Shampoo

Mindy has dandruff. The vet recommended Aloveen shampoo. I have tried this and it didn't help (maybe even made it a bit worse).

I was careful to wash it all out as instructed.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks

By the way mindy is a labrador puppy

Mindy has dandruff. The vet recommended Aloveen shampoo. I have tried this and it didn't help (maybe even made it a bit worse).

I was careful to wash it all out as instructed.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks

By the way mindy is a labrador puppy

I recommend Maleseb. See this site: http://www.dermcare.com.au/

It is not cheap, but is excellent for a dog with any kind of skin problem.

it's quite normal in Labs. My advise is to not over bath her, this will only strip the coat of it's natural oils.

Start adding sardine in oil to her diet, you will find this will help.

I know of a few Lab breeders that bath their blacks in wool wash to help with the dandruff.

My advise is to not over bath her, this will only strip the coat of it's natural oils.

Start adding sardine in oil to her diet, you will find this will help.

I agree with this.

Frequent and thorough brushing/combing .. some added oils , and let her skin get to work! She is a baby, her skin hasn't even had time to work out that it IS skin yet- let alone cope with extra chemicals on it :laugh:

I don't think you should use Malaseb, it's strong stuff.

Agree with not washing her for a bit to let the natural oils come back.

If you do need to wash her - Aloveen used to give my old black dog dandruff too after I used it, I used Moogoo on her instead ( a gentle human shampoo & conditioner) and she didn't get it any more.

I agree with not over bathing her especially in Malaseb it is quite harsh - my dog had dandruff from allergies and we dont use Malaseb on him, we used to though until we found out it is very drying on the coat. I would go with the extra sardines or fish oil.

A final rinse of Alpha Kerri Oil diluted in warm water, worked wonders for my puppies dandruff. I hope it isn't causing her any grief, it's very upsetting to see a puppy with itchy dry skin :heart:

Edited by meluchja

Thanks everyone! I only bathed her because the vet recommended it. Before yesterday she hadn't been bathed for a month.

Where would you get sardine oil? will fish oil have the same effect?

Also, what brush is best for her? I was given a bristle brush but it doesn't seem to be that effective at removing dirt or the dandruff

Edited by aussielover

I'm not sure if it is so good for dogs but Banj used to get terrible dandruff and I tried different shampoos and nothing was working.

I ended up using a normal gentle dog shampoo and then using head and shoulders conditioner afterwards and the results are amazing.

He has no dandruff, and doesnt scratch and lick himself silly anymore.

Also he is super silky smooth and smells really good

Edited by jazawayaya

it's quite normal in Labs. My advise is to not over bath her, this will only strip the coat of it's natural oils.

I agree, Lab lady, and it's not just Labs. I think it can be 'normal' (although I think 'common' is a better word) for some pups in general. Let the skin find its natural balance. Keep an eye on it but if it's not a rash nor bothering her, don't panic and jump in to do anything with the use of chemicals too soon. Give nature a chance to do its thing. My boy had a pretty bad case of dandruff when he first came to me at 8wo. It balanced itself out on its own without my interference with chemical washes or washes of any description.

Edited by Erny