Poor Kuma

KumaAkita

Took Kuma to the vet tonight, he's just turned 7 months old and we wanted to make sure he's growing according to plan and that everything was ok. The vet said he's doing really well, but he had some plaque build up on his teeth. I had noticed this and had been cleaning every night, but there was just no way to shift it.

The vet tried to crack it off, but he wouldn't let her near his mouth! so, the decided to sedate him. They put him in a light sedation and gave them a good clean - it only took 30 mins.

When we got home it was like he'd had a big night out, bit wobbly on his boots! Right now he's asleep on the rug...

Before i get flamed for being a bad owner... he gets dentastix regularly, bones every week, premium dog food, rare leftovers, treats for training... we're not slack. Our research tells us that there is a condition called "Akita Teeth", so this is a breed specific thing.

Poor little thing, last thing he though he was doing tonight was getting knocked out!

Edited by KumaAkita

You've got onto it early and hopefully your diligence will pay off for Kuma.

I find it interesting actually, because I've recently rescued a little dog from Renbury pound who, judging by her teeth, could be ancient. Yet she is lively, happy and she came through the vet examination with flying colours and if it weren't for her dreadful teeth, you'd think she was maybe only middle aged.

For the record, those Dentastix are rubbish. Bones are far far better :cry: And for my boys the thing I've found absolutely best for cleaning their teeth is a massive chunk of meat with no bone, like a roast (raw though), as sinking their teeth into the meat and tearing bits off really seems to do the job! They'd get one of them each a fortnight.

Thanks everyone... he was zonked out all night, but then would get playful. But like a drunk... funny and sad :mad

Vet told us about lamb shanks too, so we'll get onto that. He seems to be eating more already so I think he may have been in pain as well.

anyway... off to brush his teeth... :laugh:

Thanks everyone... he was zonked out all night, but then would get playful. But like a drunk... funny and sad :mad

Vet told us about lamb shanks too, so we'll get onto that. He seems to be eating more already so I think he may have been in pain as well.

anyway... off to brush his teeth... :laugh:

Years ago I worked with a guy who had an old Silky Terrier who had really good teeth and he told me the vet had said it was because he'd been fed on lamb necks all his life.

Glad everything is ok with the beautiful kuma! We just bought a toothbrush and toothpaste for Elbie yesterday. Apparently even though his adult teeth haven't come through yet, we're supposed to practise brushing his teeth so he can get used to it ... My OH was the one sticking his vanilla-toothpaste covered finger in Elbie's mouth, not me :mad

Love the name Kuma, was one of the final 3 choices for my dog.

(Japanese for bear for those of you who don't know).

aawww thanks. We thought that since we got a Japanese dog, he needed a Japanese name. "steve" didn't really fit him!! :mad

Good to hear that Kuma is okay.

As for Japanese names, although he wasn't an Akita, Kisho's (a rescue dog I have just rehomed) name is Japanese also. It is from a book called “Dog Man: An Uncommon Life on a Faraway Mountain” by Martha Sherrill. The book is the story of Morie (Mor-ee-ay) Sawataishi and his obsessive devotion and dedication to bringing the Akita back from virtual extinction after the World War II.

A man who know that Morie was looking for excellent specimens of the breed had brought a puppy, Three Good Lucks, to Morie and Morie had taken the dog who turned out to be truly magnificent in both physical beauty and nature.

Extract from the book:

Morie wanted to find a simpler way to define and express the essential thing about Three Good Lucks that made him stand apart, aside from physical beauty and strength – things that were easy to spot. There had to be one concept that could cover all the ground, one expression that could be used to define an ideal, if only in Morie’s mind. Eventually he came up with something. He decided that Three Good Lucks had kisho.

[in the book the two characters that make up the meaning are printed here.]

Ki means spirit. Sho means personality or disposition. Together, as Morie interprets the characters, these two ideas mean: vitality, good energy, good instincts, intelligence, and alertness. “It’s a personality trait, a kind of strength and life force,” Morie says. “These inner qualities are less easy to pinpoint, but you can see them if you look carefully in a dog’s eyes – and study a dog’s reactions to the world.”

The book is really worth reading, totally fascinating.

Edited by Mother Moocher

up the bones to daily and throw the dentastix in the bin. Lamb flaps, necks, spine, tail, chicken maryland etc are better for the dogs teeth. Despite the fact the dog may have uneven enamel that attracts plaque, if its a problem that requires sedation at 7 months of age to clean then you need to restructure the diet to compensate. A dog cannot go through life being sedated every 6 months.

up the bones to daily and throw the dentastix in the bin. Lamb flaps, necks, spine, tail, chicken maryland etc are better for the dogs teeth. Despite the fact the dog may have uneven enamel that attracts plaque, if its a problem that requires sedation at 7 months of age to clean then you need to restructure the diet to compensate. A dog cannot go through life being sedated every 6 months.

Yep - this is our plan. That and daily brushing as advised by the vet. OH checked out a few butchers today (planning for a bbq at work, but added some family benefit there too!) and found a few good suppliers in our area. We'll stock up this weekend.

Certainly don't want to be sedating him... not good for him, not good for my wallet!