Agility Training Talk Thread

He tugged all day and tried his Spotted heart out. Tired Ziggy tonight.

That sounded like amazing fun for you both! :D especially loved the line at the end! Cant wait until we get our chance for that feeling! :laugh: Congrats on your great runs :)

It's an awesome feeling!!!! It can take a while to find your feet when you start trialling - but with experience comes confidence and a real connection with your dog - a pass is just the icing on the cake. I push the envelope with Ziggy now so we make more mistakes but it's worth it - he is still fairly green as we have only been trialling for about 18 months.

TO - well done on making the cut :thumbsup:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had our new tug lead arrive from Statik Paws. :thumbsup: Looks fantastic (I got purple and black) though it's very stretchy - am a little worried that Akira might stretch it too much if she gets over excited.

Congrats on the great runs, TSD. :)

Edited by whiskedaway

Just had our new tug lead arrive from Statik Paws. :thumbsup: Looks fantastic (I got purple and black) though it's very stretchy - am a little worried that Akira might stretch it too much if she gets over excited.

Congrats on the great runs, TSD. :)

I have had mine a couple of months now, and it did stretch a little, maybe 10cm, but now it has had a bit of use it is less stretchy! :) my second one turned up in the mail today! YAY!

TO - well done on making the cut :thumbsup:

Thanks! :)

We have our first session this Wednesday, we've done a fair bit of foundation work already so we might be going over things we've already done but it will be a new environment so will be good for us :D

Hey guys, I was just wondering when you all start training basics with your future agility pups? I am well aware of not doing anything too much to risk the pups joints, but I guess you must work on some foundation work quite early?

I am definately interested in one day doing some agility with Hudson, even though there doesn't seem like much in this area.

Hey guys, I was just wondering when you all start training basics with your future agility pups? I am well aware of not doing anything too much to risk the pups joints, but I guess you must work on some foundation work quite early?

I am definately interested in one day doing some agility with Hudson, even though there doesn't seem like much in this area.

I started the day I got my pup home at 11 weeks old & the breeder had already introduced him to things as well. He is now nearly 6 months & is soaking his learning up like a sponge. If you would like to get a really good book on foundation training for puppies, click on this link...it is on free postage from Clean run in America....good luck with your new pup & enjoy the journey :thumbsup:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2502&ParentCat=449

If you click on my web site below, you will find a link to lots of other books & DVD's which I have found really useful.

Edited by sheena

For the very first time at training last night I gave my girl "time out". For most of the session she was doing great, then as it got dark, out came all the little dogs & people for the next class, out of the darkness. One lady in particular has a little dog on a very long rope & she takes it to an area under the lights in direct line of sight to where we are training & sort of "lunges" it. To top it off last night, she also had some big furry toy on another string to get her little "squealer" excited. Our instructor, finally went & told her to "go somewhere else". But after that I couldn't get my girl to focus on me no matter what I tried, so in utter frustration I stuck her back in the car & shut the door. After 5 minutes I took her back out & she was "all Mine" again. :thumbsup: I have never tried "time out" before & I wonder if it might have really been effective. Anyone else done this :confused:

Yep I do time outs too, sort of - if one dog isn't playing the game then I put them away and I get the other one out. Have never had to do this to Trixie that I can remember, but I did give her a time out or two when she was a puppy and tried on running away to play with other dogs.

The other night I was doing some training at home and Kyzer was going so crazy offering me every behaviour under the sun instead of listening to me that I had to put him away for a bit for my own sanity! He was a bit less mental when he came back out!

On a related note if I am in a class I have a crate so I can put the dog in there while walking courses / talking to instructor / modifying course etc and the dog usually comes out keen to work.

Thanks for the viedos, great stuff!! Some familiar faces from the Nationals

Could somebody please either give me a link to a page that has the WA Agility entry forms on it or email a copy of some.

I have been on the CAWA site and they have the show entries 3 to a page and easy to use, their agility ones are one, stuck on the corner of the page and I can have a fiddle and get them three to a page and photocopy etc but was hoping to save some paper and time and borrow someones - please :)

Ok, I think it was in this thread that all the links for the various tug leads were posted. I have had a scan but no luck finding them. I know 1 was static paws and that was posted a couple of pages ago but I remember a discussion and quite a few links being put up. Does anyone have them?

Now that I am actually training Jazz regularly I would like to get her a nice matingale all in 1 lead to make life easier.

Ok, I think it was in this thread that all the links for the various tug leads were posted. I have had a scan but no luck finding them. I know 1 was static paws and that was posted a couple of pages ago but I remember a discussion and quite a few links being put up. Does anyone have them?

Now that I am actually training Jazz regularly I would like to get her a nice matingale all in 1 lead to make life easier.

Can't help with the Aussie sites posted, but the one I've had my eye on for a while now is www.rushtotug.com

I was going to order, but have decided to make my own now!