Buying From A Breeder's Very First Litter

Hemingway

Hi gang,

I’m currently looking at buying a puppy.

I have come across a breeder who is newly registered with the state breeders assoc. but has not yet had a litter of puppies. From what I can gather, both parents are happy, healthy and come from excellent blood lines.

Have any of you purchased a pup from a ‘debut’ litter? I know that in the world of responsible dog breeding that experience and a proven track record is worth its weight in Gold, but surely all breeders have to start somewhere…

I’d be interested in any feedback, advice or info you guys could offer…

I havent purchased but sold puppies from my first litter as a breeder. I was open about it with the buyers and I tired to give them more info then most long term breeders normally would. I had no problems selling puppies and I dont have any ongoing problems with any of the dogs or buyers.

A breeder has to start somewhere. As long as they are open and honest with you and you feel comfortable with them then I see no problems. Ask to see their membership card and any other things like paperwork etc. An open honest breeder will have no problems showing you all of these things.

I will say -

There are many "breeders" out there who are not breeding to improve the breed they breed for "other reasons" that do not benefit the breed.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

My friend did. Bought a pup out of the first litter of a new breeder in a different state and the puppy was flown down sight unseen...only pictures and going on the breeders word for temprament. He appears to be fine and normal although at 12 months he is only half the size of a normal beagle..Not sure if thats normal or not.

Personally I would do it but I would pick the pup from the litter myself (if possible) or let the breeder match one with me but Id always like to see the pups in the flesh before buying one.

I havn't but I would provided I liked the lines the dog came from.

And that's what it's all about really.

Just because the breeder is new dosn't mean the lines they are using are, there are hundreds of years good breeding (hopefully) back there that other people have put years of blood sweat and tears into to hopefully produce a beautiful dog.

So I see no reason not to do it.

As for getting paper work and all the health tests done, well even experianced breeders don't always do that, so again I see no reason not to go with a newbie, we all have to start somewhere :hug:

My friend did. Bought a pup out of the first litter of a new breeder in a different state and the puppy was flown down sight unseen...only pictures and going on the breeders word for temprament. He appears to be fine and normal although at 12 months he is only half the size of a normal beagle..Not sure if thats normal or not.

Personally I would do it but I would pick the pup from the litter myself (if possible) or let the breeder match one with me but Id always like to see the pups in the flesh before buying one.

I've done this. :hug:

Edited by Bonnie Parker

I have done and did very well with both her and the breeder , was my first rottie , she showed to aus champ in the late 80 s and obedience titled as well lived to be 11 years old no probs , was fantastic experience , due to kids they only ever bred on other litter although their dog was used a bit , if all looks good go for it

I haven't but I would. If you had any uncertainty, you could always ask whether the breeder has mentoring support from another registered breeder with a longer history of breeding (and hopefully a good reputation).

I think the bolded bit above is really important. We are hoping to have our first litter later in the year (Irish Terriers) and every step of the way has included the help and support of our bitch's breeder who has numerous years of experience.

We also have several other mentors in other breeds who we have discussed things like puppy raising and whelping tips with. You can do all the reading you want but I think a good mentor or multiple mentors is vital. :hug:

I have, and would never do it again. I'd always go for the more knowledgeable and experienced breeder.

BF

This is true but what if the more knowledgeable breeder is the breeder having the first litter?

Some people learn and show and help other people for years before they breed, therefore probably have more knowledge than someone on their 10th litter who has never been to a show or had a mentor to show them the ropes.

I would. If I was comfortable with the dog and bitch they are using I don't see a big difference between that and a more established breeder using two dogs that are not from their lines. (As long as they had done their homework on the physical care of the dogs.)

I haven't but I would. If you had any uncertainty, you could always ask whether the breeder has mentoring support from another registered breeder with a longer history of breeding (and hopefully a good reputation).

I think the bolded bit above is really important. We are hoping to have our first litter later in the year (Irish Terriers) and every step of the way has included the help and support of our bitch's breeder who has numerous years of experience.

We also have several other mentors in other breeds who we have discussed things like puppy raising and whelping tips with. You can do all the reading you want but I think a good mentor or multiple mentors is vital. :hug:

Similar story here. I also have great support from my bitches breeder who also knows the lines of my dog really well although she didn't breed him. Being a member of the breed club is also a great source of information and guidance from others in the breed, as well as showing.

I would expect the breeder to be upfront about it and be able to prove the necessary health tests and other breed requirements were well understood and complied with as per their breed. If that's all there and you like the dogs they have on site then I'd say go for it!