Agility Training Talk Thread

In this video from Clean Run, she is demonstrating how to train "push throughs" (backsides of jumps)....not sure if I missed something in the video, but wondering if anyone can explain to me why she has the extra pole leaning on the jump. I have my own ideas, as to it's purpose, but just wondering what others think, that have taught the "push through" :)

ETA,,,never mind...I just read the "disclaimer"...I skipped through that before, as I thought it had to do with copyright :laugh:

Similar to Susan Garrett's reasoning for always teaching this sort of stuff on a winged jump - wingless jumps just make it too hard and put too much pressure on dogs back ends. (The jumps themselves don't but they do encourage dogs to tuck much tighter.)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this video from Clean Run, she is demonstrating how to train "push throughs" (backsides of jumps)....not sure if I missed something in the video, but wondering if anyone can explain to me why she has the extra pole leaning on the jump. I have my own ideas, as to it's purpose, but just wondering what others think, that have taught the "push through" :)

ETA,,,never mind...I just read the "disclaimer"...I skipped through that before, as I thought it had to do with copyright :laugh:

Similar to Susan Garrett's reasoning for always teaching this sort of stuff on a winged jump - wingless jumps just make it too hard and put too much pressure on dogs back ends. (The jumps themselves don't but they do encourage dogs to tuck much tighter.)

So do you think the pole would be better placed slightly out to the side as well as back & how would you fade the pole & still get the dog to square up ??

Sometimes agility doesn't work out the way you want! Had a good weekend though, with a 2nd place, one run with 10 faults and 4 eliminations LOL! First time in this grade of jumpers, as we won out of the lower grade last year. First weekend back after injury too!!

Edited by DiscoDobe

Interesting AD - Lynda Orrin hill told is not to train tight turn soon jumps but use a pool noodle stuck in the ground (so the turns are very tight )

Correct. The foundations are done on pool noodles. (Tho SG is starting to suggest that the small noodles might be encouraging too much front end and not enough drive from the rear.)

Then once the dog is performing that with drive you start to transfer it onto winged jumps. She does VERY little work with single uprights and mentioned in Bne that she thinks they should be banned becuase of how (on tight wraps etc) they put so much pressure on the dogs rear end. :)

So do you think the pole would be better placed slightly out to the side as well as back & how would you fade the pole & still get the dog to square up ??

Honestly, not sure. Because it just looked similar I made the comment - I'm not sure how it translates to moving the pole. Sorry. :)

So proud of my boy and just wanted to share.

I've had quite a battle with CK getting him to the point where he is happy and confident running courses. This was him yesterday training on an international course set by one of the judges from this year's WAC. I didn't ever think we'd be playing like this. :) Just love him to bits.

Wow, he looks great Tony thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

So do you :)

:) Thanks Vickie. We are more connected than we've ever been atm. I'm just so excited that we have finally gelled like this.

I LOVE watching him run when he's this happy. That said I can't wait to start my new pup from Deb later in the year. ;)

:thumbsup: Don't think I've ever seen you two boys looking so much as though you're having fun! Magic. :)

He's been a different dog in the last couple of months Barb. The less I'm caring about results the more fun we are having and the better the results have been with all 3 dogs......go figure. ;) :D

:laugh: Who knew :rofl:

My theory - when you're more relaxed you can focus and be attuned more with the dog - plus your body language is more relaxed and hence more fluent. Now all I have to do is put it into practice - and lose a few years and gain more fitness. :rofl:

Miss Kirra still seems to be having lots of fun - certainly giving lots of cheek. She's entered in our first trial for the year in a couple of weeks, so I'll just see how we go - and pull out of anything that looks like I'll struggle to handle smoothly - so she can just run for fun. She turns 12 at the end of this months, but both her 'normal' vet and her acupuncture vet have cleared her to run as long as she wants to. And the misguided missile seems to be starting to listen a bit more - after one false start, was able to stay in the weavers with a tunnel just waiting to suck him in at training on Sunday :rofl: .

:) Thanks Vickie. We are more connected than we've ever been atm. I'm just so excited that we have finally gelled like this.

I LOVE watching him run when he's this happy. That said I can't wait to start my new pup from Deb later in the year. ;)

It's a wonderful feeling to be connected :) and to love running your dog!Good luck with your new pup, how exciting :)

Miss Kirra still seems to be having lots of fun - certainly giving lots of cheek.

thumbsup1.gif Didn't you know they get cheekier as they get older? laugh.gif

And the misguided missile seems to be starting to listen a bit more - after one false start, was able to stay in the weavers with a tunnel just waiting to suck him in at training on Sunday :rofl: .

thumbsup1.gif

Great video Tony - he looks very confident.

Have you been training the SG Handling360 system?

I watched her videos about it last night - found them quite good (and much higher budget / fancier than the agility videos of old - haha). Is she doing an online course or something? How are people learning it? (Apart from the ones who went to the SG seminars last year)

How have you found it if you are learning it?

Great video Tony - he looks very confident.

Have you been training the SG Handling360 system?

I watched her videos about it last night - found them quite good (and much higher budget / fancier than the agility videos of old - haha). Is she doing an online course or something? How are people learning it? (Apart from the ones who went to the SG seminars last year)

How have you found it if you are learning it?

Yes SG is doing an online handling course. The free videos are her introduction to the course content and methodology.

Great to see everyone is having FUN with their agility mates!

I have been working on speed and contacts over the break. I'm having so much fun with the speed work although I am doing as much running as the dogs! I was working tunnels with Em and noticed she was loping in and sprinting out so I straightened them out, shortened them up and had Mr TSD help me with restrained recalls. He couldn't even hold her in the end - she'd wriggle so hard and leap over the top of his hands - brilliant! Just need to add bends in carefully as that slows her down. Zig took off courses everywhere at training but I'm delighted as he was running so hard. Contacts are taking longer because I don't have much equipment but I'm really happy with what we've done so far - I'm doing "30 Days to Phenomenal Stopped Contacts". The dogs are loving it and I am finding so many holes in my training.