Clicker Training To Stop Barking

I have a 8 month old German Shepherd, Reno. Ive been clicker training him with positive reinforcement. I was wondering if anyone can help me to stop Reno from barking like crazy using a clicker/positive reinforcement?

Reno barks at everything. He sleeps in a crate at night inside, as soon as i let him out in the morning, he barks like crazy for the next hour. If he hears someone inside talking, he barks. If he hears the toilet flush, tap run, the door close, it will set him off in a barking frenzy. Im sure my neighbors are going to kill me soon. He barks from sunrise to sunset, so I need HELP!!!!

Ive tried ignoring him, telling him to be quiet (which works for 15 seconds). I never try to give him any attention when he barks.

So how do I clicker/+ reinforcement train him to stop barking? Do I click from inside enough so he can hear it and throw food out the window when he does stop? If I go outside to praise him, he will only associate barking with me going outside.

Is it just for the first hour?

Do you do any exercise with him during that time or in the morning before you head off to work?

Does he eat 2 meals a day or just one?

The reason I ask is that changing the whole routine in the morning to something that stimulates his brain in other ways may be easier than trying to mark quiet from indoors (although it can easily be done). But maybe he needs 'more' in the mornings.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

It's a hard one!

I can only say what I've found to work with my boy, who also barks a lot. My neighbours hate barking dogs, and I was getting royally sick of getting up every 5 minutes to tell him to shut up or bring him inside.

I keep his bed next to my computer and some treats on my desk. When he would bark I would call him, he'd come inside and I'd tell him to lie on the bed and reward him. No clickers, as they make him too excited and I was trying to reward for calm behaviour. I would say nothing and just pop him lots of treats while I was working. Over time, he started to associate having a little bark with going to lie down and getting treats. He would outside to bark, bark for about ten seconds, then come inside on his own, lie down on his bed and waits for his treats. I started I think 2 or 3 weeks ago. I no longer have to call him back inside. He now barks for about 5 seconds and comes in on his own. Sometimes he doesn't settle and just keeps going out for a bark, then coming back in to lie down for a bit. I think that this happens when he is all active and has excess energy. Often giving him a massage and increasing the reward rate for a bit helps him to settle. Or I close the door and keep him inside for a while and he'll settle. At the moment, he gets about 3 treats when he comes to lie down and usually he goes to sleep not long after. It sure is making life at home more pleasant, and it gives him something positive to do when he gets worked up. It surprised me how little time it took. He was dramatically better within 3 days.

I find that if I can figure out what I want him to do rather than what I don't want him to do, I'm more than halfway there. I thought, I don't want him to bark all the time, but what would I like him to be doing instead? I'd like him to be chilling in his bed in the study with me. So that's what I taught him to do. He still barks and I think he always will, but I rarely have to get up to do something about it, now. It doesn't impact on my study, which it really was before! I have very little tolerance for nuisance barking, so if it goes for a couple of minutes I get cross. Don't get cross with him much anymore. :laugh:

it's self rewarding, he sounds bored as anything as well coupled with a lower nerve to hold in his barking. Personally, get him a bark collar for when he's out there alone and do some more brain work with him in between time. A tired dog is a quiet dog.

Ive tried ignoring him, telling him to be quiet (which works for 15 seconds). I never try to give him any attention when he barks.

There is no consequence for his actions so why stop? Dogs also do not know what quiet means. Well if you taught him quiet he probably cannot extend the association with permanent barking too.

telling him to be quiet (which works for 15 seconds). I never try to give him any attention when he barks.

:laugh: the bolded bit is attention he earns from barking.

What training do you do with him each day, and how long is he walked (and how often?)

What toys does he have ...are they ones which provide a lot of mental stimulation?

Was he brought up around lots of different noises?

What does he do when he's inside with you? Is he calm, or noisy inside as well?

Sometimes Erik gets hyper-vigilant when he's upset by something. He would get unsettled by a strange noise, then for hours afterwards he would jump up to bark at any noise he heard. The more he barked, the more sensitive he became. Giving him something to do when he feels this way that he can be rewarded for helped a lot. I'm amazed at the progress we've made in such a short time. Since I started the bark-then-bed routine, his hyper-vigilant bouts are all gone. He hates the cleaners coming and vacuuming his house, but now he can lie on his bed while they are here. Used to be he would bark the whole time and follow them around, but now he only barks when the guy with the vacuum cleaner comes close to the study. Used to be the cleaners visiting would mean he'd spend the rest of the day barking at anything at all. Now he settles as soon as they are gone. Huge progress. Wish I'd started sooner.

I think you've got to stop these barking bouts before they take off and become self-perpetuating. I wouldn't let Erik bark for more than a couple of minutes without interrupting him. If he hasn't stopped in 2 minutes chances are it's just going to get worse.

Is it just for the first hour?

Do you do any exercise with him during that time or in the morning before you head off to work?

Does he eat 2 meals a day or just one?

Nah he can bark anytime of day. Since I work a mixture of early shifts, getting up any earlier to exercise him will be hard. He acts the same in the morning as the afternoon, so it wont solve the complete problem.

I feed him twice daily, morning and night.

It's a hard one!

I can only say what I've found to work with my boy, who also barks a lot. My neighbours hate barking dogs, and I was getting royally sick of getting up every 5 minutes to tell him to shut up or bring him inside.

I keep his bed next to my computer and some treats on my desk. When he would bark I would call him, he'd come inside and I'd tell him to lie on the bed and reward him. No clickers, as they make him too excited and I was trying to reward for calm behaviour. I would say nothing and just pop him lots of treats while I was working. Over time, he started to associate having a little bark with going to lie down and getting treats. He would outside to bark, bark for about ten seconds, then come inside on his own, lie down on his bed and waits for his treats. I started I think 2 or 3 weeks ago. I no longer have to call him back inside. He now barks for about 5 seconds and comes in on his own. Sometimes he doesn't settle and just keeps going out for a bark, then coming back in to lie down for a bit. I think that this happens when he is all active and has excess energy. Often giving him a massage and increasing the reward rate for a bit helps him to settle. Or I close the door and keep him inside for a while and he'll settle. At the moment, he gets about 3 treats when he comes to lie down and usually he goes to sleep not long after. It sure is making life at home more pleasant, and it gives him something positive to do when he gets worked up. It surprised me how little time it took. He was dramatically better within 3 days.

I find that if I can figure out what I want him to do rather than what I don't want him to do, I'm more than halfway there. I thought, I don't want him to bark all the time, but what would I like him to be doing instead? I'd like him to be chilling in his bed in the study with me. So that's what I taught him to do. He still barks and I think he always will, but I rarely have to get up to do something about it, now. It doesn't impact on my study, which it really was before! I have very little tolerance for nuisance barking, so if it goes for a couple of minutes I get cross. Don't get cross with him much anymore. :laugh:

I would love to have him inside all the time, BUT, he is a 7 month old high drive German Shepherd that seems to never relax. He chases the cat, jumps on the tables, knocks over everything and eats food out of the bin. So when he does come in, I devote 100% of my time to him or at least constantly watch him. The only down time inside seems to be at night in his crate.

telling him to be quiet (which works for 15 seconds). I never try to give him any attention when he barks.

:rofl: the bolded bit is attention he earns from barking.

What training do you do with him each day, and how long is he walked (and how often?)

What toys does he have ...are they ones which provide a lot of mental stimulation?

Was he brought up around lots of different noises?

What does he do when he's inside with you? Is he calm, or noisy inside as well?

I train twice weekly at either the German Shepherd Club and the All breeds training classes. I clicker train and play with him on "off" days. I take him to the off leash park 4 days a week for around an hour. While there we train and play. I also track train with him around once or twice a fortnight.

As far as stimulation, he has Kongs, squeaky toys, daily bones (which help) and hidden treats.

I try to take him everywhere I go. He isnt bothered by loud noises e.g fireworks, storms or loud sudden noises. He reacts to people and my cat. So if he hears me inside or the cat meow, he will bark like crazy!

There is quite a bit on the subject in Karen Pryor's book reaching the animal mind, might be worth getting a copy

Thanks, I will try to get a copy.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted so far. Im going to try to take your suggestions on board and see what works. Ill keep you guys posted on how we go.

Sounds like the perfect situation for a bark collar or better still a remote trainer.

There is nothing worse than a dog that just barks for the heck of it and these kind of collars can get the message across very quickly and humanely.

Much better than waiting until your neighbours patience wears thin!! :laugh:

It's great to read that you take him places :laugh:

Why I ask about the walk... is that he seems to only ever do stuff which is exciting and energetic.

Having him on a bed calmly indoors, or going for long borning walks may help him to just relax, and to not be so responsive.

he is doing a lot of stuff for a pup.. I imagine he is 'switched on' pretty well all the time.

he is , I will suggest so hyper, because that is the lifestyle you give him. he CAN be calm and settle- he does it every night :D Why? because he is inside, he has boundaries,and he is not stimulated.

So - he CAN do it- you need to show him how.

You obviously don't have hiim on leash when inside ;)

Bring him in ON leash. attach teh leash to your belt, or loop another leash around your waist to do so. that way- it is YOUR responsibilty to keep his 4 feet on teh ground. His teenage brain, full of excitement and stuff, needs calm leadership.

wander around, doing what you normally do.. he will be only 2 feet away from you at any time... so can not jump/chase, whatever. be CALM .. no high voice/energetic praise...and not much conversation.

If you are in the kitchen or whatever- maybe give him a bone ,in his crate.. in the lounge/kitchen.

This way he learns that being indoors = be still and calm... which is something missing in his life generally.

It certainly won't happen quickly... and it will be hard work,

A professional can be of great assistance to you .. and will help get you over this rough patch ;)

I would love to have him inside all the time, BUT, he is a 7 month old high drive German Shepherd that seems to never relax. He chases the cat, jumps on the tables, knocks over everything and eats food out of the bin. So when he does come in, I devote 100% of my time to him or at least constantly watch him. The only down time inside seems to be at night in his crate.

I hear you. If Erik was as big as a GSD I'm pretty sure that's what we would have been facing! He's too small to counter surf or attack the bin, but he has tried jumping on the coffee table, jumping on us when we are eating, pulling dvds off the shelves and chewing them up, pulling books off shelves and chewing them, opening cupboard doors in the kitchen, pulling out plastic containers and chewing them up, busting into the spare bedroom where we were keeping baby magpies for WIRES for a short period, digging into visitor's bags to pull out slippers and food, and busting into my study to get to slippers, my bag, a toy, or anything else in there he feels he wants. He needs a lot of structure indoors. :laugh: Structure and management. Closed doors, suitcases across doors that don't latch, baby gates across openings that don't have doors, folding chairs resting precariously against cupboard doors he can open so they fall down if he opens them, and a general framework for how he should behave around things he wants. Jumping never gets him anything, but lying down quietly gets him most anything he wants. If we can't prevent him from doing something self-rewarding (example, chasing the cat or in our case the pet rabbit) then we put up barriers so he can't. After a while he stops trying. It just has to be a good barrier, because if he conquers a barrier we're looking at a budding obsession.

I think you can teach him to be calm indoors. Get him a mat or a bed or rug or just use his crate and dedicate some time to teaching him that when he's on that bed or in that crate it is quiet time. Rewards for being quiet and staying in a down, Kongs, bones, just quiet things to do like Persephone suggests. Massages, maybe some of Karen Overall's Protocol for Relaxation. It didn't take Erik long and it made a difference to his demeanor in general. He spends less time running around being hyper alert and more time lying on my legs on the couch. I think he's a happier dog for being able to switch off. I don't think it's good for him to be so alert that he needs to get up every couple of minutes to bark at something.

One exercise I like is a "long down" trained with a tether. You tether your dog near his bed. Walk away a little bit, have him drop. Come back to him. Give him some attention, ask him to drop again, walk away a little further. If he's still in the drop, come back and give him some attention.

Only ever pay him attention or return to him if he's down. Build up distance, duration and distractions. Don't use food or toys. Don't insist on a formal down, in fact work towards a very relaxed, lazy, sleepy down. Shape it if you have to. If he falls asleep, even better.

I haven't got to the point where I am able to vacuum around my dogs yet, but I can vacuum in the same room while they doze.