How Young Can You Start Competing?

how young is too young to start trialling i have a 8mth old and after going to look at a trial last weekend i think my boy is ready for the first level of competition is it bad manners to enter him for experience even if he dosent pass but i dont beleive this is an issue because even i forget how young he is (i have lucked it with this dog he is an angel to train and loves being taught new things my other kids took me 2yrs to train), i know i dont want to push him too fast so his next level will take a while, but i think it is me that needs the time not him LOL :love: . i can see how people get addicted to this now after ten yrs of owning dogs i have finally decided to give something new a try and i am enjoying the quality time with just me and my furr kid, just wanted other peoples opinions is all.

I think how old depends on exactly where you live, so hopefully someone local to you can answer that part of your question.

I'm just answering to say that I don't think it's rude to compete with a dog you doubt will pass, so long as the dog doesn't interfere with other competitor's dogs.

So if your dog is under good control & won't ruin anyone elses' trial experience, then I'd say go right ahead & good luck! :love: But if you suspect your dog will break his stay & go say hi to the other dogs in the line up, or dash into the ring next door on his recall, then I think it is more polite to wait until he is more reliable to compete.

JMO.

I think how old depends on exactly where you live, so hopefully someone local to you can answer that part of your question.

I'm just answering to say that I don't think it's rude to compete with a dog you doubt will pass, so long as the dog doesn't interfere with other competitor's dogs.

So if your dog is under good control & won't ruin anyone elses' trial experience, then I'd say go right ahead & good luck! :love: But if you suspect your dog will break his stay & go say hi to the other dogs in the line up, or dash into the ring next door on his recall, then I think it is more polite to wait until he is more reliable to compete.

JMO.

i know he wont break he only has eyes for me, he even looks like a freak walking along looking at my face 99% (1% of the time he is getting a treat) of the time it gives him this stupid little bounce because he is knee height and a chunky boy at 30kg, recall he is fine with although he comes too close he sticks his nose right in between my legs (soo embarrasing cause it looks like he is doing something he shouldn't LOL even if it is for a second he def can not get any closer trying to get him to come close without the nose dive it is the only thing i have to get him out of) like it is a stopping point for a second my fault cause i trained him to do this to get him to come in close with treats and sits looks up into my face to say i am here mum , stays he just looks at me even when others break and start sniffing or putting a paw on him to play he just looks at me but his eye expression changes like he is having a mental issue with staying cause he was told to and wanting to play cause he is a puppy but i always win out

A dog can officially trial in Obedience from 6 months old and in Agility from 18 months old. At what age a dog will be ready to trial in either discipline is an individual dog (and handler) thing. Have you trialed a dog before? I'd suggest trying to get to a mock trial before entering the real thing if possible?? If your dog is not going to interfer with other competitors then I can't see why other people would take issue with you entering a dog.

My current dog started competition (Gundog Working Test which has elements of obedience) at 7 months and his first Obedience trial at 10 months. He was ready, but my previous dogs have been closer to 2 years old and definitely not ready that young.

• 3 weeks later...

It is considered bad manners to enter a trial just to see how he goes. There are certain etiquettes you have to be aware of, ring craft for you and your dog that will set you up for success.

Most obedience clubs do offer what we call ring run out exercises where they will set up a mock trial and you can practice.

No one will begrudge a dog and owner who has tried to prepare and stuffs it up on the night. Judges tend not like those that have had no prep or have bothered to learn the etiquettes and ring craft (and the rules).

Other than that, your dog is physically old enough. Personally though, no matter the age, I prefer to have my animals pretty reliant before going into the ring.

What your dog will do in training and the back yard is one thing but getting that performance in the trial ring is often another thing. The last thing you want is a ring wise dog that won't perform in the ring. I don't know your dog so I'm just offering some thoughts.

how young is too young to start trialling i have a 8mth old and after going to look at a trial last weekend i think my boy is ready for the first level of competition is it bad manners to enter him for experience even if he dosent pass but i dont beleive this is an issue because even i forget how young he is (i have lucked it with this dog he is an angel to train and loves being taught new things my other kids took me 2yrs to train), i know i dont want to push him too fast so his next level will take a while, but i think it is me that needs the time not him LOL :laugh: . i can see how people get addicted to this now after ten yrs of owning dogs i have finally decided to give something new a try and i am enjoying the quality time with just me and my furr kid, just wanted other peoples opinions is all.

age is not the issue I know of dogs who have their CD at nine months, then they bomb out badly in the higher classes you don't want your dog to be bored

out of it's brain by the time it is twelve months old. Stays are very important, is he or she used to staying in a line up of dogs. It is easy to be on the

side line and say my dog can do that a lot better, it is a different story when you are in there. If you feel your dog is ready in every aspect and not just

front finishes then go for it. I am currently working with a pup with great focus but I will not start him until he is two. Pup's are pups you can't put an old

head on young shoulders. But I can't see your dog or know you so it is just guess work. Beagie