Something That S*ts Me Repeatedly

MonElite

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the standard was followed there would be no difference in show or working lines.

Even when the standard is followed there is a huge difference betweeen show dogs, and working dogs.

ETA: Clarrification.

I see many different "types" of aussies. All to the standard, yet all different.

Different ends of the height requirement, different takes on what is "moderate" etc

Edited by Bonnie Parker

My dog is a crossbred, but I get sick of people telling me he is 'too skinny'. He mostly looks like a Labrador but he is crossed with a GSP so is much finer. He is NOT skinny! He is trim and healthy! Perhaps I should ask if they would like to pay for surgery on his bung shoulder if I fatten him up to suit them.

If the standard was followed there would be no difference in show or working lines.

Even when the standard is followed there is a huge difference betweeen show dogs, and working dogs.

I see many different "types" of aussies. All to the standard, yet all different.

Different ends of the height requirement, different takes on what is "moderate" etc

Oh yes, happens in all breeds. The one that gets me is the term 'bench kelpie'. Say what now?

I have a Bloodhound

I get tired of the "What is he?" :rofl: - "He's only HOW old?" and I got the "Got a saddle for it" comment for the first time *Sigh*

Oh - and the "Aw - he looks sad" - he isn't - the sod just plays on it for sympathy :laugh:

I have a sibe - sick of people telling me you can't do anything with them, they're untrainable apparently.

If I hear one more person who says "I wanted to do obedience/agility with my dog but my partner wanted a husky so we got one and now I can't" I will scream. I've seen sibes in obedience, agility, flyball and in the show ring - Zero's a qualified therapy dog so there's nothing you can't do with them if you can find what motivates them.

There are two sibes at my obedience club.. I've never seen another dog work like them!!!

Mon,

I would be more tempted to get a Dobe if they were closer to 25 kgs than 40 :rofl: Not sure I am keen on getting a dog that weighs nearly as much as me :hug::laugh:

:rofl:

Mine is 30.5kg today. I'm adding a bit of food because I think 31kg is about right for her.

She has papers but I have NO IDEA whether or not she is fron "show" or "working" lines. And I don't actually care either way.

But now I'm curious. :laugh:

How does one know which is which?

Dobes were never meant to be a huge dog??? So not sure why people want a huge Dobe?

Oh and my Whippets are midgets, especially Rommi as she is a bit finer and more feminine, because all the "Whippets" around here are about 3 to 5 inches easily taller than her. Funnily enough she is at the top of the bitch height standard??????

Mon,

I would be more tempted to get a Dobe if they were closer to 25 kgs than 40 :rofl: Not sure I am keen on getting a dog that weighs nearly as much as me :hug::laugh:

:rofl:

Mine is 30.5kg today. I'm adding a bit of food because I think 31kg is about right for her.

She has papers but I have NO IDEA whether or not she is fron "show" or "working" lines. And I don't actually care either way.

But now I'm curious. :laugh:

Working line Dobes - as such- tend to have lots of Shutzhund titles behind them. As a general rule, the show lines not so much, although there are some very successful DObes with plenty of working titles behind them.

I was told my Dobe wouldn't guard as she was from show lines and they are wooses and back of at the first sign of someone serious.

They didn't repeat the remark after trying to sneak up on my tent at around midnight rather a bit tipsy!

Since the show ring generally wants to make animals "bigger" and "better" and the "traditional" breed features more extreme I would expect a show lines dog to be bigger that a working line dog. That is certainly the way it is in most breeds I know anyway :rofl: I wouldn't say they are better though :laugh:

Aussie Sheps are one that I love - breed standard says "moderate" yet a lot of what gets put up is "heavy"!

Oh yes, happens in all breeds. The one that gets me is the term 'bench kelpie'. Say what now?

As a kelpie owner I see no difference to a dog being called a bench kelpie or a show kelpie... the term bench kelpie came at a time when show dogs were all benched like they are at the Royal Shows. And my kelpie likes being on a bench particularly if I am sitting next to him and he can crawl into my lap :laugh:

Mon,

I would be more tempted to get a Dobe if they were closer to 25 kgs than 40 :dropjaw: Not sure I am keen on getting a dog that weighs nearly as much as me :D :rofl:

:o

But now I'm curious. :love:

Working line Dobes - as such- tend to have lots of Shutzhund titles behind them. As a general rule, the show lines not so much, although there are some very successful DObes with plenty of working titles behind them.

I was told my Dobe wouldn't guard as she was from show lines and they are wooses and back of at the first sign of someone serious.

They didn't repeat the remark after trying to sneak up on my tent at around midnight rather a bit tipsy!

So on the papers, it just says "AM.CH" or "AUST. GRAND CH" etc but doesn't say what sort of champion, does it?

Well, I know mine used to herd cattle. And she sure would bring in the horse for me if I wanted.

By the same token, she will guard.

I think there are some who mistake the Dobe intelligence for "wuss".

That us because they often will not take on trouble head on. The times I have seen mine in action, they have gone around and used the herding thing to distract and worry the "threat". I like the logic. He who fights and runs away gets to fight another day. They might retreat, but they keep coming back for another go. :) On one occasion, mine did attack a threatening dog. Only the once, tho. She didn't keep at it after the "threat" retreated.

It kinda annoys me- I have owned AUSTRALIAN kelpies all my life. My first happened to come off a farm, mine now are ANKC registered. When I talk about working and show lines I refere to ANKC reg Aust. Kelpies and WKC reg Aust. Kelpies. Rather than bench/show vs working. My girl has been pegged numerous times as a WKC reg Kelpie- generally when on stock.

I just get the shits when it becomes known she is ANKC that her working ability seems to dissapear :dropjaw: but you cant take back what you have already said!!

Those are show titles :dropjaw:

Titles at the front indicate show titles, and at the back indicate performance titles.

With the exception of champions (e.g obedience, field, retrieving etc) who are so good they get to put their working title at the front. Then it will say O.Ch, T. Ch, FT.Ch etc

My other choc girl is from 2 black parents, father is an imported dog, and Aust Ch titled. She was mated to another import dog with the intention of producing an all choc litter, as I wanted a female choc pup who would hopefully be a better version of mum. (which is looking to be the case). Just because a certain colour is intentionally bred doesn't automatically mean its only for money. As mum carries all 3 colours I had to have a choc to choc mating to maximise my chances of getting my choc girl.

Whether for the money or not, you chose to breed for colour as your highest priority. Instead of being able to choose from the best labrador available at stud, you restricted yourself to the best chocolate labrador, eliminating all of the yellow or black dogs that may have had better temperaments or may have been a better match for your girl. Yellow or black are not considered faults, so there is no reason not to consider using them if you are really breeding to improve the breed. You say you had to have a choc to choc mating to maximise your chances of getting your choc girl, but what were the chances of getting any other colour from that mating?

Those are show titles :love:

Titles at the front indicate show titles, and at the back indicate performance titles.

With the exception of champions (e.g obedience, field, retrieving etc) who are so good they get to put their working title at the front. Then it will say O.Ch, T. Ch, FT.Ch etc

Shows I don't know much about all the titles and intricacies of it :rofl::dropjaw:

My dog is a crossbred, but I get sick of people telling me he is 'too skinny'. He mostly looks like a Labrador but he is crossed with a GSP so is much finer. He is NOT skinny! He is trim and healthy! Perhaps I should ask if they would like to pay for surgery on his bung shoulder if I fatten him up to suit them.

My lab is purebreed but I often get asked at the park by ignorant people " your dog is lovely, what breed is he" I reply " he is a labrador" they reply " but he is so skinny for a lab" I say " no he is actually not thin at all he is just fit" they then say " I did not know they come in black i thought they only come in gold " I then say nothing and walk away..................