Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I decided to give the collapsible tunnel a go with Cider - so I took mum, Cider and the i-squeak down to the back paddock. Cider automatically jumps on the table and waits for instructions the moment I open the gate - this is something she has trained herself - and at this stage I am happy to let her keep doing it. I left her on the table while I pulled the tunnel out and unravelled the shute and then I explained to mum that she was to throw the isqueak into the tunnel at the same time I would lift up the skirt and call her through. So we had a plan.

With all stations manned and us ready I called Cider off the table to the opening of the tunnel and before I had a chance to do or say anything she ran into the tunnel and out the end of the chute :) Mum was still standing there with the i-squeak in her hand and I was nowhere near the end of the chute to lift it up.

So I called her back and this time we got our timing right - mum threw the ball, I lifted up the chute and Cider came running through - like she had been doing it all her life. We had a few more goes, both with and without the ball and then left it at that.

Now if only training contacts and weavers was that easy ;)

LOL about bringing the tuggy back quickly - um yep I would only get 3 runs in for each training session at that rate!

Well done Tassie :)

Talk about slow learners - I've just got into the YouTube thing - so here is a very amateur video of Rory trying out his weaving in the backyard - taken on ipod by my friend, who turned it on its side half way through - sorry.

Rory learnt 2x2 starting in June, but has had little practice in the last few months - which shows ;) , but I like that he has independent entries, and that he thinks his way through the first poles, and then gets faster. I'm thinking that as/when he gets more regular practice, he'll get more confident and faster.

Oh, and yes - I know I need to work on him bringing his tuggy back to me quickly. :cry:

Talk about slow learners - I've just got into the YouTube thing - so here is a very amateur video of Rory trying out his weaving in the backyard - taken on ipod by my friend, who turned it on its side half way through - sorry.

Rory learnt 2x2 starting in June, but has had little practice in the last few months - which shows :o , but I like that he has independent entries, and that he thinks his way through the first poles, and then gets faster. I'm thinking that as/when he gets more regular practice, he'll get more confident and faster.

Oh, and yes - I know I need to work on him bringing his tuggy back to me quickly. :cooldance:

:confused:

He is sooooo like Mr CK (shen Mr CK decides to put it together - Rory is a lot more confident). Methinks it is something they get from Dad. :happydance:

I love his entries.

Not sure if anybody is interested but thought I would post this anyway - top buys have the 6m tunnels on special for only $20.11 plus postage. I bought one earlier in the year and its a great practice tunnel and at $20 a bargain.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/18Ft-6M...=topbuyFacebook

So thought I would share it for anybody who might be interested. I paid something like $50 when I bought it and even at that price it was a worth while purchase for using at home.

Not sure if anybody is interested but thought I would post this anyway - top buys have the 6m tunnels on special for only $20.11 plus postage. I bought one earlier in the year and its a great practice tunnel and at $20 a bargain.

So thought I would share it for anybody who might be interested. I paid something like $50 when I bought it and even at that price it was a worth while purchase for using at home.

:o

im having a bit of trouble getting raz to understand what i want on the board i have for training the 2on2off :/ i dont really know what im doing and he doesnt seem to be getting it.

same with the 2by2 weaves, he just bolts through one, doesnt really look for the second lot, and walks back through them, he doesnt seem to get the direction he is supposed to be travelling :o

gosh this is so confusing

im having a bit of trouble getting raz to understand what i want on the board i have for training the 2on2off :/ i dont really know what im doing and he doesnt seem to be getting it.

same with the 2by2 weaves, he just bolts through one, doesnt really look for the second lot, and walks back through them, he doesnt seem to get the direction he is supposed to be travelling :o

gosh this is so confusing

Yep - agree with the advice to watch the 2x2 weaves dvd carefully, and follow it pretty accurately. I think the key is to make sure that you have a consistent and relatively straight reward line (means practising throwing straight), and always make sure you withhold your throw until he's committed to the line through the last pair, whatever that is.

On the coming back through the poles - do try not to let him do that - you'll need to move away from the poles youself, and call him to you away from the poles. With Rory, I used his hand touch and a front cross move as I moved off to the side of the poles, so he got into the habit of coming away from the poles to come back to me.

Have you got someone you can get to help you with the 2o2o? Essentially, it's just marking and rewarding the dog for having the front 2 feet on the grass and the back 2 feet on the board - then gradually getting it held for longer and proofing while you move around - and making sure you give a verbal release. And owrking on both sides.

:) Thanks for the nice comments on Rory's weaving, and my garden. I do love my place, but the only flat bit is where we're working - just room for the weavers, or a bare 5 jump grid. And it was lovely and green then - first time for years I've had to mow grass more than once a week. Summer has come now though, and things are drying off fast. Although nothing like the WA summers :) .

:o for the Cider chutes - she's a clever munchkin. Are you sure she hasn't been sneakily watching dvds or reading posts? :p

:D Thanks for the nice comments on Rory's weaving, and my garden. I do love my place, but the only flat bit is where we're working - just room for the weavers, or a bare 5 jump grid. And it was lovely and green then - first time for years I've had to mow grass more than once a week. Summer has come now though, and things are drying off fast. Although nothing like the WA summers :) .

My grass is dry and awful :( There is one patch in the middle that keeps growing, though, so it needs to be mowed once a week to look respectable otherwise I have this messy middle bit with the edges dead! The whole yard is actually really atrocious :( Don't think my soil wants to grow grass as this is the 2nd attempt at trying to grow grass since moving in. The soil is full of rocks so I suspect that they are heating up and burning the roots. Gah!!!!!

Sorry, totally OT to agility :)

:( Thanks for the nice comments on Rory's weaving, and my garden. I do love my place, but the only flat bit is where we're working - just room for the weavers, or a bare 5 jump grid. And it was lovely and green then - first time for years I've had to mow grass more than once a week. Summer has come now though, and things are drying off fast. Although nothing like the WA summers :) .

My grass is dry and awful :( There is one patch in the middle that keeps growing, though, so it needs to be mowed once a week to look respectable otherwise I have this messy middle bit with the edges dead! The whole yard is actually really atrocious :) Don't think my soil wants to grow grass as this is the 2nd attempt at trying to grow grass since moving in. The soil is full of rocks so I suspect that they are heating up and burning the roots. Gah!!!!!

Sorry, totally OT to agility :)

Not really OT RS - after all you need a nice surface to train on :D . Must be a bit heart-breaking trying to get grass going in those conditions. Don't know how you guys cope with the heat at all.

Thanks ness :) That's just what I need - is it tough enough to handle a taller dog (Ziggy) as well or would it be better suited to a smaller pup that runs like the wind?

Hmmm not really sure TSD - Kenz is small and runs like the wind and its fine for her. Although I don't use it that much :) . Its the same height as a proper one so my guess is it would be ok for Ziggy.

I would say at $20 is a bargain though.

Hmmm not really sure TSD - Kenz is small and runs like the wind and its fine for her. Although I don't use it that much :) . Its the same height as a proper one so my guess is it would be ok for Ziggy.

Exactly! Mr TSD says I should definitely get it :D

Will it fit Baby Bear :D

:D yep at that sort of price is a no brainer - I would grab a second one if I used my first one more :) .

ETA. Yep Tiggy you should definitely get one for baby bear.

Edited by ness