Welcoming Newbies

inez

To me I don't care how a pup turns out.

I do my research, I find a breeder that meets my (or my OH's) requirements. Then I research some more and then it's luck of the draw. We last bought a 10 month old Stafford. There was less guess work in it at that age but still luck that got us a very nice dog.

Could have just as easily gone south but at the end of the day there is nothing that would make me give my boy up. He is our dog and will always be even if he was ugly as sin and didn't win a thing.

I understand that others have a different opinion as they don't necessarily keep things they can't show etc but our situation allows us to so we do.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dog is clearly not viewed by them as their pet, or they would not be returning it because of comments on its show potential.

Agree completely. My first dog bought as a show and agility dog ended up with a bad demodectic mange, then her jaw went undershot after her teeth change and finally she developed chronic muscle problems (and her litter sister went lame a week after my girl did). She is still my bed warmer nearly 9 years later :o I never even considered sending her back to the breeder, not that the breeder would have taken her back :o

Glad to hear the breeder is taking the puppy back ..... lets hope if not kept it will have a lovely pet home.

Mentioned in the original post that the buyer had other judges look at the pup and all was good ... so

presumably they bought on the breeders opinion and that of the others .... now a different? group of

people have said it's no good ... if I was the breeder I too would be taking the pup back and they

certainly wouldn't be getting another from me....

The dog is clearly not viewed by them as their pet, or they would not be returning it because of comments on its show potential.

Agree completely. My first dog bought as a show and agility dog ended up with a bad demodectic mange, then her jaw went undershot after her teeth change and finally she developed chronic muscle problems (and her litter sister went lame a week after my girl did). She is still my bed warmer nearly 9 years later :o I never even considered sending her back to the breeder, not that the breeder would have taken her back :o

Me too. My "show dogs" are pets first and foremost. Their breeders are told that no matter what happens, the dogs are "keepers". :eek:

I can appeciate how breeders need to move on dogs that won't contribute to their breeding programs but I'm not a breeder so I don't have that issue.

Glad to hear the breeder is taking the puppy back ..... lets hope if not kept it will have a lovely pet home.

Mentioned in the original post that the buyer had other judges look at the pup and all was good ... so

presumably they bought on the breeders opinion and that of the others .... now a different? group of

people have said it's no good ... if I was the breeder I too would be taking the pup back and they

certainly wouldn't be getting another from me....

Or me either.

I don't get that - if the breeder hasn't seen the pup, the decision should be between the owner and the breeder, not every tom, dick and harry who has "assessed" the pup.

LOL u dont know the bitch scene yet do you?

Perhaps I read it all wrong or perhaps i just put more faith into my breeder than i do in people I have had little to nothing to do with, but to me it didn't make any sense. I don't know the bitch scene? :o I guess I don't!

It is a very sad story - do you think that maybe the owner of the pup being returned has maybe been a bit affected by the first pup and at the first sign of something going not quite right with the second they have panicked?

I think you have it pretty summed up there.

The newbie now has another so will not be pupless

The returning puppy already might have a pet home maybe arranged on the horizon, heres hoping.

Gee, I hope this one comes up to scratch. They must be feeling like "Rent-a-dog"

I feel like a bit of a cow, though. Something tripping my whiskers and I'm not sure what.

Gee, I hope this one comes up to scratch. They must be feeling like "Rent-a-dog"

I feel like a bit of a cow, though. Something tripping my whiskers and I'm not sure what.

+1

Whilst I do definitely understand that often people who wish to show and/or breed aren't in a position to keep every dog that they purchase with a view to showing/breeding, those who value their pets definitely step up a notch in my eyes.

As an example, somebody jokingly told me that my Stafford puppy Roger should be placed in a pet home. My reply was that he was already in one...MINE! :laugh:

And I've often commented to people that it's a good thing he is turning out nicely so far because he wouldn't have been going anywhere anyway, he was my baby from very early on in his life and he will always stay that way now! :laugh:

Agree completely. My first dog bought as a show and agility dog ended up with a bad demodectic mange, then her jaw went undershot after her teeth change and finally she developed chronic muscle problems (and her litter sister went lame a week after my girl did). She is still my bed warmer nearly 9 years later :eek: I never even considered sending her back to the breeder, not that the breeder would have taken her back :eek:

Me too. My "show dogs" are pets first and foremost. Their breeders are told that no matter what happens, the dogs are "keepers". :eek:

I can appeciate how breeders need to move on dogs that won't contribute to their breeding programs but I'm not a breeder so I don't have that issue.

I am exactly on the same wave length as you guys, my little man didnt quite make it as a show dog, wish he did cause he is amazing in so many ways, but he has stayed as a pet, he came into my life to help me grieve and he has done a wonderful job helping me move forward.

I was told by many to 'send him back' or 'pet home' him (condition with his breeder is that he goes back) but I couldnt, hes weasled himself into my very soft heart :eek:

Agree completely. My first dog bought as a show and agility dog ended up with a bad demodectic mange, then her jaw went undershot after her teeth change and finally she developed chronic muscle problems (and her litter sister went lame a week after my girl did). She is still my bed warmer nearly 9 years later ;) I never even considered sending her back to the breeder, not that the breeder would have taken her back :eek:

Me too. My "show dogs" are pets first and foremost. Their breeders are told that no matter what happens, the dogs are "keepers". :laugh:

I am exactly on the same wave length as you guys, my little man didnt quite make it as a show dog, wish he did cause he is amazing in so many ways, but he has stayed as a pet, he came into my life to help me grieve and he has done a wonderful job helping me move forward.

I was told by many to 'send him back' or 'pet home' him (condition with his breeder is that he goes back) but I couldnt, hes weasled himself into my very soft heart :laugh:

same thing happened to me with my boy with HD - diagnosed at 8ish months but already established himself as my true heart dog and was forever destined to stay with me.

I can understand that buyers want to purchase a show potential puppy and if it doesn't come up to scratch, that they may want to return the pup or rehome with breeder approval.

However, they'd never be getting another one off me if they were so quick to ditch it, at an age where it's really not the time to be making such decisions ( unless undershot ) and I didn't have the chance to say stick with it for another 12 months or pack it in now and get another.

Sounds like it didn't take the puppy owner long to find a replacement "show dog"? I would have been making arrangements if possible to visit breeder with said puppy and discuss what concerns I had with the breeder first. Wonder if replacement is from one of those critising the pup who is to go back??

Unfortunately some around the ring can be quite soul destroying in their comments on others dogs - some can even say it with a smile on their face while the knife goes in softly :rofl:

The newbie now has another so will not be pupless

Gee that was quick.................. you would think they would take things a bit slower this time. Out of the frying pan into the fire? :laugh:

Having just caught up with this thread I just wanted to say a huge kudos to the breeder in this situation :thumbsup:

They have sold 1st puppy obviously with health guarentee etc - replaced 1st puppy with 2nd puppy when owner gave up on the 1st puppy and signed over to the vets and now is taking back the 2nd puppy and has it a new home. :thumbsup: .

I know most of us would do this without thinking but there are alot who wouldn't.

Can't say this person would ever see another puppy from me, that door would be firmly shut. Poor puppies - I hope they both have wonderful forever homes.