Camera Idea

RoxyNHemi

Hi Everyone

i want a better camera, I have got a basic Sony 12.1mp still camera, and am thinking of upgrading to a DLSR but dont want to jump in before I know anything

So I was in Harvey Norman today and they showed me a Nikon - was $650 + extras - filter lens, memory card, bag.... I just want something I can learn with and grow with....

Any suggestions on where to start and camera suggestions

I know this has probably been done a million times so apologies

OK, first thing, what are you going to want to do with this - ie are you just looking for something to take good shots with of people and pets, are you into landscapes, (or want an allrounder to do all of the above) or are you looking to take it a step further and go into it seriously - that will help dictate if you look at a nice consumer level SLR and a couple of good combo lens, or a more prosumer type camera, and good glass. The other thing to consider, is what level of editing are you looking to do with the camera - with digital, you pretty much have the choice to shoot jpeg, and let the camera dictate a lot of the decisions re sharpness, saturation etc, and process minimally, or shoot RAW, and process via something like photoshop and have full control over the final look of the images.

Do have a look-see through some of the more recent "what camera should I buy" threads as there has been some excellent discussions on how to narrow your choices down, what to look for AND shopping tips. I think there are threads in this section and in the Tips/Techniques subforum.

You can't go too wrong with many of the Nikon or Canon entry level ranges, really.