Putting Weight On A Dog

I know this has been discussed several times before but this case is a bit different to the others. I need some advice on feeding our HamiltonStovare. When he was younger, he had to have some of his intestine removed due to a blockage. Since then we have not been able to put and keep any weight on him. We need to be relatively careful on what we feed him. If we feed him too much, it goes straight through him. He can not eat too much fat, so satin balls and lamb flaps are out. He loves raw meat and doesn't really like dry food. He will eat dry but not enough to help his weight. Do you have any suggestions on what we can feed him that would help to keep weight on him? I was just watching him run around with a couple of our Elkies and I could see all of his ribs. He is healthy and has been checked out by Vets who carried out tests and couldn't find anything else wrong.

Guest belgian.blue

Natures Gift tinned food mixed with dry food goes down well with my pup who is hard to keep weight on.

Stops him eating the dry food in one mouthful and is fairly high in fat .. well the puppy one is.

two slices of wholemeal bread every day.

I never thought of that. We have tried lots of things but the trouble with Brock is that he needs fat to put on weight but if you give him anything too fatty, it comes out as liquid at the other end. :cry:

How often do you feed him? You could try feeding small amounts more frequently, like every 2 or 3 hours. How does he handle raw lamb hearts? I've found they're great for increasing weight and are usually well tolerated. I've 'fattened' severely underweight dogs on chicken (for bone to keep the stools firm) and lamb hearts. You just need to adjust the amount of chicken up or down to keep the stools looking good. I would feed a chicken quarter (Kelpie size dog), then 3 hours later a heart (or half a heart at first), then another heart (or half) 3 hours later, then another, then a chicken quarter again, then another lamb heart, etc. This has always worked really well and quite quickly for me with very little digestive upset.

How often do you feed him? You could try feeding small amounts more frequently, like every 2 or 3 hours. How does he handle raw lamb hearts? I've found they're great for increasing weight and are usually well tolerated. I've 'fattened' severely underweight dogs on chicken (for bone to keep the stools firm) and lamb hearts. You just need to adjust the amount of chicken up or down to keep the stools looking good. I would feed a chicken quarter (Kelpie size dog), then 3 hours later a heart (or half a heart at first), then another heart (or half) 3 hours later, then another, then a chicken quarter again, then another lamb heart, etc. This has always worked really well and quite quickly for me with very little digestive upset.

Thank you. I don't think he has tried lamb heart but I will get some when I next do the dog food shopping. I will also try feeding smaller meals more often and see if that helps.

Hey Norskgra :mad

I am just a little curious - removing a bowel section shouldn't affect what he can eat unless you're talking immediately post-op. :eek:

I would be looking for another reason as why he can't eat fattier foods...pancreas?

Or perhaps you just need to introduce the fattier foods more slowly into the diet?

Just some thoughts :laugh: