I Fell In Love With A Greyhound Yesterday

SeeGee

Thanks, I like to do long walks which sometimes take the whole day and I would usually walk my dog for at least 2 hrs a day. So, good to know they can manage this as I have heard from some that they are lazy! I'm thinking they might be a good dog for my parents who are retired/ do part time work. My parents like to do long walks as well but my dad prefers the dog be on leash (where as mum justs lets the dog do whatever :cheer:). We are looking after a guide dog puppy at the moment and they have decided that they would like to get an older dog when she leaves us.

The question re garden size was just because I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable letting them off lead at an unfenced park and especially if there were SWFs there. Most of the parks in my area are not fenced and we don't have a big yard.

You should never ever let them offlead in an unfenced area, nor walk them offlead. Despite their couch potato status, they are sight hounds, can take off in persuit of a piece of paper (across the road), and generally have no road sense.

You can train a greyhound to have excellent recall (I have) but that has taken a few years!

You are best to suss out a local fully fenced cricket oval or local dog club that has a fenced area.

As I said in my earlier post, exercise levels are dependent on the dog. We have a handsome young fellow in foster care at the moment who has 2 x 2 hour walks most days and he loves it. We have others in care who couldn't care less if they never left the house (so long as they to go on trips in the car). You need to remember though, that we are now in winter, and once the warmer weather comes, their excercise would need to be a lot less due to the heat.

Edited by anniek

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm another Grey lover, one day owner :cheer:

My first grey experiance was with a beautiful ex racer called Sally who borded at the kennels I was working at. Such a darling older girl, she would rest her head on my leg and close her eyes for pats.

I was amazed just how big they actually are and was totally sucked in by their gentle nature.

Sally was later joined by a younger girl who was just as beautiful.

Even my OH who isn't a sighthound person loves the greys.

We would love to get a GAP grey (as well as an Afghan and a Borzoi) one day but the fencing needs a serious overhaul first.

Here in Victoria it is illegal to let greyhounds off leash in ANY public place. If you want to legally and, more importantly, safely allow your greyhound off lead, just go to one of the slipping tracks :) .

Thanks, I like to do long walks which sometimes take the whole day and I would usually walk my dog for at least 2 hrs a day. So, good to know they can manage this as I have heard from some that they are lazy! I'm thinking they might be a good dog for my parents who are retired/ do part time work. My parents like to do long walks as well but my dad prefers the dog be on leash (where as mum justs lets the dog do whatever :D). We are looking after a guide dog puppy at the moment and they have decided that they would like to get an older dog when she leaves us.

The question re garden size was just because I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable letting them off lead at an unfenced park and especially if there were SWFs there. Most of the parks in my area are not fenced and we don't have a big yard.

You should never ever let them offlead in an unfenced area, nor walk them offlead. Despite their couch potato status, they are sight hounds, can take off in persuit of a piece of paper (across the road), and generally have no road sense.

You can train a greyhound to have excellent recall (I have) but that has taken a few years!

You are best to suss out a local fully fenced cricket oval or local dog club that has a fenced area.

As I said in my earlier post, exercise levels are dependent on the dog. We have a handsome young fellow in foster care at the moment who has 2 x 2 hour walks most days and he loves it. We have others in care who couldn't care less if they never left the house (so long as they to go on trips in the car). You need to remember though, that we are now in winter, and once the warmer weather comes, their excercise would need to be a lot less due to the heat.

Edited by gapvic

Do you need to have a big garden to have a grey?

Also, if you're fairly active and like long walks (on lead obviously) are they suitable?

It all depends on the individual dog. Some are happy to lie around all day with a quick 15 minute walk. Some are happy to walk for an hour twice a day.

I have kept my two fit (aged 7 and 9) and they have a free gallop most mornings (if they want it, or they may choose to just sniff and pee), plus a 30-45 minute walk in the afternoon - and they never say no if hubby wants to take them out again around 9pm.

Like any dog, the size of the yard doesn't matter, so long as they get their walks.

Thanks, I like to do long walks which sometimes take the whole day and I would usually walk my dog for at least 2 hrs a day. So, good to know they can manage this as I have heard from some that they are lazy! I'm thinking they might be a good dog for my parents who are retired/ do part time work. My parents like to do long walks as well but my dad prefers the dog be on leash (where as mum justs lets the dog do whatever :)). We are looking after a guide dog puppy at the moment and they have decided that they would like to get an older dog when she leaves us.

Hi aussielover,

I think you'll find that you are not allowed to let greys off-lead anywhere outside their property (unless, perhaps, they are competing in an obedience trial?? ETA or, of course, racing :D ), at least in NSW. We live on 2 acres, but I'm pretty sure that Colour wouldn't care if we were in an apartment as long as she could find enough grass to pee on. I reckon a daily walk or two would keep most greys happy - with an occasional playdate somewhere where they can do a couple of laps if they wish. ;)

Edited by The Ark

Here in Victoria it is illegal to let greyhounds off leash in ANY public place. If you want to legally and, more importantly, safely allow your greyhound off lead, just go to one of the slipping tracks :) .
Thanks, I like to do long walks which sometimes take the whole day and I would usually walk my dog for at least 2 hrs a day. So, good to know they can manage this as I have heard from some that they are lazy! I'm thinking they might be a good dog for my parents who are retired/ do part time work. My parents like to do long walks as well but my dad prefers the dog be on leash (where as mum justs lets the dog do whatever :D). We are looking after a guide dog puppy at the moment and they have decided that they would like to get an older dog when she leaves us.

So long as "the owner is authorised to use for that purpose" of couse!

the only thing stopping me is space - and coucil regs lol. My time will come :D

Same here.

Re Greys as guard dogs. Our neighbour, Laurie, who owns greys himself, had to call at the home of an elderly lady. When she opened the door, there beside her, was a magnificent big greyhound. Apparently a relative is connected with greyhound racing... & arranged for a failed racer with a lovely nature to become her pet. No worries about her tripping over a small dog & she could pat him from her chair or her bed. She could also use the big calm boy as something to lean on. Best of all, his size immediately intimidated people who might not have good intentions....but who knew nothing about greys.

Laurie said he himself who owns greys, took a step backward when the door opened. Because the last thing he expected was a large dog to appear beside the elderly lady.

Altogether, it was a match made in heaven, for both of them. The lady's family attended to bathing or vet trips and taking the boy for exercise

I think the GAP programme would be a good way to go as the dogs are fully grown, temp tested and matched. What a good way to get a dog that suits the need and the potential owner? Even if the one that would suit us would not be a good example of the ideal greyhound. :)