Agility Training Talk Thread

We have a couple on Tuesdays, and in trials we usually have a few in each class, mostly Shelties, there are about 5 or 6 or so from memory in JDM. There are more 300s than 400s from what I've noticed, here I was thinking it would be easier with a 400 dog as well :laugh: Wish there were more little dogs over here, that was one thing I liked about the Nationals, so many different breeds to watch. There are a few coming through.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try having a 400 dog they are even more in the minority at our club then the 300s, 500s and 600s. But they did go through a stage of deliberately running 400 first rather than 500 :laugh:.

ETA. Snap Amypie you must have been posting at the same time I was.

Edited by ness

Yep I'm noticing that Ness!

In the trial on the weekend there were no 400 dogs in Novice Agility and 1 in Novice Jumping. There were 3 300s in AD and 2 in JD

Masters Jumping wasn't as bad as I thought - 6 x 300s and 5 x 400s (I wasn't entered) but JDX was only 500 and 600 dogs - crazy

Yeah sometimes I wish I had a different height dog too! It can be frustrating being in a minority group. At training on Thursdays there are only 500 and 600 dogs and I always feel like I am inconveniencing people by asking to put the heights down. :o

Hey at least you got good exercise :rofl:

:rofl: True. Also if people pulled out halfway through and bellowed: "Leash!!!" I had to race over to the finish peg and retrieve their leash for them. One person's dog pooped at the first jump so I brought her leash all the way back to the start peg. It was entertaining.

Don't worry about 'inconveniencing' people. We have a Japanese Spitz and a little Sheltie in our training class and we always keep the jumps on 300 because of them and I don't think anyone minds! To be honest, I'm not even sure what height my Elbie is supposed to be jumping because he's only ever jumped 300. The thing about the trial was that there were just so many height changes. We had quite a few 300s - just one 200 though - very cute. What's funnier is seeing the table go up and down.

In the new rules the table will only be on two heights so that will make it a bit easier for stewards.

I don't feel bad getting height changes on Tuesdays, which are mostly instructed, it's just Thursdays are mainly other triallers so it runs a bit differently.

Yeah sometimes I wish I had a different height dog too! It can be frustrating being in a minority group. At training on Thursdays there are only 500 and 600 dogs and I always feel like I am inconveniencing people by asking to put the heights down. :o

:rofl: True. Also if people pulled out halfway through and bellowed: "Leash!!!" I had to race over to the finish peg and retrieve their leash for them. One person's dog pooped at the first jump so I brought her leash all the way back to the start peg. It was entertaining.

Don't worry about 'inconveniencing' people. We have a Japanese Spitz and a little Sheltie in our training class and we always keep the jumps on 300 because of them and I don't think anyone minds! To be honest, I'm not even sure what height my Elbie is supposed to be jumping because he's only ever jumped 300. The thing about the trial was that there were just so many height changes. We had quite a few 300s - just one 200 though - very cute. What's funnier is seeing the table go up and down.

Unless Elbie is particularly short or tall for a Kelpie he likely jumps 500 :) My tall fellow jumps 600.

LOL I'm so glad I don't have a fast dog, I'm unco enough as it is :laugh: :laugh:

Hey! Daisy IS fast! I saw her!

LOL well she did have a go running some obstacles straight AFTER you already had run with your dogs - any dog would look slow in comparison!! :eek::laugh: She's plenty fast enough for me :laugh:

We'll be back in Sydney for the agility workshop in November so you can see Speedy GonBeagle again then (hopefully she won't get into...something... and get bloated again though) :laugh::thumbsup:

Edited by huski

I'll have a 300 dog soon enough so we can be pesky and do more height changes :p

Damn those 500 dogs ;) rofl1.gif

I have a question. I've seen layering mentioned here, can someone please explain what that is? Ta!

I have a question. I've seen layering mentioned here, can someone please explain what that is? Ta!

Layering is where there is an obstacle between you & the one you are asking the dog to take.

You can see it here on the home stretch. We layered 2 jumps (and the judge :laugh:). I dont think this one was planned, I just knew she was on the right line and that I didn't have time to get any closer.

In some courses you are forced to layer, others it gives you a time advantage. If you have a curved tunnel and the dig needs to do the jumps around the back of it, that is a place where you are often forced to layer.

Edited by Vickie

:rofl: True. Also if people pulled out halfway through and bellowed: "Leash"

:eek: hopefully that didn't happen too often. I know people can be rude, but hopefully they were the vast minority

Nothing like that happened in the jumping ring, maybe the agility ring was a lot more stressful!

Akira's a 500 dog, but only just. 1cm shorter and she'd be 400. Our instructor reckons it'll all depend on how the person who measures her reads the stick when she gets her height card. :laugh:

:eek: Is she a miniature husky? :laugh:

Ava is about 50cm so definitely a 500 dog. I think Elbie is a similar height.