Building Tugging

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem with my boy.....not that interested in a tug.....I tried what Cosmolo has suggested and it worked great....I tied a plush squeaky squirrel with a very fluffy tail onto the end of a soft tug....

I found Finn did not like the feel of certain tugs so we went for the fleecy tug...to this day he still enjoys playing tug o war and we use it as part of daily training

Yep, and putting tugs on a string as well :D I really think it has a lot to do with me - I'm probably not that exciting to play with when self conscious ;) and then I get embarrassed that he won't tug :)

I really think it has a lot to do with me - I'm probably not that exciting to play with when self conscious :) and then I get embarrassed that he won't tug :D

I'm exactly the same as you Kavik! ;)

Need to figure that out too.

Also won't tug at home if there is food - might try bedazzled's idea.

Why the obsession with tugging?

The tug is suppose top be a reward or something that the dog loves. Not all dogs have the natural drives to play tug. Some dogs just don't love to tug.

My dog was tug obsessed at 8 weeks old.

If your dog is not mad on tugging maybe you need to find some other reward that the dog will work for. If it is going to be used as a reward in training is needs to have "big value for the dog", if the dog doesn't go nuts for a tug it probably wont have the desired result.

He actually does really enjoy tugging, when we are both comfortable and happy about it :) It is great to watch his excitement and keenness for it, and he is quick too and will get it sometimes when I try to take it if I am not quick enough. At the moment he works the best when out for a thrown squeaky toy (Ruffians)

Tugging would be really useful as a reward because:

1) I could reward close work with a toy/game instead of only food (more options)

2) I could reward with a toy/game right away after a run in agility. At the moment, he gets a treat and then we go off and find a spot where I can throw his toy.

3) I could make use of ADAAs not for competition runs where you have standard course time and you can reward in the ring. You can only reward with a tug (no food in the ring and the toy can't leave your hand).

4) as I am reasonably sure it is a confidence/stress/self conscious issue on both our parts rather than a drive issue (I am confident he has plenty of prey drive) if I could get him tugging it would show that I am feeling more confident and comfortable and that our relationship/trust is better

So it's a nerve thing, not a drive thing, do you think, Kavik? In that he's got the prey drive, but just isn't comfortable enough to express it when he's nervous about being in a new situation?

Have you tried drive building with him (e.g. deprive him of tug except for short sessions a few times a day, & when he's really crazy for it, start to only do those sessions outside in strange locations until he's going into drive working comfortably in strange locations)?

Or do you really think you're just not very good at tugging, & your nervousness rubs off on him? I am lucky in that my current girl is normally keen to tug no matter my mood, but with some dogs I have seen, they do seem quite sensitive to whether their handler is also having fun. More "play" than "prey", perhaps. Tried running away from your dog & using your best crazy squeaky voice? :)

With Ed it was definately a nerve thing not a drive thing, as he has very high drive now that his confidence has been built up, so I know exactly how you feel

I also found somewhere public that was deserted (to get out of the back yard), so I didnt feel self consious, and that really helped too

ETA we also used one of steves french linen tugs and he liked that way better than any rope, or nylon tug, much easier to bite on, but I like the rag (if thats what it is) that staranais uses too

Edited by shoemonster

I'm going to try shaping Banjo to tug when I have food to. Banjo does love to tug but not always if I have food on me and at agility training I had this new chicken and ham polony for treats and he refused to tug :cry: .

ETA we also used one of steves french linen tugs and he liked that way better than any rope, or nylon tug, much easier to bite on, but I like the rag (if thats what it is) that staranais uses too

It's just a piece of leather hide, which I roll up for her to bite - I was too cheap to get a leather tug. :cry:

So it's a nerve thing, not a drive thing, do you think, Kavik? In that he's got the prey drive, but just isn't comfortable enough to express it when he's nervous about being in a new situation?

Have you tried drive building with him (e.g. deprive him of tug except for short sessions a few times a day, & when he's really crazy for it, start to only do those sessions outside in strange locations until he's going into drive working comfortably in strange locations)?

Or do you really think you're just not very good at tugging, & your nervousness rubs off on him? I am lucky in that my current girl is normally keen to tug no matter my mood, but with some dogs I have seen, they do seem quite sensitive to whether their handler is also having fun. More "play" than "prey", perhaps. Tried running away from your dog & using your best crazy squeaky voice? :rofl:

I think it is a combination of nerve thing (not comfortable enough to express it in new location) and that I'm not good at tugging and my nervousness rubs off on him.

I was just playing with Shine & was reminded of something that can make tugging more fun for dogs.

Tugging with something that comes apart. Things that work are old stuffed toys, dogs seem to love it when they actually rip the head or a leg off. Also old towels can be fun too, sicne they rip easily. I find both these are good to use with handlers who are a little too controlling when they tug as the very act of ripping allows the dog to experience some control & win easily, despite what the handler is doing.

Haha, Vickie, I'm reminded of the time Erik managed to pull a leg off his most wildly favourite toy while playing tug. He was so excited he shook the blazes out of that leg and when I put it up on a shelf he spent the next 30 minutes sitting underneath it looking up at it and barking. I've been thinking of sewing it on with a few weak stitches so he can get it off again. Or maybe making a velcro or press stud attachment. In reality I couldn't sew to save my life, so I doubt it will happen. :love:

Had good tugging sessions today. This morning he was keen and tugged in front yard and near front gate. This afternoon, tugged in backyard. Something in the backyard is distracting the dogs and making them bark (not sure what) - Kaos got distracted from tug, but after a few minutes I was able to get him tugging again! Most of the time, once I lose his attention, I can't get him tugging again. So this was a good step :love: I used a short tug on a string this afternoon and whizzed it around.

Edited by Kavik