I Need Help

Hi,

My vet has advised me to take all Chicken out of my boys diet (skin issues). I was feeding him only on a raw diet. But I now have him on a EP Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon in the moring and I wanted to still give him raw in the evening, but the current Canine Country Combo white pre mix has chix in it. I would really like to feed my boy something other than just kibble. I don't really like the idea of canned foods. But I'm not sure about raw now either. (long story but I'm worried about my children with food poisening etc) and I wouldn't know where to start with making my own suitable for him.

So, what are my options? Anyone have any ideas. I was thinking maybe just the plain kibble in the morning, and kibble with sardines or eggs in the evening. But that also gets me thinking, eggs come from chickens so would that be o.k?

As you can probably see, I need so help :laugh:

Oh I also have about 8kg of the combo white in my freezer if anyone is interested in buying it off me :idea: Not sure if I'm allowed to say that, sorry if I can't.

Hi,

My vet has advised me to take all Chicken out of my boys diet (skin issues). I was feeding him only on a raw diet. But I now have him on a EP Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon in the moring and I wanted to still give him raw in the evening, but the current Canine Country Combo white pre mix has chix in it. I would really like to feed my boy something other than just kibble. I don't really like the idea of canned foods. But I'm not sure about raw now either. (long story but I'm worried about my children with food poisening etc) and I wouldn't know where to start with making my own suitable for him.

So, what are my options? Anyone have any ideas. I was thinking maybe just the plain kibble in the morning, and kibble with sardines or eggs in the evening. But that also gets me thinking, eggs come from chickens so would that be o.k?

Oh I also have about 8kg of the combo white in my freezer if anyone is interested in buying it off me :idea: Not sure if I'm allowed to say that, sorry if I can't.

My dog also has skin issues, I tried the EP Anchovy and Sardines etc, bottom line was that it made little difference, I am now seeing a dermatologist and we are now on roo and sweet potato elimination diet for 6 weeks, at the end of that I will then add each meat back in and see if he scratches and gets raw paws again. Best advice I can give you is see a dermatologist because they have the latest research and can guide you through a proper elimination diet.

Canine Country has other flavours with no chook...I often use the beef (red packaging) and the roo (blue). :idea:

That's interesting from their website, I can't see a roo one, and to be honest I didn't even look at the beef one :laugh: I emailed them when I first started to feed raw asking about which would best for a dry, itchy skin dog, and they said their combo white, turkey or duck one, as red meat can stir up skin allergies. Have you heard this? Maybe this could be option. I'll ask my vet first of course though. :) Thanks heaps

Edited by meluchja

Hi,

My dog also has skin issues, I tried the EP Anchovy and Sardines etc, bottom line was that it made little difference, I am now seeing a dermatologist and we are now on roo and sweet potato elimination diet for 6 weeks, at the end of that I will then add each meat back in and see if he scratches and gets raw paws again. Best advice I can give you is see a dermatologist because they have the latest research and can guide you through a proper elimination diet.

Oh I hope you find the answer to your dogs itching condition. I'm not sure my dog has a reaction as bad as that, he just has bad dandraff, scratching etc. Maybe that's why my vet thinks it could be the chicken, not sure :)

I hope your boy's skin improves :laugh:

I feed my dogs mince from coles (it's $6/kilo up here at the moment), you can get lamb flaps or packs of lamb offcuts from supermarkets (I boil them up for hours until the meat just falls off the bones - the dogs love it), and I give them a can of tuna in spring water every now and then (which they seem to like)......I usually mix these up with a little rice and whatever veges I have whizzed up.

I'm sure the others have some other great suggestions for you - I also include chicken necks, frames and brisket bones in my dogs diet, also turkey necks are good but I'm not sure if that's a bit too close to chicken for your boy :idea:

If the vet has advised to take out the chicken, just substitute the amount with beef, roo, turkey, fish or lamb.

I don't make the barf myself, it's a pre made one. It's got great ingredients and I can get it for 3.80 a kg. So not sure that would work.

I emailed them last night, about maybe being able to swap what I have left of the combo white over for the roo, beef or boar one. So fingers crossed I can maybe try that. If not looks like it might be a combo of canned, sardines and veal, lamb or roo mince.

Edited by meluchja

Hi,

Oh I also have about 8kg of the combo white in my freezer if anyone is interested in buying it off me :laugh: Not sure if I'm allowed to say that, sorry if I can't.

Oh I hope you find the answer to your dogs itching condition. I'm not sure my dog has a reaction as bad as that, he just has bad dandraff, scratching etc. Maybe that's why my vet thinks it could be the chicken, not sure :laugh:

Yip my dog had dandruff too, I now give him 5 fish oil caps a day, helps heaps, no more dandruff now. Beef and chicken are the most common meats a dog can react to, I would cut out both for now and see if it helps :laugh:

How old is your dog?

He is only 4 months old. I have decided to skip the premade raw. And go with my own kangaroo mice, with lamb and lamb heart combo, (raw or cooked). Feed with the HS Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon. I also have a OMEGA 3, 6, 9 oil that I might add to it, trial this for 6 weeks and see what result we get.

Thanks you all for your input.

Mas, I hope your beautiful dog sees some improvement soon.

Hi,

As you can probably see, I need so help :rofl:

Oh I also have about 8kg of the combo white in my freezer if anyone is interested in buying it off me :D Not sure if I'm allowed to say that, sorry if I can't.

Oh I hope you find the answer to your dogs itching condition. I'm not sure my dog has a reaction as bad as that, he just has bad dandraff, scratching etc. Maybe that's why my vet thinks it could be the chicken, not sure :o

Yip my dog had dandruff too, I now give him 5 fish oil caps a day, helps heaps, no more dandruff now. Beef and chicken are the most common meats a dog can react to, I would cut out both for now and see if it helps :rofl:

How old is your dog?

Thanks. Yes he does scratch some, not as bad as he used to though before I put him onto Raw. His skin was really dry, hopefully it just continues to get better and better, well fingers crossed anyway.

Best of luck, 4 months is very young to be having skin problems, my boys had no signs of allergies at that age. Does he scratch a lot? Is he on an antihistamine?