Troy Behave Paste

I used Kuglemans Be-Kalm with my Westie when he was going through the second phase fear period and had a spook and it worked very well. I just gave morning of show, and it worked

However a friend used it on a medium breed, and she had to give twice a day for a few days before the show.. but still worked

I think this might relate to what Aidan was saying, depends on the dog/cirumstances

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness someone warned me the paste was yellow and staines everything!

Naca has it all over his face, my crested has it in her hair and its everywhere! We must have used a good dose ( should have got a video for funny home vids!)

J

Shall let you all know how it goes

Hi Aidan,

Can I ask why you choose to mix the Good as Gold with the other items or do the other items bring together an actual meal?

They bring together an actual meal with a good ratio of nutrients that are beneficial for dogs with anxiety issues. Veterinary studies have tended to focus on % of protein in a meal, which I believe is a red herring. You can have low % protein with a high volume of water, fat or fibre and still not raise insulin sufficiently to see an effect. I suspect this is why there is so much conflicting advice on % of protein in a meal for dogs with aggression, anxiety etc

Olive oil is surprisingly psychoactive. How is not well understood but there are numerous studies where olive oil has been used as a placebo and skewed the data. If you compare these studies with other studies where different placebos are used, you get vastly different results which has lead some researchers to look more closely at olive oil. It is actually not a bad anti-depressant on it's own. However I know from omitting olive oil that the tryptophan is the active ingredient for my GSD, the olive oil is there for her health.

Here's the actual recipe for a 30-35kg GSD with no grain or egg allergies:

1 egg in a measuring bowl, fill to 150ml with boiling water

add 3/4cup wholegrain rolled oats. Mix, zap in microwave for 20s.

Let cool for 5-10 minutes, let the water soak into the oats.

Add 1tsp Good as Gold, 1tsp Brewer's Yeast, 1 glug of olive oil, 1/2 cup of good quality kibble.

I can only but try, I do feel most of this is a learned behaviour response ( Due to being in a kennel for 12 months prior to me getting the dog)

Anxiety and brain chemistry are a "chicken or egg" problem. They are interrelated, one may be causal of the other or vice-versa.

Thanks for that Aidan- while i have used both good as gold and brewers yeast in horses i haven't used the combo in dogs- do you mind if i steal your recipe and try it?

Of course! Brewer's Yeast actually has a reasonable % of tryptophan on it's own.

This is an interesting and informing thread. Thanks Xolo for starting it and thanks Aiden for your contribution!

I started a thread in the health and feeding section, and got some good answers there about anxiety - my ridgy seems to suffer social anxiety!

I will be researching some more to see what I can do for her!

Rat

Thanks Lab Rat well I am testing the Troy paste first then I will try Aidens mix, my dogs are fussy eaters and I am not keen on the grains, may try it without the oats.

J

The oats are there as a carbohydrate source to strategically raise insulin, shuttling off the larger aminos to muscles and organs. You could use fruit or mashed potato as alternatives, you'd need to do the math though. No other veggies would have enough glycaemic load to make a difference. I'd stick with porridge or boiled rice unless you know this dog has a particular allergy. Lessened anxiety is much better than whatever benefit not feeding grains offers and oats seem to be well tolerated even by dogs who are intolerant of some other grains.

To those who want to try this, I really do recommend taking some sort of objective measurement before, during and after. We can't ask them how they are feeling so measurement is important. Usually there is something a dog who might benefit from this will do that really concerns you. For my dog it was screaming when I went to put a crate in the car. So if you have screaming at something you do regularly at a certain time of day, time it or even record it. Sleeping patterns are fairly easy to make notes on, just be objective.

If treatment is successful you won't necessarily see big changes, but you will see changes that aren't a result of training or behaviour modification. If you can change what we call "affective behaviours" that are regulated by brain chemistry it becomes a lot easier to change other behaviours.

For e.g. I could train my dog not to lunge, bark or eyeball other dogs. But the effects were never long lived like they were with client's dogs. Typically I would resume training again over summer (over winter we walk in the dark and do not see too many other dogs) and be back almost to square one each year. After supplementation we could make bigger changes more easily, in fact I was walking my dog off-leash with selected other dogs very soon after treatment. Obviously, for her, she had a fairly serious deficiency which I suspect has something to do with her gastro-intestinal tract (or what's left of it now). Not all dogs, even dogs with a deficiency, will respond in such an obvious way.

Excellent, very informative post :mad Thank you Aidan!!!!

For smaller dogs, is it ok to follow your recipe and store in the fridge for a couple of days or would that "destroy" some of the active ingredients?

I just found out how much Good as Gold costs. :mad

I think I pay $79 for 500gm, but for the purposes of a trial you can buy a 50gm sachet for $9-$10 which is enough for a couple of weeks (1 tsp is about 3gm).

Thanks Aidan.

I have ordered some G as G and still have to souce some Brewer'st. Everyone seems to be out of stock of the stuff. So I'll try the human health food store next time I'm at the shops. :mad

Kaisie is getting older and is gettting quite whingy/unsettled and more sensitve to noise than she used to be,. So I'm hoping it helps her. She is basically quite calm when with me, but i really can't have a dobe on my lap all the time. ;)

Excellent, very informative post :mad Thank you Aidan!!!!

For smaller dogs, is it ok to follow your recipe and store in the fridge for a couple of days or would that "destroy" some of the active ingredients?

That's fine, for a while I was making cooked and raw patties and freezing them, and even a big batch of biscuits which lasted ages. It's a stable amino. Just be sure to divide the recipe evenly so that you know which dosage you are using.

I just found out how much Good as Gold costs. ;)

I think I pay $79 for 500gm, but for the purposes of a trial you can buy a 50gm sachet for $9-$10 which is enough for a couple of weeks (1 tsp is about 3gm).

$92+ for 500g. I ordered 3x50g @ $8.50ea. It was actually cheaper to buy the sachets. :mad

Thanks for that. I didn't realise they would go that far. So it's all good. :grouphug:

Thanks Aidan.

I have ordered some G as G and still have to souce some Brewer'st. Everyone seems to be out of stock of the stuff. So I'll try the human health food store next time I'm at the shops. :mad

Kaisie is getting older and is gettting quite whingy/unsettled and more sensitve to noise than she used to be,. So I'm hoping it helps her. She is basically quite calm when with me, but i really can't have a dobe on my lap all the time. ;)

I'd certainly be giving it a go. If there is something that is part of your routine that causes her to whine, that's a good place to take baseline measurement of whining. Sound sensitivity is a little harder to measure, every time you take a measurement the dog becomes a little more habituated to the sound but you might be able to video tape her response to an "every day" sound which she would already be habituated to, such as dropping your car keys on the counter.

Brewer's Yeast is really cheap at health food shops, it's just a repackaged waste product from breweries.

Thanks Aidan.

I brought some Good as Gold last night from a horse place at Browns Plains. I get my brewers yeast from a health shop in the city (because I work there) - I have to grab another bag of Brewers Yeast this afternoon for my boys.

noisymina so did you want me to see about grab an extra bag. I also live on the southside of Brisbane :wave:

Both boys were started on their mix this morning .... how long before I can hope for better dogs :grouphug::laugh:

Both boys were started on their mix this morning .... how long before I can hope for better dogs :o:o

You should notice an immediate change, if there are any trials for any ANKC sport this weekend, enter and win!!! :laugh: