleek.

It should be around 2-4% of the dogs ideal body weight (more for puppies) but the best way to feed is simple - if the dog looks too thin feed more, if the dog is looking to fat feed less :laugh:

In general you want to be able to fell the ribs easily but they shouldn't be sticking out.

Meat and potaoes doesn't sound very balanced though. Are you feeding any bones?

I also feed my dog a lot of roo meat. Typical diet would be roo tail in the morning followed by roo meat mixed with veggie/fruit slops (includes pureed raw fruit, veg, raw eggs and shells, parsley, garlic, kelp and omega oil), a dollop of natural yogurt, ACV and pehaps some chicken wings, liver or fish (depending on the day) in the evening.

You have to be careful with allergies but I'd certainly consider adding some bones, eggs, yogurt, fish (canned or fresh) and perhaps some veg besides potato into your dogs diet.

ok -

she occasionally gets a roo tail...

I really don't think she is allergic to different meats; our vet was the one who recommended roo. will chicken necks be a good daily bone to give?

Any bones really - chicken necks/wings/carcus/drumsticks, lamb necks/shanks/flaps, roo tail/spine...

eta, if it's only a wheat allergy I'd certainly be adding a lot more variety into her diet :)

Edited by SecretKei

great, thankyou!

I am still concerned that she is easily ploughing through a whole kilo of meat every day!

You need to calculate her ultimate adult weight and feed 2% of that. You also need to feed her more than just meat. I feed my boys the bone part of the meal in the am, such as chicken backs, or chicken necks, or wings or baby veal ribs. Any bones that can be eaten up. In the afternoon they get the meat part of their meal. They also get roo, but I also give them a wider variety as well as organ meat once a week. They also get low fat cottage cheese, plain low fat yoghurt, egg, grated raw veggies. Perhaps you need to google raw feeding for dogs and get more information from that or join up a raw feeding group. It's surprising what information you can glean from members. Good luck.

great, thankyou!

I am still concerned that she is easily ploughing through a whole kilo of meat every day!

:) A kilo is a fair amount. My near 40kg Ridge only gets around 900-1200g of food a day - which includes around 350g of meat, the rest being raw meaty bones, veg, extras etc. You may find that it's due to the roo meat being extremely lean. If you start bulking up the diet with other things (fattier meats here and there, bones, veg, eggs, sardines etc) you may find that you are going through less meat.

Offal is also an important part of a dogs diet so make sure you add in some things like liver, kidney, heart etc. There are some good threads on raw feeding here if you do a search. Also try and get your hands on the Ian Billinhurst books if you can.

Pre-prepared BARF (Dr. B's) is another good balanced option if you don't have the time or desire to prepare it yourself :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

We just completed a elimination diet of roo and sweet potato, my dog was getting around 400g of meat and a sweet potato a day and a roo bone every second day on top of that. I am now starting to add foods back in, my dog also scratched less on the roo meat etc. My boy weighs 34Kg but does not drop weight very easily!

What's the pup's expected adult weight?

A large breed puppy could easily eat 1kg of (edit spelling!) meat a day, and yes, you need to add some bones to this diet, but no more potatos.

http://www.rawlearning.com/

Sonia

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds