Buying From A Breeder's Very First Litter

Hemingway

I haven't purchased but have sold pups from my first litter- I was very open about the fact that it was my first litter (and indeed both parents were maidens), and ensured that my buyers understood this. I also provided a truckload of info an support, including grooming and training.

I will say though, I have been involved with the breed since 2004 and had my first litter in January this year, so am not so new to the breed. I am also on the clubs committee and am as active as I can be in promoting the breed at expos, Melbourne Royal and club fun days etc.

I also had help and mentorship from many people, both breed experienced and general breeding experienced. Many of my buyers were actually directed to me by other reputable or well-known breeders who didn't have any pups at the time- something I take as a huge compliment.

I can understand some hesitation however I believe the most important thing when purchasing a pup is not how many litters someone has bred, but how dedicated they are to their breed and their own dogs and how comfortable you feel with them.

On the contrary, I reckon some long-time breeders do become complacent or kennel-blind when they breed and may actually be doing the dogs a disservice. Many first time breeders will be so careful about what they are doing and as a result will cross every T and dot every I.

I said straight out to any potential buyers that I had to walk away if they felt for a second they were not comfortable with myself, my dogs or the environment they were raised in.

The pups are almost 6 months old and to date every one is happy with them :hug: even have one coming for a grooming session soon.

I haven't but I would. If you had any uncertainty, you could always ask whether the breeder has mentoring support from another registered breeder with a longer history of breeding (and hopefully a good reputation).

I think the bolded bit above is really important. We are hoping to have our first litter later in the year (Irish Terriers) and every step of the way has included the help and support of our bitch's breeder who has numerous years of experience.

We also have several other mentors in other breeds who we have discussed things like puppy raising and whelping tips with. You can do all the reading you want but I think a good mentor or multiple mentors is vital. :hug:

I'm in the same boat... first litter later this year. I plan to be completely upfront about it, but will also be adding the fact that I have had invaluable support from my breeder.

I also agree with SP - I believe that in the cases where it is your first litter, and you are out there to prove yourself, you will strive that much harder to ensure that you are doing everything right.

I haven't but I would. If you had any uncertainty, you could always ask whether the breeder has mentoring support from another registered breeder with a longer history of breeding (and hopefully a good reputation).

Yep, those are my thoughts too.

I have, and I have no regrets :( Our girl is just a pet, but we had a lot of communication with the breeder and we were happy with everything. She has also given us a lot of support.

Awww, thanks Wuffles! :hug: Ava was from our very first Aussie Shepherd litter, and we were lucky enough to have extremely good mentors in the breed who gave us the benefit of their knowledge and experience in breeding, assessing and placing our puppies. We do all have to start somewhere, but I think it is important to do the very best you can by your dogs and by your puppy buyers by having mentors in your chosen breeds, health testing the parents of your planned litters and generally being responsible, upfront and ethical in all aspects of breeding.

I have, and I have no regrets :( Our girl is just a pet, but we had a lot of communication with the breeder and we were happy with everything. She has also given us a lot of support.

Awww, thanks Wuffles! :hug: Ava was from our very first Aussie Shepherd litter, and we were lucky enough to have extremely good mentors in the breed who gave us the benefit of their knowledge and experience in breeding, assessing and placing our puppies. We do all have to start somewhere, but I think it is important to do the very best you can by your dogs and by your puppy buyers by having mentors in your chosen breeds, health testing the parents of your planned litters and generally being responsible, upfront and ethical in all aspects of breeding.

+1 :hug:

What do you intend to do with the pup? Do you have any show or dog sports intentions for it?

:(

I think this has a lot to do with whether you should consider a newbie breeder.

Note: Newbie, not Noob.

:hug:

I will be breeding my first litter at the end of the year or beginning of next year.

I intend to be upfront and honest with any puppy buyers. If someone wants a show prospect, I will likely keep them to run on myself for a short time to see how they are turning out before I make the final decision.

I'm more worried about a buyer hoping to show and the pup turns out to be a dud. :(

But they will be healthy! I won't sell a pup unless it's 100% healthy, checked by a vet on the day of departure.

I haven't purchased but have sold pups from my first litter- I was very open about the fact that it was my first litter (and indeed both parents were maidens), and ensured that my buyers understood this. I also provided a truckload of info an support, including grooming and training.

I will say though, I have been involved with the breed since 2004 and had my first litter in January this year, so am not so new to the breed. I am also on the clubs committee and am as active as I can be in promoting the breed at expos, Melbourne Royal and club fun days etc.

I also had help and mentorship from many people, both breed experienced and general breeding experienced. Many of my buyers were actually directed to me by other reputable or well-known breeders who didn't have any pups at the time- something I take as a huge compliment.

I can understand some hesitation however I believe the most important thing when purchasing a pup is not how many litters someone has bred, but how dedicated they are to their breed and their own dogs and how comfortable you feel with them.

On the contrary, I reckon some long-time breeders do become complacent or kennel-blind when they breed and may actually be doing the dogs a disservice. Many first time breeders will be so careful about what they are doing and as a result will cross every T and dot every I.

I said straight out to any potential buyers that I had to walk away if they felt for a second they were not comfortable with myself, my dogs or the environment they were raised in.

The pups are almost 6 months old and to date every one is happy with them :mad even have one coming for a grooming session soon.

My first litter was my very best !!!!

If I knew then what I know know I would have kept all but one. All the puppy people knew it was out first litter, didn't matter in the slightest.

Looking back we did silly things, fussed too much but it was nice that everything we used, whelping box, puppy room, run etc was brand new.

We were also a little too serious, and listened too much to every bit of advice when commonsense was enough.

It doesn't matter where you are with the number of litters, what is most important is that you are not dollar driven.

There are a lot of breeders who use a litter to pay for a holiday to Crufts or an import with little thought to what they are doing to the pup when they sell no questions asked.

If you start to think that way, it's wrong.

I did. I loved my breeders lines. They had a lot of support/mentoring from great breeders themselves. I clicked with them really well and communicated a lot. Like people say, they have to start somewhere. Just make sure all health testing etc is done and they really do know what they are on about, thats what I did.