Agility Training Talk Thread

With the driving out with no equipment, how exactly do you do that? :wave: Are you sending the dog to the toy? I'm confused ;)

Sorry - yes - simply driving out to the toy. It is not a retrieve exercise, it is just drive to the toy, pick it up and by that time I'm usually pretty much there so we have a big game.

Once they have this down you can move it back t othe grid, but just start with one jump and then progress.

If they won't drive you to the toy to begin with start by racing them to the toy - they don't get it if they don't beat you to the toy. Then fade youself out of the picture. Otherwise throw the toy and let them chase (as long as they won't run away with it!). Then progress to longer and longer stays as you throw the toy.

ETA - as well as the with the dog/with the toy change in picture we also do a lot with lateral distance so I am right out of the picture.

Also - dog does not get relased until it is focussing on the toy, not on me. This translates to focussing on the jump in front, not on me.

It's all kind of a combination between Susan Salo's jump grids and Susan Garrett's one jump exercises.

Edited by Agility Dogs

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahah great minds hey :wave: Yep I remember seeing a section of SWOJ where she was putting the toy after the jump and releasing the dog when it was looking at the toy, will make an effort to watch the DVD this weekend.

:rofl: You lot are too funny! Thank you for the lovely comments - we think she is just gorgeous :rofl:

Yes, I tend to keep things under my hat until they come to fruition and, since she arrived last Wednesday, I've been so busy keeping her out of mischief and making sure Zig and the felines were happy too!

Congratulations on your puppy too Tiggy :laugh:

Little Miss Emily was spot on 8 weeks old when she came home so she is just over 9 weeks old now. I happened to have the opportunity to take a few days off so jumped at the chance to get her as soon as I could. Her registered name is "Cathy Earnshaw" and one of my cats is called "Brontë" so the literary theme just had to follow. Mr TSD wasn't keen on Cathy as a call name or "Cat" so Emily it is :mad

Can we have more pics, to, errr, assess her suitability for agility? :rofl::mad ;)

:mad She has potential...let's just see what her handler can do with it ;)

Well, she certainly is food motivated! Clicker training and shaping has started and she no longer eats from the bowl - just from me and from a puppy kong. Very smart little rascal too - races up, sits beautifully and looks me in the eye...

DSC03597.jpg

She just loves toys...

DSC03728.jpg

Will retrieve anything...

DSC03665.jpg

And can run like the wind...

DSC03674-1.jpg

So as not to completely derail the thread there are more pics here and here :mad

Thanks amypie - we are just loving her :rofl:

Had a great training morning at agility club - they are very well organised and run 4 week modules on different equipment so we finally are learning see saw. Zig was just amazing for a first timer - he has sound 2o/2o which helped but he is so damn confident!!! He advanced so quickly that we put him over the full sized see saw (with someone controlling the descent - just perfectly I might add :thumbsup:) and he flew over it and nailed the landing. He is scary sometimes - darned if I can keep up with him :)

I'm just loving agility training at the moment!!! I think Zig is so thrilled to have me to himself at training - last night he was throwing himself at everything and was so much faster.

We did the the grand prix course that Susan Garrett won with Encore last week - you can see it

I thought Zig would struggle with the angle of the first two jumps on a lead out but he nailed it which is great progress. Lots more work needed on tight turns and I didn't help him at all with some of my confusing handling - really need to concentrate on what is ahead rather than what has just been!!! I found the first part of the course harder - we did much better from the weaving poles onwards (although Zig was desperate to try the see saw I insisted he miss it). Really lovely flowing course with some traps and equipment to suck the dogs in. Sucked a few handlers in too :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

question, if you could do your time over with your dog training wise what would you change or do

Nothing really with Zig as he's a work in progress and I've enjoyed every twist and turn in the process - I've had some fantastic trainers as well who I can't thank enough for grounding me in the basics. Part of the trial and error process is working out the dog's motivation and level of maturity if that makes sense. I've also done showing and obedience so crossing disciplines makes it a little harder.

With my previous ACD, I would give much to be able to travel back in time and train her using what I know now.

However, I'm sure I'll say that about Zig when I'm working with Emily in agility in a few years time :thumbsup:

question, if you could do your time over with your dog training wise what would you change or do

Agility wise I would do a lot less playing games & rewarding while the dog is in front of me. I made this mistake with trim and am still paying for it occasionally. I fixed it for shine & she turns in to me a lot less.

Has anyone watched or trained the Rachel sanders running contact DVD?

We're going to do it with Pep. After watching it, I decided to do the groundwork with the girls as well. We're finding it a very worthwhile exercise to practise observation, placement of reward & teaching the dog to be less handler focussed/ dependent.