De-barking

bonniek

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have persistent barkers who do not respond to training/bark collars etc, and have neighbours threatening your dogs or a nuicance dog order from the noise, de-barking is often the best option.

I use barking collars on my dogs that like to bark, thankfully this has worked. But if it hadnt I would probably de-bark them as I have very nasty neighbours.

What happens during de-barking -- the vocal chord tissues are removed?

yep they cut away the vocal cords. Normally there is still a bit of scar tissue left allowing the dog to emitt a low hoarse sound. There is a lot of negative stigma attached to this procedure but I have no idea why. Its a fairly simple operation and the dog still thinks he can bark so I dont see the harm in it for chronic barkers. Its just like a dog with no balls, he doesnt miss them.

Edited by ncarter

There are a couple of ways that the procedure can be done whilst the animal is anaesthetised, either through an incision on the throat, or simply down the throat. The vocal cords are either partially crushed or cut. The animals still bark, it is toned down. Recovery is very quick and the dog is back to doing it's normal doggy things in no time.

I really don't see what the issue is with de-barking. Like any elective surgery, it should only be done in the best interest of the dog and after less invasive options have been exhausted.

Why it is considered cruel by some I have no idea.

Please, can people enlighten me on de-barking..........................as I truely do not understand why this happens!

I guess if people have exhausted all training options and it comes down to having their dogs destroyed by council, they opt for debarking in order to keep their dog and local peace.

After 2 & 1/2 years and exhausting every option I had my girl debarked, it was for consistent whining and screaming (GSP). She still whines, screams and now barks more than ever and I cant hear her. My OH was going to strangle her if something wasnt done. I recommend it everyone is alot calmer.

in my opinion, debarking is the last possible alternative to explore when all other forms of training and behaviour modification have been exhausted. If the only alternative is put to sleep, it's certainly a kinder option than that.

I have a very very anxious Samoyed in day care. She alarm barks, excitement barks, play barks, loneliness barks and attention seeking barks. The owner has spent hundreds of dollars and gone to extrordinary lengths to control the barking. After caring for the dogs for a few days, I told the owner that I wouldn't condem her if she considered debarking. The owner was so happy that someone finally understood that she almost cried.

Some people think it is cruel, and similar to ear cropping or tail docking (or even desexing!) in that you are physically modifying the dog to suit a human need. I am not among them.

The dog is on anxiety reducing medication and I am working on behaviour modification. She's still much better, but remains a problem barker, and if for some reason she couldn't come to daycare most days, she is is still a candidate for debarking.

in my opinion, debarking is the last possible alternative to explore when all other forms of training and behaviour modification have been exhausted. If the only alternative is put to sleep, it's certainly a kinder option than that.

I have a very very anxious Samoyed in day care. She alarm barks, excitement barks, play barks, loneliness barks and attention seeking barks. The owner has spent hundreds of dollars and gone to extrordinary lengths to control the barking. After caring for the dogs for a few days, I told the owner that I wouldn't condem her if she considered debarking. The owner was so happy that someone finally understood that she almost cried.

Some people think it is cruel, and similar to ear cropping or tail docking (or even desexing!) in that you are physically modifying the dog to suit a human need. I am not among them.

The dog is on anxiety reducing medication and I am working on behaviour modification. She's still much better, but remains a problem barker, and if for some reason she couldn't come to daycare most days, she is is still a candidate for debarking.

Sounds like a Samoyed I looked after for awhile, nearly drove me crazy, my poor neighbours.....

I have nothing against de-barking.

After working in kennels and vet practises, living next door too and looking after extreme barkers I can totally understand why people do it and honnestly I thank them for having the good grace to do something about it instead to driving everyone else around them crazy.

Some neighbours of mine where I used to live had their two dogs debarked. It saved the dog's lives and the sanity of those of us around them. The dogs in question barked night and day for two years, it was hell to live with. I know the owners tried alot of things to help but nothing was effective. As far as I'm concerned the debarking was a win-win-win situation. The owners got to keep their beloved pets, the neighbours actually managed some sleep, and the dogs got to keep doing what they loved - barking! Though after the operation it was like a soft raspy sound, but the dogs really didn't seem to notice the change.

I think it's certainly a good alternative to the dog or dogs being put to sleep.

I personally think it is the best thing since sliced bread ..haa I would not hurt my babies for all the money in the world but to have a dog quietened down is far better than yelling at it for the next 10 years or so and upsetting all the others who think they are in trouble also ..usually they are because one barker can set all the others off !!! Was considering moving to middle of now where just so they would not upset neighbours ..now all great

When the operation is done by an experienced & skilled vet, the dog's high frequency pitch sounds are lowered. Leaving the dog with a lower voice where the sound doesn't carry as much.

First time I met two bark-lowered dogs, I just thought they had sexy voices which were pleasant on the ear. Owners had to tell me they'd had the operation, because of noise complaints in suburbia that couldn't be solved any other way.

Human beings can have the pitch of their voices lowered, too....except it's done by speech therapy & training. Like, some women who have to speak a lot in public life....newsreaders & politicians....have such training. Margaret Thatcher's 'natural' high pitched voice which was described by one of her colleagues, as capable of killing passing sparrows....led her to have pitch-lowering training.

The Qld law on debarking (pitch-lowering) is sensible. It requires the owner to cooperate with alternative strategies first....like medication, training & management. Only when all fails & euthing faces the dog, can the operation be performed.

I once took a dog to the experienced vet here, to work thro' that process.....& he was fantastic. He had great recommendations for medication & for behaviour modification referral. Which worked....so no need to proceed to the operation. It was all done in both the letter & spirit of the sensible law.

Edited by mita

When I first thought of it Ifelt it was harsh to change something about a dog for our benefit, but so is desexing!

I think as long as it is done by an experienced professional vet, and all other avenues have been explored with no success, I don't have a problem with it.