Agility Training Talk Thread

OK I need some suggestions on how to train the closed tunnel - the last time i taught a dog this was - hmmm many years ago. I have a drum with a non see through skirt attached, which I guess can be removed?? So please any suggestions appreciated.......

Agree with the others.

PLUS one BIG thing to keep in mind is that the end of the chute needs to be pegged in. If it isn't (and I've seen it happen when people have been too lazy to do it at training) the dog stands a much higher chance of getting caught in there and then you will have a world of hurt rebuilding the confidence.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been down this slippery slope with my girl - she used to be exactly like you are describing and it just got worse and worse as she got quicker and and more excited on course. We now have an agreement that I will let her run contacts, but the minute she jumps off them she gets to walk off course. I'm not all that happy with the arrangement because it means I have to run REALLY quickly at times, but it works for us for now and realistically I need her to run contacts if we are going to beat the dogs I want her to beat :rofl: . Every so often though we come across a refusal plane that we just can't do because my training sux and I haven't stuck to my criteria in the interest of getting a card.

Have you tried training with stride regulators? Just curious.

I have been down this slippery slope with my girl - she used to be exactly like you are describing and it just got worse and worse as she got quicker and and more excited on course. We now have an agreement that I will let her run contacts, but the minute she jumps off them she gets to walk off course. I'm not all that happy with the arrangement because it means I have to run REALLY quickly at times, but it works for us for now and realistically I need her to run contacts if we are going to beat the dogs I want her to beat :D . Every so often though we come across a refusal plane that we just can't do because my training sux and I haven't stuck to my criteria in the interest of getting a card.

No. I have a video at home, but haven't had anyone to show me how to use them. At some time I will have to work out how it is done though.

Also - I keep telling myself that I just haven't worried because she has missed one contact since the middle of September and for the minute I'm quick enough to to have to worry except for the occasional really evil advanced course. :rofl:

I have been down this slippery slope with my girl - she used to be exactly like you are describing and it just got worse and worse as she got quicker and and more excited on course. We now have an agreement that I will let her run contacts, but the minute she jumps off them she gets to walk off course. I'm not all that happy with the arrangement because it means I have to run REALLY quickly at times, but it works for us for now and realistically I need her to run contacts if we are going to beat the dogs I want her to beat :dropjaw: . Every so often though we come across a refusal plane that we just can't do because my training sux and I haven't stuck to my criteria in the interest of getting a card.

No. I have a video at home, but haven't had anyone to show me how to use them. At some time I will have to work out how it is done though.

Also - I keep telling myself that I just haven't worried because she has missed one contact since the middle of September and for the minute I'm quick enough to to have to worry except for the occasional really evil advanced course. :rofl:

For sure :D sounds like she has a great track record. Just wondered as I saw it in contacts 360 they were using it to get a nice safe A-frame into a 2o2o position, she used pool noodles I think. I haven't ever taught running contacts but it seemed like using stride regulators was nice for the dogs.

I have been down this slippery slope with my girl - she used to be exactly like you are describing and it just got worse and worse as she got quicker and and more excited on course. We now have an agreement that I will let her run contacts, but the minute she jumps off them she gets to walk off course. I'm not all that happy with the arrangement because it means I have to run REALLY quickly at times, but it works for us for now and realistically I need her to run contacts if we are going to beat the dogs I want her to beat :dropjaw: . Every so often though we come across a refusal plane that we just can't do because my training sux and I haven't stuck to my criteria in the interest of getting a card.

For sure :D sounds like she has a great track record. Just wondered as I saw it in contacts 360 they were using it to get a nice safe A-frame into a 2o2o position, she used pool noodles I think. I haven't ever taught running contacts but it seemed like using stride regulators was nice for the dogs.

Cool - will have to look into it. I would love to be able to teach another option.

I have the cloth tunnel from club at home at the moment to teach my youngest too. I am waiting for a windy day as if you position it just right to catch the wind, the chute will stay open enough for dog to see a bit of daylight as they enter rather than having to hold it open. That's how I like to teach it if at all possible. Usually after a few reps of this, they are OK with it the next time.

Mind you, it appears so infrequently in trials in Vic. (not complaining!) it will be a good refresher for the kelpies too as they haven't been in one since I brought it home over the summer break this time last year. To date, my younger kelpie is in Excellent agility and Masters jumping and has never seen one in the trial ring.

I have the cloth tunnel from club at home at the moment to teach my youngest too. I am waiting for a windy day as if you position it just right to catch the wind, the chute will stay open enough for dog to see a bit of daylight as they enter rather than having to hold it open. That's how I like to teach it if at all possible. Usually after a few reps of this, they are OK with it the next time.

Mind you, it appears so infrequently in trials in Vic. (not complaining!) it will be a good refresher for the kelpies too as they haven't been in one since I brought it home over the summer break this time last year. To date, my younger kelpie is in Excellent agility and Masters jumping and has never seen one in the trial ring.

We have them in every ADAA trial, and I'm pretty sure they are in just about every CCCQ trial as well. (From memory.) The only problem with them is when it rains and the judge has to take the material off. :rofl: Once the dogs get used to them though the only concern is how hard they hit the sides when they go in on an angle!

I've seen Xena come out of one backwards on a windy day - the wind had blown it off to the side almost blocking it. She hit it at a million miles an hour and got caught up, spun around and she literally came out backwards, jumped up and kept going. :D

I was going to say the judges here aren't so keen on them either and most seem to substitute another flexi tunnel if they want another tunnel :rofl: .

Now adding SA to my list of states to visit to do some interstate trialling :D

Not my favourite piece of equipment as you can tell, especially the ones with inappropriate fabric for the chutes, of which there are several.

:rofl: kelpiechick. I would struggle to remember when I have seen one used. Most clubs have so many flexi's to spare that they seem to get used in preference. I know a few judges have used them I just can't remember when I last saw one.

Have been running a baby dog in JD/JDO for the last few months and not seen one appear there. The only other courses I have been running lately have been ADO courses.

OK I need some suggestions on how to train the closed tunnel - the last time i taught a dog this was - hmmm many years ago. I have a drum with a non see through skirt attached, which I guess can be removed?? So please any suggestions appreciated.......

Have someone hold open the closed part and gradually start lowering it. :thumbsup:

Yep and perhaps throw an isqueak through it. Millie loves the chute so much due to the isqueak being used that once she received her isqueak she would circle back and run through the chute herself with isqueak in mouth :confused: She even tried to run back through it the wrong way but thought it was a hoot cos it meant isqueaks to her!

Got Rory doing it with our heavy canvas chute at club by having someone hold it up a couple of times. And as said, making sure it's well pegged - barrel and chute itself.

Kirra got a bit tangled in one in the teams agility in Adelaide - she got out OK, but sort of came out buckjumping - which made a lovely photo for one of the photographers.

My other chute story is a greener Kirra offcoursing into the open end of a chute as the wind caught it at Warrnambool one time - it was the last obstacle, but was pretty much next to the first obstacle, and the wind caught it at the wrong time. She was a tunnel suck in those days, so it was a no contest with the real first obstacle :(

Talk about slow learners - I've just got into the YouTube thing - so here is a very amateur video of Rory trying out his weaving in the backyard - taken on ipod by my friend, who turned it on its side half way through - sorry.

Rory learnt 2x2 starting in June, but has had little practice in the last few months - which shows :) , but I like that he has independent entries, and that he thinks his way through the first poles, and then gets faster. I'm thinking that as/when he gets more regular practice, he'll get more confident and faster.

Oh, and yes - I know I need to work on him bringing his tuggy back to me quickly. :)