Agility Training Talk Thread

There was a chair under one end of the see saw last night for someone who was teaching their dog to do it.

That was put under there after Ruby's mishap, to prevent other novice dogs doing the same thing while running the rest of the course.

Next time there isn't many people like there was last night, I'll have to pinch the see-saw and also ask for some assistance! When there's the normal number of people there, it will be impossible to use.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickie - you didn't find your girls jumped off the dog walk excessively after showing them they could??

I don't think they have ever jumped off a dw, other than those first few times I asked them to.

I don't train them to jump off, just show them that they can if they need to

Teaching jumping off the DW so they kow how to bail is a good point and Vickie showed me this when I was having issues with Kaos. Susan Garrett also teaches this.

Are you in a class where the seesaw is in a sequence? If so, could you just use your turn to work on the Seesaw? I have done this before at my club.

I remember your tip about teaching the dog to jump off the DW when I raised Ruby's DW phobia on here earlier in the year, and I've done some of that :laugh: If she gets halfway up and frets, she jumps off. But I'm afraid of her jumping off at the full height, she just doesn't have the right "body" for it. She's quite a lean Lab, but I still fear Lab bodies aren't designed for that kind of impact :crossfingers:

Perfectly understandable :rofl: . I don't want mine jumping off the middle at full height either. They learn to jump off the up ramp or middle of a lowered dw

Are you in a class where the seesaw is in a sequence? If so, could you just use your turn to work on the Seesaw? I have done this before at my club.

Contact equipment so far is separate. We work half an hour on contact equipment, then another half hour on a jumping course.

My other option is when I can find the $$, I might go and get a private lesson or two on teaching DW and see-saw. Once we get this right, Ruby is going to have a ball. She loves jumping a lot, and her confidence and speed has picked up sooooooooo much running a course that she is now outrunning me! Good thing we have a SLS or I'd be stuffed! But now I am starting to hype her up on a SLS so she runs with more gusto, which is making the SLS slightly less solid, so now all my SLS practice will involve revving her up verbally and getting her to maintain it :laugh: She loses momentum when I try to handle her on a harder course with lots of turns, but my handling skills are severely lacking which is mostly to blame. She slows down then but with work on both our parts I'm sure we might ONE DAY get there! :crossfingers:

Akira and I had our first agility class today. We had a blast! Akira had no problems with the jumps or the A-frame (until the instructor came near her anyway because she's still a little nervous with men) though she didn't like the tunnel at first and because the DW that the puppies use is just a plank on the ground, she didn't understand she was meant to walk along it. :laugh: Had a great time though and I can't wait to really get into it next year. :confused:

For the people who do obedience and agility, did you find it hard to teach your dogs to look at the equipment? Daisy is SO focused on me and used to giving me eye contact I think it will take a bit of work to teach her that we do it a bit differently for agility.

One thing that might help break the pattern huski is try setting her up on the right and also standing a little behind her and releasing daisy when she is looking forward. The other thing which can help is putting a target out in front and releasing her when she is focusing on the target (might not help though if she won't look at it because you have proofed it in the context of obedience).

The Susan Salo jump grids are good for teaching the dog to look down a line of jumps - they mostly either use a toy reward placed at the end of the grid or food placed at the end of the grid.

Edited by ness

For the people who do obedience and agility, did you find it hard to teach your dogs to look at the equipment? Daisy is SO focused on me and used to giving me eye contact I think it will take a bit of work to teach her that we do it a bit differently for agility.

Ruby has cottoned on really well to focus on the jumps, etc. ahead. Actually didn't have to work very hard with her to get that. Millie on the other hand, is doing what Daisy is doing - finding it hard to take her eyes off me. I am doing what ness says, using a toy out ahead and releasing them to it. Millie is slowly getting the idea :confused:

Wiskedaway: I think I was in class with you :confused: I'm the owner of the crazy pointer :-)

Yayyyyy another agility addict :laugh: I feel an obsession coming on. I'm crazy excited about it all too. Bring on next year.

Haha that's crazy! I thought Riley looked familiar, but I couldn't work out where I might have seen him. I must have seen a photo you'd posted. :shrug:

Edited by whiskedaway

Yep I have the same thing with Banjo, to the point where he would run into a jump because he wouldn't take his eyes off me, I stopped taking him to training so I can work on foundation stuff without any equipment and will start back next year :) .

Edited by Tiggy

OK so just got back from our second week at agility!

Daisy was HEAPS better with the weave poles tonight, she really started interacting with them and offering going through them and I got to take some home so can really work on shaping the 2x2 stuff for the next week. Can't wait for the next class!

OK so just got back from our second week at agility!

Daisy was HEAPS better with the weave poles tonight, she really started interacting with them and offering going through them and I got to take some home so can really work on shaping the 2x2 stuff for the next week. Can't wait for the next class!

It is fun :thumbsup: I'm missing going to training, can't wait to start back next year and so excited about the puppy agility classes with Bear.

What 'bad obedience habits' does she have? Saw this on facebook :eek: .

LOL Tiggy! Just lots of handler focus (hard-ish to get her equipment focused, although we had a big improvement on that tonight), only working on my left side, missing the tunnel cos she thought she should be in heel position :thumbsup: etc etc... all stuff I am sure will come over time!

LOL Tiggy! Just lots of handler focus (hard-ish to get her equipment focused, although we had a big improvement on that tonight), only working on my left side, missing the tunnel cos she thought she should be in heel position :thumbsup: etc etc... all stuff I am sure will come over time!

It was the same with Banjo plus I felt totally awkward with him on my right :eek: .

LOL Tiggy! Just lots of handler focus (hard-ish to get her equipment focused, although we had a big improvement on that tonight), only working on my left side, missing the tunnel cos she thought she should be in heel position :rofl: etc etc... all stuff I am sure will come over time!

It was the same with Banjo plus I felt totally awkward with him on my right :laugh: .

Yeah it's weird! Even if I try luring D over to my right side she's all awkward like 'uh uh, this ain't right!' LOL :laugh:

I took a couple of weave poles home from agility club last night so we have lots to work on this week :cry: Can't wait!

LOL Tiggy! Just lots of handler focus (hard-ish to get her equipment focused, although we had a big improvement on that tonight), only working on my left side, missing the tunnel cos she thought she should be in heel position :laugh: etc etc... all stuff I am sure will come over time!

It was the same with Banjo plus I felt totally awkward with him on my right ;) .

Yeah it's weird! Even if I try luring D over to my right side she's all awkward like 'uh uh, this ain't right!' LOL :)

I took a couple of weave poles home from agility club last night so we have lots to work on this week :thumbsup: Can't wait!

Just encase you (or anyone really) is interested, a lady in my club has secured a deal with the people selling these weave poles, she is able to sell a set of 6 for $40 or two sets of 6 for $70 (inc shipping), Im about to get a set of my own, they are easily adjusted to make 2x2 or you can straighten them for a full set of 6