Flying A Pup Overseas

We are looking at going back to Ireland to visit OH's family round the end of the year, probably November, and want to buy a puppy for his Mum.

OH's dog stayed with his parents when he came over here and he recently died and his Mum really misses having him.

I've looked around for breeders in the UK and really haven't come up with much.

Then we started talking about buying a puppy here and flying it over with us.

I don't like the idea too much, I get upset thinking of a baby puppy flying for so long on his own....but then I'm a sook :laugh:

Has anyone done this? Would a puppy cope ok?

Breed will be either SBT or Amstaff.

puppy would cope but it depends how much you wish to spend on the 1 pup getting it there.You also need to to check but with Ireland if you want the pet passport option testing & paperwork needs to be started 9 months prior otherwise its quarantine.

What breed are they after someone may be able to help you

Wouldn't this be like carting coal to Newcastle. :cry:

The Irish are known Terrier people and we export from them.

Their are excellent Staffordshire Bull Terrier kennels in England.

The puppies that are exported from England to Australia

also do quarantine and cope well.

Why do it this way.

If she wants a dog let her pick the dog herself over there, offer to pay or whatever you need to do.

I hope this isnt something you are planning as a surprise.

There are thousands of staffy breeders in the UK

contact the kennel club for a list of accredited breeders and go from there - it will be much cheaper and easier to do this and you can take mum along to see the litters.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services...rier.findapuppy just click on the geographical areas you want a pup from, there are 2 litters listed for northern ireland atm.

You could also go through the UK or Irish KC to find the local breed clubs and ask about puppies/breeders.

Hope you have discussed this his mum

I'm offended someone would even ask that.

I work in an animal shelter, so trust me, I know all too well how many animals are dumped every day and bought as "gifts".

His Mum has asked us to help her with finding her a puppy, it's the same breed as the last dog.

Just so we're all clear on this.

I would NEVER buy someone a puppy as a surprise.

She has asked us to help her find a puppy.

I was having trouble finding a good list of breeders in the net and we just talked about taking one over. We weren't even sure if it was possible. Its definitely not something we have decided on. Just an option we were exploring.

As I said in the OP, I don't like the idea but was just interested to know if people had done it.

Thanks for the suggestions

There are thousands of staffy breeders in the UK

contact the kennel club for a list of accredited breeders and go from there - it will be much cheaper and easier to do this and you can take mum along to see the litters.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services...rier.findapuppy just click on the geographical areas you want a pup from, there are 2 litters listed for northern ireland atm.

You could also go through the UK or Irish KC to find the local breed clubs and ask about puppies/breeders.

Thanks for that becks. Exactly what I was looking for :rofl: Don't ask me why I couldnt find it :rofl: Ta

Cork Staffordshire Bull Terrier Society Cork Mr John Sweeney Ballyfeard, Minane Bridge, Cork, Ireland

Phone: 021-4770808

Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier Mr Martin Murphy

Association

Sat 7th 8 Belclare Terrace, Poppintree, Dublin 11, Ireland

Mobile: 085 166021

http://www.ikc.ie/showdates10.pdf

Shows in Ireland

Thanks showdog, will check these out :rofl:

I now in 2007 the Dublin breed ban came in & not sure it is still exists or where its at at present,you may want to check this out as well

Yes, at first we were going to look for an Amstaff, but there are no breeders or pups at all!

Looks like it will be a staffy :rofl:

I now in 2007 the Dublin breed ban came in & not sure it is still exists or where its at at present,you may want to check this out as well

Yes, at first we were going to look for an Amstaff, but there are no breeders or pups at all!

Looks like it will be a staffy :rofl:

You won't find any - Amstaffs don't officially exist in the UK and the general consensus amongst officials is that they would be classified as "pit bull type" if found. You can NOT import them.

You will have no problem finding a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the UK - there are approximately 25,000 of them registered every year :rofl:, to say nothing of the thousands in rescue every year. Try www.staffords.co.uk for a start, hope Troy doesn't bite me for that one!

Edited by Sandra777

Looks like it will be a staffy :laugh:

You won't find any - Amstaffs don't officially exist in the UK and the general consensus amongst officials is that they would be classified as "pit bull type" if found. You can NOT import them.

You will have no problem finding a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the UK - there are approximately 25,000 of them registered every year :D, to say nothing of the thousands in rescue every year. Try www.staffords.co.uk for a start, hope Troy doesn't bite me for that one!

Staffords where originally on the breed ban list but i gather they have fought hard thank god or it maybe certain area,s

Looks like it will be a staffy :laugh:

You will have no problem finding a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the UK - there are approximately 25,000 of them registered every year :D, to say nothing of the thousands in rescue every year. Try www.staffords.co.uk for a start, hope Troy doesn't bite me for that one!

Staffords where originally on the breed ban list but i gather they have fought hard thank god or it maybe certain area,s

Staffords are included and are required to be muzzled in certain parts of Ireland but apparently this part of the law is not widely practised :) Amstaffs however would get caught up.

It is very expensive to get a dog into the UK from here, not sure about Ireland. I got a quote less than a year ago and it was well over $4000. Nearly double what it costs to get a dog into the US.

Thanks GM, I thought it might be. I've found a few SBT breeders who look pretty good so I'll be researching them for the next while :crossfingers:

Thanks everyone for the tips :rolleyes: