Digital Photograhy Course And Which Lens 1.4 Or 1.8

GregW

Hey all,

Have just enrolled in a photography course which is very exiting as I want to see if I can develop my "sort of" photo skills into being a possible pet photographer :(

As a bit of a treat to myself I want to get one of those 50mm 1.4 or 1.8mm canon lens that I have read about here and seem very popular.

Question is, which one is better at what? and what sort of shots do you use it for mostly for? as on a very steep learning curve at the moment

Cheers

Greg

The 50mm is very versatile and can be used for a wide range of subjects, generally their most popular portrait prime lens would be the 85mm. If you take a look at this thread you will see a huge range of shots taken with the 50mm lens

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...54547&st=30 - the beauty of this lens is the price so even if you decide you don't like the 50mm and you have the 1.8 you haven't lost a huge investment in $$ - BTW 50mm is my favorite

Here are a few shots I have taken that will show just how versatile the lens is

2120552155_dda0f3f689.jpg

4670461635_492e8f4a0b.jpg

4243375287_cb3729b05b.jpg

ETA _ Where are you doing the course? They may have specific requirements for lenses

Edited by helen

Hi Helen

This is the course I am doing - http://www.acq.edu.au/Courses/DIG-digital-...se-outline.html

No real requirements as a beginner course just a dslr and photoshop/elements.

Yeh, I thought a 50mm would be good just to have different lens from my standard lens to start off with and of course, price is major influence.

Your photos are fantastic, so its 1.8mm your using not the 1.4?

Cheers

Greg

I would start with the 1.8 for a few reasons:

- it's very inexpensive

- it does a very nice job

- it holds it's resale value

- it's a very good way to get into low light and shallow depth of field shooting

This is a very good bang for buck lens, you can't go wrong.

I wouldn't upgrade to the 1.4 or 1.2 options until you are comfortable with the focal range and know that it suits YOU and you know WHY the 1.4 or 1.2 are needed (or perhaps they never will be by you, every shooter is different).

I had and loved the 1.8 and sold it to a good home here. I then got the 1.4 as I knew I didn't need the 1.2. 50mm isn't my favourite focal length so my decision was just right for my needs.