Email That I Just Recieved

Gilypoo

Subject: FW: URGENT Warning - Pet Owners

I work in Local Government and this is an email that is getting passed around through the Shires in WA by the Rangers

I just thought that I would share

Wildcare has just received this notice – am onsending to members for their info.

mulch.jpg

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do. Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by TARGET , Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'.

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Although the mulch has NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Thanks for the warning. I was already told about this on Facebook, but never thought to post it on here.

Edit: Ah, Persephone, I didn't realise it wasn't sold here. That's good to know.

Edited by whiskedaway

Garden mulch - cocoa mulch

Cocoa Mulch is also known as 'Cocoa Bean Mulch' or 'Cocoa Shell Mulch' and is used as a mulch in home gardens in some countries. It is a byproduct of the manufacture of cocoa powder and other chocolate products. There have been several reports of pets being poisoned by cocoa mulch in other countries such as the United States and United Kingdom. As far as RSPCA Australia is aware cocoa mulch is generally not available in Australia.

from the RSPCA website.

This email, and variants have been floating around for a few years ....

Would you believe I heard the local radio station's vet broadcast a dire warning based on an email she had received, with much emotion. I nearly rang up and pointed out how long those emails had being doing the rounds and that the mulch is not believed to be sold here - but the info given out on that show is so often wrong decided not worth the effort.