Puppy Crying/whinging In The Morning

Cookiez

Our puppy is nearly 9 months old now- and he sleeps amazingly well at night. We've never had a problem putting him to sleep- even when he came home on the first night.

However, he will cry and whinge when he wants us out of bed in the morning!

We have sectioned off a bit of the house as his "pen". This includes part of the hallway and the spare bathroom. It is located across from our bedroom and from where he is, he can see my bed. We only put him in the pen when it's bed time as we still don't quite trust him to have free run of the house. Our bedroom is also carpeted, and although he is toilet trained, we'd like to feel 100% sure before letting him sleep "anywhere".

As soon as he goes in the pen at night, he will curl up and go to sleep. He's very good and never makes a sound at night. He will get up and take himself to the toilet (we have a puppy toilet in the spare bathroom).

I get up several times in the night to go to the bathroom. Sometimes this wakes him up but he never makes a sound.

When my husband's alarm go off at 6:30am- that's when he starts. He will wait to see if we're moving around- then as soon as my husband goes in our ensuite- Codi starts crying and whinging. We don't respond to him, in an effort for him to learn that if he cries, he's not going to get let out. He will do this until we are finished in the bathroom. When we come out and stand in the doorway of our bedroom- he will then be very quiet, sitting there really nicely with his tail wagging as if to say, "Cry? Me? No... that never happened!"

We thought he would eventually grow out of crying in the morning, as this is the same routine we take everyday. He doesn't actually whinge or cry at us once he sees us- it's only for those initial minutes when we get out of bed.

On the weekend he does this slightly "later" in the morning. We don't set an alarm so he usually only does this act once he hears one of us get up.

Any ideas on what we can do or do I have to just put up with him crying every morning? Lol.

Lol, it doesn't bother me. It bothers my husband! :laugh:

I do worry that the neighbours might hear him (we are very close to our neighbours. New house and they way they build!)- but other than that I don't care so much...

On weekends it is a little annoying because by the time 8am rolls around he will start with a little whimper to see if we'll get up. :laugh:

Like aussielover said, he is probably excited. Is there a reason why you can't let him out and have a run around, while you guys get ready for work... or your husband?

Emmy wakes up all happy and excited about starting the day.. she goes and makes sure that the boyfriend, Charlie and I know that she is awake and she is happy. I take her outside to do her business.. then we come back inside for serious morning cuddles time :laugh:

On weekends, she knows it's sleep in time, so once we get back in bed.. she goes and cuddle right now to the boyfriend and goes back to sleep.

Like aussielover said, he is probably excited. Is there a reason why you can't let him out and have a run around, while you guys get ready for work... or your husband?

Emmy wakes up all happy and excited about starting the day.. she goes and makes sure that the boyfriend, Charlie and I know that she is awake and she is happy. I take her outside to do her business.. then we come back inside for serious morning cuddles time :laugh:

On weekends, she knows it's sleep in time, so once we get back in bed.. she goes and cuddle right now to the boyfriend and goes back to sleep.

When I say we get up and get ready- we are literally just walking into the ensuite to go to the bathroom and maybe brush our teeth. We would be no more then 2 minutes then we get him straight out of his pen for a run around and then his morning walk.

Once we get home from the walk then we take turns getting ready so he gets to spend time with us.

Codi has never been good at cuddling up and going to sleep. When we got him as a puppy I thought there was something run cos he never napped during the day! He would be dead tired and struggling to keep his eyes open and he would still be walking around.

On the upside though, like I said- he sleeps so well at night and never makes a sound so I suppose I should be happy for the trade off!

6:30am is a sleep-in in our house :)

I am really firm with Ava (7 months) likes to come into our room at 5:30am and poke her nose in our faces. She gets a very strong "NO, back to bed" when she does this and she listens and goes back to her bed in the lounge. Unfortunately, OH isn't firm on her so she only tries his side of the bed now :vomit:

Sorry, not much advice, but we have an early riser here and I don't see it changing any time soon :)

Let him out, let him toilet, put him back in his pen.

Cover your heads with a pillow and ignore him.

I'd expect most dogs need to toilet after a night of sleeping. I'd not make him wait for that but he'd be going back in his pen afterwards.

Let him out, let him toilet, put him back in his pen.

Cover your heads with a pillow and ignore him.

I'd expect most dogs need to toilet after a night of sleeping. I'd not make him wait for that but he'd be going back in his pen afterwards.

He has access to his toilet in his pen. (Hard to describe, he has basically 2 areas blocked off- a sleeping area and then I have a puppy toilet for him in the bathroom).

He seems to just cry because he heard/saw us get up and wants us to attend to him right away. As soon as we make our way to the door and he knows he's about to be let out- he's silent. :vomit:

6:30am is a sleep-in in our house :)

I am really firm with Ava (7 months) likes to come into our room at 5:30am and poke her nose in our faces. She gets a very strong "NO, back to bed" when she does this and she listens and goes back to her bed in the lounge. Unfortunately, OH isn't firm on her so she only tries his side of the bed now :vomit:

Sorry, not much advice, but we have an early riser here and I don't see it changing any time soon :)

To be honest it doesn't bother me that much. I just more so want to know why he does it! I thought at first he did it because he was a young puppy- now it seems like a habit! He usually wakes up around 5am (I can hear him moving around) but he won't make a sound till he hears one of us get up to use the bathroom. Then it's on! Lol.

Thank goodness he doesn't do that when I get up in the night though!

• 1 month later...

My puppy used to do the same behaviour! Would drive the household & neighbours nuts each morning. You said that the crying and whinging only starts when your husband goes into the bathroom? I would start by only coming out of the bathroom once the whinging has stopped completely and Cody is calm. Verbally praise and immediately take him outside to do his business, have a drink etc. Once he realises that being quiet actually triggers your attention, you could start making the time you get up and the time you pay attention to him longer.

We can do 30 minutes with our dogs without any whining in the morning, gives my partner and I time to head to the bathroom and have a nice cup of coffee. Hope this helps!