Feedback Welcome

Eza

Hi all

Ive decided to enter into a photo comp at the local Show.

There are a few photos I took last night. Id love some feedback on the editing.

All these were taken last night (20 June 2010) between 8:00pm and 9:30pm.

WhiteheadSepia1of1.jpg

WhyallaBW1of1.jpg

Whyalla1of1.jpg

OneSteel31of1.jpg

OneSteel21of1.jpg

OneSteel11of1.jpg

HMAS21of1.jpg

HMAS11of1.jpg

Edited by Eza

I've got no idea how judges pick what they like.

This is what I think about them. I've got zero training in photography, but a little bit in graphic design and visual art.

I'd guess they'd pick something that stands out from the rest, so if nobody does dutch tilt - it would stand out. Whether they like it - I have no idea. It makes me feel vaguely sea sick.

Some of the pictures have a fifty fifty split between the interesting bits (focus) and the flat boring bits, I'd reduce that to 1/3 boring bit 2/3 interesting bits approximately. But that's a general visual rule eg to have picture divided into nine equal boxes and the horizon on the bottom third line or top third and the vertical point of interest on the left or right line of third... but it's a rule and doing things a little bit differently will stand out.

I get a little bit annoyed when I can't figure out what is going on in a picture. Thats a personal thing but the tree picture irritates me because I can't *see* anything / enough. It is a visual thing - I ought to be able to see. Judges might not agree.

I like the OneSteel31of1.jpg a lot. I like the balance of light and dark. I like the natural diagonal lines with the horizontal ones though is it just me, are the horizontal slightly skew? Or is the background sloping (eg a hill, lights higher on the right)

I also like the Whyalla ship one HMAS21of1.jpg

I like the shadow of the anchor and the balance of light and dark. I think I'd like it slightly better if the pointy bit of the bow was brighter because that would give it more focus, and at the moment the focus isn't very clear or attractive, ie maybe the white vertical stripe before the W? And the stuff in the bottom left corner is distracting. I dunno if I'd make it lighter or more focussed or crop it out. The diagonal is good but it doesn't feel like it belongs. There's also a white spot in the bottom right corner. Which looks like a mistake but it could be a street light or something.

PS one steel might buy one of those for their Annual Report if you show them. Annual and even interim reports and websites are always decorated with pretty photos of what they do.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I know nothing about photography. :grouphug:

I like the black and white one the best.

I agree with Mrs Rusty Bucket about the tree one - can't quite see it enough for me (sort of like when the music is not quite loud enough for you to hear the words ;) )

I'd guess they'd pick something that stands out from the rest, so if nobody does dutch tilt - it would stand out. Whether they like it - I have no idea. It makes me feel vaguely sea sick.

If the judges are photographers - dutch tilt is a huge NO

If the judges aren't photographers - then you may get away with it. Some people say, "wow - interesting" others will say, "I don't get why it's tilted".

Play safe - no tilt.

No judge- useless at technicalities...

I LOVE that first one !! The rest do nothing for me .. altho they may be technically wonderful ..and they all have interesting shapes/lighting. :laugh:

The first one has the branch beautifully highlighted/lit..there is just enough detail in the buildings to get me interested...and I love the light patterns :laugh:

Edited by persephone

Thank you for all the feedback.

I struggled when editing HMAS2, I wasnt sure what points I should focus on.

I wont submit the tilted photo.

Im thinking of going with the Black and White and the series of 3 for OneSteel.

Hee, its an interesting reaction actually. I took a picture of the top of the tree as the light look fantastic in all the branches but it didnt come out as well on the camera.

I may have a better chance with the tree on dusk and not so late at night. Ill have to give it a go.