Pup Weeing On Bed!

Nahla + Teddy's Mum

Hello,

Just wanting some advise on our new 11 week old male puppy weeing and pooing in his bed!! We have to keep giving him a different thing to sleep on every night as he just wee's on his bed all the time! We keep him in a pen inside when were home and take ihm out about every hour for wees but he still doen it in his bed. :laugh: At night he sleeps in another pen in our room and same thing happens. He will cry to be let out but not all the time. I have to keep washing his bedding everyday and we are running out of thigs to give him to sleep on! Please help any advise would be good!! :laugh:

does he sleep in a crate? where is his bed? what type of bed is it? how big is his bed?

there can be many variables but i have found crate training a puppy is the quickest way to toilet train, and make sure the sleeping part of the crate isnt too big.

dogs and puppies dont like weeing and pooing in their bed so more info needed.

Where did you get puppy from? perhaps he is used to sleeping in his own mess?

I would try to condition him to go on grass/dirt only, though most pups naturally want to go on these surfaces anyway.

Take him out on a lead and don't let him leave the toilet area. Use a very good reward (eg chicken, roast beef, something very yummy) when he does go in the correct spot. If he goes somewhere else don't reward.

Take some turf or dirt and put in in a tray or somehting and put it in the puppy pen at night.

I used puppy pads initially, some people don't like this but I found no problems when i took it away when my puppy was older. Personally I would rather my pup go on the pads than on bedding!

When I fist got my puppy, I locked her in a crate overnight. I put a towel on the bottom of the crate, but then the puppy pads over the top of the towel just in case there was an accident. They are good because they are soft top but have platic on the bottom, so will stop the towels from getting dirty/wet.

Also teaching him to toilet on command is great and relatively easy. Just say somehting like "quick quick" or "hurry up" or something you are comfortable saying just as he begins to toilet.

It is unusual that a puppy will go in a confined space and especially on their bedding! Perhaps talk with his breeder? Otherwise you may consider getting a trianer/behaviourist to help you figure this out.

ETA: if you got your pup from a pet shop it can be EXTREMELY hard to toilet train them. I would get the assistance of a trainer or at least a very experienced dog person.

Edited by aussielover

Hello,

I have a 15 week old Cavvie and we don't let her drink after 8pm at night. It was the best thing I read!!

We put her to bed (her crate which we leave open, in the laundry with the door closed) at about 10pm (toileting her first). I leave a wee mat down for her on the laundry floor. We have had much success with this, as after night three, she slept the whole night without waking me up.

In the morning there would be one wee on the mat, but in the last two weeks, she has been holding on and she wakes us up about 7.30am, asking to be let out! I open the laundry door to a mess free zone! Which I can assure you is much more pleasant first thing in the morning!! She runs straight outside and does her business.

I am also finding that when I put her in the laundry while I am at work, she tends to hold on also (even when she has access to water). It would appear that she has an aversion now to going inside the laundry (Which is good!!). We are getting there with the rest of the house, having the odd accident here and there. I have also found that feeding her in the rooms she would have an accident, has reduced the occurance of them dramatically. We rotate feeding her between the lounge room, bedroom and family room areas.

My advice is to make sure you stick to a routine. If in doubt, take the little one outside. After every feed, play, chew, snooze, walk etc.

I am sure you will be relieved of the daily washing soon enough!!

Hello,

I have a 15 week old Cavvie and we don't let her drink after 8pm at night. It was the best thing I read!!

Sorry, but I don't believe that denying a pup water is a good substitute for training.

I am also finding that when I put her in the laundry while I am at work, she tends to hold on also (even when she has access to water). It would appear that she has an aversion now to going inside the laundry (Which is good!!).

Its also a recipe for repeated bladder infections. A pup shouldn't be asked to hold its bladder for hours both day and night. I'd highly recommend you get a dog door or make her a safe and warm place outside when you are at work.

My advice is to make sure you stick to a routine. If in doubt, take the little one outside. After every feed, play, chew, snooze, walk etc.I am sure you will be relieved of the daily washing soon enough!!

This is good general advice (a much better idea than hourly toileting) but routines don't always work with pups who have had their instinct not to eliminate where they eat or sleep eroded by being confined 24/7 in crates or pet shop windows. This is why people are asking where the pup came from.. and the OP has read those questions and isn't answering. :laugh:

It took a friend of mine months to toilet train her pet shop pup. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Wizzle: I kinda don't agree denying a pup water (especially as youngs as yours) water. Certain weathers, the pup needs to drink.

But, I agree with taking pup out after eat, play and sleep is a good idea. it's all about being consistence about it.

Well we did get him from a pet shop through a breeder...we couldnt find him over in WA but he was only there for 1 night until we could pick him up. He sleeps in a 1m x 1m pen next to our bed at night ( it was bigger but we reduced it as it was too much mess to clean up every morning) in a comfy bed with blankets and sofy toys for him to cuddle up to and then during the day he is in the laundry with a doggy door and always uses that! Never had a surprise in the arvo when I get home from work? At night we put him in a pen in the family room if we are busy and cant keep a constant eye on him and he does his business if werent not carfeul in there also. He has newspaper and puppy pads but usually goes smack bang in the middle of his bed most nights. We feed him outside and then wait for him to do something, treat him with chicken or beef liver and give him lots of praise which he responds to then bring him back inside. After a bit of a play or training session I take him out again and we use the command " do wee's" and he usually does so we are puzzled on why he does a flip around at night? He doesnt make a sound during the night so I'm thinking of setting my alarm and getting up or will that teach him not to cry when he wants to be let out?

Well we did get him from a pet shop through a breeder...we couldnt find him over in WA but he was only there for 1 night until we could pick him up. He sleeps in a 1m x 1m pen next to our bed at night ( it was bigger but we reduced it as it was too much mess to clean up every morning) in a comfy bed with blankets and sofy toys for him to cuddle up to and then during the day he is in the laundry with a doggy door and always uses that! Never had a surprise in the arvo when I get home from work? At night we put him in a pen in the family room if we are busy and cant keep a constant eye on him and he does his business if werent not carfeul in there also. He has newspaper and puppy pads but usually goes smack bang in the middle of his bed most nights. We feed him outside and then wait for him to do something, treat him with chicken or beef liver and give him lots of praise which he responds to then bring him back inside. After a bit of a play or training session I take him out again and we use the command " do wee's" and he usually does so we are puzzled on why he does a flip around at night? He doesnt make a sound during the night so I'm thinking of setting my alarm and getting up or will that teach him not to cry when he wants to be let out?

OK, not sure what sort of "breeder" would ever send a pup via a petshop but I can guess.

I'd imagine your pup has been whelped and raised outside of a domestic environment and the idea of not eliminating whereever it wants is new.

A 1m square pen is too big to get your puppy to worry about eliminating in its sleeping area. Can you partition it off or get a crate that's much smaller (big enough to turn around and lie down in but not so big that it can wander away from its sleeping area). Put it right by your bed and every time that puppy stirs, take it outside. Set an alarm if need be for a middle of the night trip.

If you cannot watch him constantly at the moment either put him outside or confine him where he can access the dog door. Sounds to me like what's creating some of your issues is lack of access outside.

OK- before the pet shop where was he?

reason being, if he was from a 'breeder' who, how can I put it , was not in the breeding/selling for the right reasons.. a lot of the time pups/dogs are kept in very small pens , and they HAVE to toilet where they sleep and eat.

Is the breeder willing to help you with solving these problems?

What breed is your puppy?

I was also recommeded to remove water after 7pm at puppy school.

I DO NOT agree with this, it is a bit selfish to deprive your pup just so you don't have to wake up or clean mess. Puppies can NOT hold on for 8hrs + if they are awake and active and should not be encouraged to do so. If they are sleeping it is a different story, they can hold on for longer as metabolism slows down.

You should focus on getting your puppy to go to sleep quickly at night and sleep through the night. My puppy started sleeping through the night with no accidents at around 11-12 weeks and I know some pups do this at 8-9 weeks.

You will soon be able to recognise the signs that the puppy is about to toilet (especially poo), this is useful as you can pop them out quickly as soon as you see them.

When I got my pup at 8 weeks, I toileted her every 40 minutes and also after food, water and waking from sleep. Just set the timer and it is easy. I actually had no accidents in the first few days (but then got a bit slack with setting the timer so had a few accidents)

I still toilet my 3 month old after she wakes up or has a big play.

I was also recommeded to remove water after 7pm at puppy school.

I DO NOT agree with this, it is a bit selfish to deprive your pup just so you don't have to wake up or clean mess. Puppies can NOT hold on for 8hrs + if they are awake and active and should not be encouraged to do so.

Removing the urge to toilet via denying water is also not teaching the pup what to do when the urge hits. It's managing an issue, not educating a puppy about the right thing to do.

I have read a few different books about raising puppies, both specific to my breed and pups in general. One in particular had lots of helpful advice on a range of different issues, house breaking being a major one. I think it is against the rules to mention the title, but I am sure if you visit the library or book shop, there will be books available.

I guess raising puppies is similar to raising children, in that there is all sorts of advice you will hear/be offered, but you have to take on board what is right for you and what fits into your daily routine. You can read all the literature in the world, raise as many as you like, but it still won't make you an expert...

Genevieve has access to water all day, it is just the evening that it is removed. She gets ice cubes if she goes looking for her water bowl. This was suggested to me from several sources, including my vet and puppy preschool teacher... we also did a similar thing with a previous family dog. Several books I have read also suggest this. It doesn't make it right for everyone, but it has worked for us.

I have read a few different books about raising puppies, both specific to my breed and pups in general. One in particular had lots of helpful advice on a range of different issues, house breaking being a major one. I think it is against the rules to mention the title, but I am sure if you visit the library or book shop, there will be books available.

I guess raising puppies is similar to raising children, in that there is all sorts of advice you will hear/be offered, but you have to take on board what is right for you and what fits into your daily routine. You can read all the literature in the world, raise as many as you like, but it still won't make you an expert...

Genevieve has access to water all day, it is just the evening that it is removed. She gets ice cubes if she goes looking for her water bowl. This was suggested to me from several sources, including my vet and puppy preschool teacher... we also did a similar thing with a previous family dog. Several books I have read also suggest this. It doesn't make it right for everyone, but it has worked for us.

Puppy dehydration ain't puppy education Wizzle. When the summer temps rise, most of my dogs will drink after 8pm. Free access to water doesn't necessarily mean more accidents provided the OWNER is doing the right thing. :vomit:

We did question the breeder too but once you fall in love with a puppy its hard to judge him on his owner! Other than his toilet training he is a great puppy with a beautiful personality! He is a cocker spaniel. Yes we can reduce the pen size so only his bed is in it but wondering if he will always then do it in his bed? I was thinking maybe he is confused as he sleeps on a diffrent bed every night at the moment? He has plenty of access outside during the day and we play with him outside when we get home from work. He knows how to use the doggy door as I've said so no acciedents inside only at night. I may have to set my alarm because he does not cry to be let out? But will that just teach him that he doesnt need to do anything to let me know?

We did question the breeder too

and what was their response?

Sorry for all teh queries- but if this is a habit the poor pup learnt while he was still a little baby- it will be more work for you to undo :vomit: and if a breeder DID keep their dogs like this- then you may need to be a bit cautious ,and question them about other things like genetic diseases... some folks producing puppies don't bother too much with the correct health tests - and sometimes new owners find their puppy is not quite as perfect as they thought.

They just assured us that the puppy's health was in their best interest and not realy helpful which was a shame! We've had him checked over and he seems fine and nothing out of the ordinary my aunty is a vet and she said he looks like a very healthy dog with no signs of trouble at this early stage. I'll try some new techniques tonight and see how I go! He has the most beautiful nature I have seen on a dog so hopefully once we get this under control it will be all smoothe sailing from here onwards. We have no intention what so ever of sending him back or re-homing him so we are in it for the long run and committed to helping this little fella until he get's it right! Also we have no troubles settling him in to bed at night...we put him in the pen after a toilet run and then he has a grizzle for about 10 secs and arranges himself in a comfy spot and we dont hear a peep until my alarm goes off in the morning and he's aware were getting up!

They just assured us that the puppy's health was in their best interest and not realy helpful which was a shame!

So they DNA tested his parents for PRA?

Not sure...have emailed them this morning with a couple of questions so hoepfully they get back to me today with some answers!