Welcoming Newbies

inez

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only finding out bits at a time but seems what has been said about the breeder and the pup is extremely derogatory. I really dont want to say much. but not a nice way to talk to a newbile about their darling pup. I know perfectly well how much puppies can change, but when a whole gaggle do a pack attack at a public show its pretty distressing for the owner of the pup. So one voice saying hey some do this and go through some alarming changes, is pretty lost in the din. hence my post. just didnt know how to word it. Pretty sensative area is it not?

To my eye I have seen dogs with more serious (well to me) things becoming champions n best of breeds once they matured. But thats only words right now, as well others dont go back to their promise either. very hard to know what to say.

Maybe this happend years ago and I didnt notice, but making a newbie feel desolated doesnt seem a very nice way to introduce one to the show world

Sounds to me like it could be one of two scenarios. If there is, as you say, a gaggle doing a pack attack then either the newbie does in fact have a dud, OR they have something which is very nice and the competition are worried.

Whilst I do know that it isn't a nice way to welcome a newbie, the newbie, like everybody else needs to learn to rise above it. The cream always rises to the top.

I agree. I am only fairly new as well to the showing world. I did show about 11 years ago and then stopped to have a family and have just gotten back into it about 2 years ago. Yes having a "show potential" dog is the whole purpose of showing, but it should also be because you enjoy the sport and enjoy doing it with your dogs. It just shouldn't be about my dog is better than your dog!! There are extremely nasty people in this sport who will always think that they are better than you, but like ellz said "you just have to rise above all that" and just enjoy being there whether you win or not!!

I purchased a "show potential" cav and he only dropped down 1 testicle :love: He was cleared by a vet with 2 testicles descended and cleared to travel up to me. Somewhere along the line his testicles decided that only one wanted to come out and play so now he is desexed and I can't wait to get him in the ring for the Neuter class. I never ever blamed my breeder and just accepted that this is one of many things that can go wrong. My breeder was fantastic and gave me a few options but by the age of 6 months I had fallen so much in love with him and couldn't bring myself to part with him. Now the breeder is sending me another dog (free of charge) that is 12 months old and has 2 testicles!!! That is the difference between a good breeder and a not so good breeder.

We also have a Dogue de Bordeux which we also purchased as a "show potential" for my husband to show. We were only able to show him until he was about 5 months old and that is when all he problems started. We tried contacted the breeder on numerous occasions, but once things really got bad they didn't want to know and never responded to our emails or phone calls. Yet when contacted about purchasing another puppy they answered straight away!! Like I said that is the difference between a good breeder and not so good breeder.

Always make sure you pick a breeder with a health garantee for at least up until they are 12 months old. I do agree it would be very hard to pick a "show potential" puppy at the age of 8-9 weeks, and the breeder should inform the buyer that these certain things may happen, that way they are aware all the things that may go wrong. I think for new people this is very important, but you should also research the breed extensively before purchasing.

Well news this morning is he is going back to his breeder.

This is a pretty sad story, this pup was a replacement for his brother originally purchased, became sick 48 hours after treatment supplied by the new owners vet, apparently a flea spot on no idea of the brand but according to the packet treats up to 10 kg. sold for and put on a 500 g pup? but vets assert could not possibly have made said pup ill.

Either way it stopped eating and immune system crashed. After mega vet bills and still not eating, was given the option of signing the pup over to the vets to keep if they could save it. Was saved after I believe over two months of intensive care and survived, as you can imagine his owner was devastated and the pup being returned was given to the owner as a replacement. How unlucky could the buyer be?

Edited by inez

Always make sure you pick a breeder with a health garantee for at least up until they are 12 months old. I do agree it would be very hard to pick a "show potential" puppy at the age of 8-9 weeks, and the breeder should inform the buyer that these certain things may happen, that way they are aware all the things that may go wrong. I think for new people this is very important, but you should also research the breed extensively before purchasing.

The now unhappy soon to be ex owner at the time only wanted one to show and socalise and understood puppys can change and teeth go out even if "apparently" perfect at the time they get it, has shown before but in a different breed n ring. But expectations change no matter what is said at the time.

I used to think that people who refused to sell a puppy on main register were the reason numbers at shows were dropping, keeping it a closed shop for themselves. But this has been interesting, puts a different light on why so many breeders refuse to sell on main register, puts a differnent slant on why.

used to main register the ones that looked like they would make the grade and limit the ones with any faults, as another suggested to me, limit everything and refuse main transfer until its adult and proven to have matured ok.

End of puppy classes for em though if everyone takes the advice Ive been given.

LOL still can have puppy classes come to think of it, just restricted to the breeders who are prepared to register n show their own.

Wonder if this may be the future if enough people listen to the advice Ive received. I know this puppy's breeder has made the decision to follow the advice.

Edited by inez

The now unhappy soon to be ex owner at the time only wanted one to show and socalise and understood puppys can change and teeth go out even if perfect at the time they get it, has shown before but in a different breed n ring. But expectations change no matter what is said at the time.

So by newbie, you meant "new to the breed" not "new to showing"?

You asked how unlucky you could be, I think many of us have had similar disappointments. As others have mentioned, one way to save heartache is to be clear upfront that potential is just potential until it is realised, and that realisation of potential depends on the handler/owner as much as the breeder. Not a magic preventive cure for drama, as some will hear only what they want to hear, but still..

The now unhappy soon to be ex owner at the time only wanted one to show and socalise and understood puppys can change and teeth go out even if perfect at the time they get it, has shown before but in a different breed n ring. But expectations change no matter what is said at the time.

So by newbie, you meant "new to the breed" not "new to showing"?

You asked how unlucky you could be, I think many of us have had similar disappointments. As others have mentioned, one way to save heartache is to be clear upfront that potential is just potential until it is realised, and that realisation of potential depends on the handler/owner as much as the breeder. Not a magic preventive cure for drama, as some will hear only what they want to hear, but still..

Yes, so easy to get it wrong meaning wise, maybe there was an equal misunderstanding going on between buyer and breeder as well. who knows. In this litigation age, its mabe getting to the stage we all need to do law as part of the school curiculaum perhaps?

How unlucky could the buyer be?

That's if they have been unlucky - unless the mouth has really gone, it could still just be a baby going through the uglies, a few people very keen to point that out, and an owner with no confidence in their choice.

so I take it the breeder has assessed this pup personally and made the assessment that the pup hasn't made the grade?

No, the breeder would like the pup back regardless.

Since the pup has been assessed already by so many it does seem pointless for the beeder to give any other option. Dammed as heartless if didnt replace the first one and dammed anyway if dont take the replacement back regardless of how it turns out as an adult. The reasoning seems pretty clear to me.

Edited by inez

Well news this morning is he is going back to his breeder.

This is a pretty sad story, this pup was a replacement for his brother originally purchased, became sick 48 hours after treatment supplied by the new owners vet, apparently a flea spot on no idea of the brand but according to the packet treats up to 10 kg. sold for and put on a 500 g pup? but vets assert could not possibly have made said pup ill.

Either way it stopped eating and immune system crashed. After mega vet bills and still not eating, was given the option of signing the pup over to the vets to keep if they could save it. Was saved after I believe over two months of intensive care and survived, as you can imagine his owner was devastated and the pup being returned was given to the owner as a replacement. How unlucky could the buyer be?

It is a very sad story - do you think that maybe the owner of the pup being returned has maybe been a bit affected by the first pup and at the first sign of something going not quite right with the second they have panicked?

I know some people are really keen on the showring and doing well but I would hope that pups are pets first who may also happen to be shown and not a like a racecar that gets traded in for a better model when it's not winning. I know that's not always the case.

I hope this owner doesn't see the pup in a few years and regret the decision. I think that this move is maybe a little rash and a reaction to the gaggle of negative criticism. All dogs have their good and bad points and I think it's awful that a bunch of people came and picked on one that is still developing when they have no idea how it will turn out - I think there's some bad blood with that breeder, if the pup is really that "ugly" at the moment, I would think that a gaggle would maybe just suggest to postpone showing until the puppy has developed a little more if anything, I'm sure they're having a wonderful time now laughing about how they scared a poor newbie off and got their enemy (the breeder). :)

I have a bitch who looked like a whippet with a great big bull terrier head when I first started showing her (seriously, this is true) - now at 2, she's starting to grow into her body and while she has some faults that will prevent her from ever winning anything much, she loves the showring and I'd never deprive her of it. All the kids and some of the adults on the sideline think she's just lovely as do I, and that's good enough for me :rolleyes:

It is a very sad story - do you think that maybe the owner of the pup being returned has maybe been a bit affected by the first pup and at the first sign of something going not quite right with the second they have panicked?

I think you have it pretty summed up there.

The newbie now has another so will not be pupless

The returning puppy already might have a pet home maybe arranged on the horizon, heres hoping.

Edited by inez

I don't get that - if the breeder hasn't seen the pup, the decision should be between the owner and the breeder, not every tom, dick and harry who has "assessed" the pup.

LOL u dont know the bitch scene yet do you?

I think there's some bad blood with that breeder, if the pup is really that "ugly" at the moment, I would think that a gaggle would maybe just suggest to postpone showing until the puppy has developed a little more if anything, I'm sure they're having a wonderful time now laughing about how they scared a poor newbie off and got their enemy (the breeder). :)

Very astute.

But its pretty cruel on the victum, hearing such upsetting things said about their pet, well it seems so to me, maybe I'm too soft.

Edited by inez

Would be nice if it does do the ugly duckling thing too like so many and ends up with a title. Only time will tell.

Only time will answer that question.

Edited by inez

But its pretty cruel on the victum, hearing such upsetting things said about their pet, well it seems so to me, maybe I'm too soft

The dog is clearly not viewed by them as their pet, or they would not be returning it because of comments on its show potential.

Edited by Diva

I'm thinking there is a lot more to it than meets the eye and that there may be three sides to the story! :)

I suspect you may be right, but not privy to all that went on is a bit limiting. Any attempts at guessing I doubt the chances of being correct

Edited by inez