Tail Docking Laws

kiesha09

yup, bostons are born with naturally tiny lil nub tails, or no tail at all, and should never be docked even in countries that allow docking!

I do know of some breeders who (in countries were you're allowed) will dock a really twisted/corkscrew boston tail though.

yup, bostons are born with naturally tiny lil nub tails, or no tail at all, and should never be docked even in countries that allow docking!

I do know of some breeders who (in countries were you're allowed) will dock a really twisted/corkscrew boston tail though.

well not totally accurate...... they dock bostons when their tail is longer than the standard.

it is easy to tell a docked bostons tail from a natural one...the natural one is a bit pointy at the end and the docked on is blunt. this can be a problem in the usa but not from registered breeders

ets a corkscrew tail would never be docked because it is so short you would be docking into the spine which is not a good option

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

it is easy to tell a docked bostons tail from a natural one...the natural one is a bit pointy at the end and the docked on is blunt. this can be a problem in the usa but not from registered breeders

Does the same apply in all breeds if the tail has been banded?? I know that banding is more likely produce a naturally tapering tail end in some breeds, the ones I banded always did anyway.

Does the same apply in all breeds if the tail has been banded?? I know that banding is more likely produce a naturally tapering tail end in some breeds, the ones I banded always did anyway.

nope ellz you are right, banding would give a different result from docking and banding would most likely give a more tapered end. the hair grows different though i think. its hard to describe but i think if the tail has been banded or docked the hair at the tip grows differently

in the us the breeders i have talked to have reported docking happens they never talked about banding.

ets i am now curious and will ask them but for clarity no reputable breeder would dock a Boston Terrier

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Thanks for the replies everyone. Honestly, I don't know much about Bostons so didn't know about their tails being naturally short.

However the reason that I thought it was docked was because another family member who was at dinner brought it up saying she was appalled that he had been docked. This lady is a vet :D so I thought she would know what she was talking about!

Any vet I've ever taken Dusty to has commented on her "docked" tail. I point out that if it had been docked, it would probably be a neater job than nature gave her. It's about 3 vertabrae long and has a kink in it.

For the record, I've never taken any of my dogs to a vet who knew what an Australian Shepherd was. Mine were the first they'd ever seen.

Not all vets have a thorough knowledge on all the breeds and what genes they may or may not carry.

NO, but I expect if a vet has a strong opinion against any practise to do with dogs, they should at least know the total aspect of what it is they find so abhorrent.

Afterall their profession is based on the accumulation of knowledge and lifelong learning.

Not all vets have a thorough knowledge on all the breeds and what genes they may or may not carry.

NO, but I expect if a vet has a strong opinion against any practise to do with dogs, they should at least know the total aspect of what it is they find so abhorrent.

Afterall their profession is based on the accumulation of knowledge and lifelong learning.

spot on, its the assumption that gets me, the assumption that someone (a breeder) has done something illegal and the assumption that the tail has been docked. it would have been better for the vet to hold their tongue and do some research rather than try to be the expert. pretty ignorant imo

spot on, its the assumption that gets me, the assumption that someone (a breeder) has done something illegal and the assumption that the tail has been docked. it would have been better for the vet to hold their tongue and do some research rather than try to be the expert. pretty ignorant imo

I agree with you both completely.

People assuming the worst with tails, whether they be bobbed or legally docked, annoys me no end.