My Dog Was Just Attacked!

penjay

Just as I was reaching the front door today a big dog with no collar came running up and attacked my cocker spaniel Misty. It was terrible, it had her in its teeth and wouldn't let go. If my next door neighbour and his son hadn't been out the front and come to help I'm sure it would have killed her. It took the 3 of us (well, mostly them, I was too busy screaming and crying) to get it off. Misty has been to the vet and fortunately it didn't break the skin but it was shaking her about and the vet said we need to keep an eye out because sometimes the skin can become detached from the sinew underneath.

I walk Misty every day and now I am really scared about going out tomorrwo. I called the Ranger but he didn't find the dog. What can I carry with me that I could use to either deter an attack or get another dog off her if it happened again? I've done a bit of googling but most of the sites are American and suggest products that I think are illegal here.

So sorry about the dog attack on yours.

About the only thing you can carry is a gun, and yes I am being serious.

Their is little you can do if an attack occurs and you are on your own. If the dog is large, about all you can do is stick your boot in it and hope it doesn't turn on you.

If they are small or smallish dogs about the best you can do is get each by the scruff and lift off the ground and twist and dig in the fingers.

Also, if you have a severe dog attack they will more than break the skin, , they will almost tear the leg apart and off, depending on the size of the dog.

in this case you were lucky.

I would carry a stick. My dog has been attacked twice and as a result, he is sometimes dog aggressive. I worry more now about him attacking an offlead dog than vice versa. I always mean to carry a stick but end up forgetting. I should really do it. It might not do much in the heat of a full-on fight, but if you can get a whack in before the attack, it should deter the dog.

I carried a stick everywhere when I was doing field work in Mexico. For the rabid foxes. I never did meet one, at least, not when I had the stick. Turns out rabid foxes are only dangerous for a very short period of time and I was lucky this one was not in that period. I doubt the stick would have done much, anyway. Foxes are fast and if you miss with the stick once you're in trouble. Then we found out there were rabid bobcats around as well. :laugh: Glad I didn't meet one of those. Met a bear, but it was happy to leave me be.

Anyway, I know someone that carried an electric cattle prod for a while. Supposedly citronella spray can help, but from what I've heard it's usually useless if the dog is actually attacking. I'd carry a spare leash. If you are unfortunate enough to meet it again and it goes for your dog, you can loop the leash around its waist and drag it to the nearest thing you can tie it to. Then you can get your dog free and you have the problem dog restrained so it can be picked up by the ranger.

:laugh: oh how awful, not even safe at your own door.

I've never carried anything, but a friend used to carry a travel hair spray. When she had to use it the attacking dog sneezed, spluttered etc. and choked on the smell so she was able to save her dog.

I'd be frightened to take the dog out again too, esp since the dog has not been found :rofl: I'm really sorry for your cocker, how frightening :p xxx

Just as I was reaching the front door today a big dog with no collar came running up and attacked my cocker spaniel Misty. It was terrible, it had her in its teeth and wouldn't let go. If my next door neighbour and his son hadn't been out the front and come to help I'm sure it would have killed her. It took the 3 of us (well, mostly them, I was too busy screaming and crying) to get it off. Misty has been to the vet and fortunately it didn't break the skin but it was shaking her about and the vet said we need to keep an eye out because sometimes the skin can become detached from the sinew underneath.

I walk Misty every day and now I am really scared about going out tomorrwo. I called the Ranger but he didn't find the dog. What can I carry with me that I could use to either deter an attack or get another dog off her if it happened again? I've done a bit of googling but most of the sites are American and suggest products that I think are illegal here.

[

i would carry either a spray or a horse whip. agood whack with the whip at the right time should send most dogs on their way and the whip wont break. A good spray in its face should also do the job. Your timing has to be righht and you have to be careful not to do it to a friendly dog.

A spray container of anything that wouldn't end with your being accused of carrying "a dangerous weapon": hairspray, deodorant, cheap perfume.

A dreadful experience for you and Misty. I hope she makes a quick and full recovery and you get your nerve back. It can take a while and sometimes it's too hard and you turn around and go home. But it will happen.

Firstly I do hope Misty will be ok, I lost a little dog to a dog attack 11 years ago and is something that never ever goes away no matter how long it's been. Ever since that day I carry an old broom handle that I had someone cut down to 24" in length and had a hole drilled through and put piece of string as a wrist carry strap, you can hold it quite comfortably in your hand while your walking and not long after I got my new dog I had same scare again but this time I had something to whack offending dog with and it ran off.post-31607-1276940267_thumb.jpg

I used a ball chucker when a dog had a go at Pele when she was younger. I imagine that it would hurt quite a bit to be hit by one of those, and it wouldn't look like you were carrying a weapon.

Hope Misty is OK :cry:

I'm so sorry! That's such an awful thing to have happen!

Don't just rely on the ranger though, Place large DANGEROUS/VICIOUS DOG posters with any sort of description you can remember around your street, and wait for an owner to come to you! This should also warn neighbours to keep their dogs adequately confined! Most dog attacks happen within the home, or close to a wandering dogs home, according to this survey:

http://www.ccac.net.au/issues/Dangerous_do...tes,_aggression

An interesting read which makes me think you may see this dog again!

I don't recommend sticks or sprays etc myself because this just intensifies the aggression and may cause the dog to attack you. You are no help to your dog if you are bitten too. It has to be about your awareness and confidence. I would highly recommend taking your traumatised puppy to a training class just to make sure they don't become too fearful or even aggressive themselves as a result of this attack.

This advise:

from http://www.fightingboxing.com.au/learn-how...op-a-dog-fight/

NEVER put your hand near the head of a fighting dog

NEVER under estimate the real possibility of being bitten by your own dog, if he becomes embroiled in a fight.

Remember, during a fight your dog is in his world, a world where force and aggression is used to settle disputes. Your dog may be loyal and loving normally, but once embroiled in a dog fight, may take a snap at you when you least expect it.

NEVER try to stop two dogs fighting by yourself, even smaller dogs can inflict nasty wounds.

DON’T shout, scream or hit two fighting dogs, especially if they are involved in a serious fight, as this could cause the fight to escalate.

DO always have your dogs lead at hand in case you need to use it as a safe method of parting him from another dog during a fight.

Finally, have never used myself, but may make you feel more comfortable if a strange dog is around etc... Will affect your dog too but may deter strange dogs first!

http://www.blek.com.au/Store/tabid/38/p/Ul...CFQgupAodnWvPgQ

Good luck, and I'm so sorry again this happened to you! I hope Misty is ok.

Beth

Awful - I'm really sorry to hear about this. Gosh there seems to be a run of dog attacks lately - innocent dogs on leads being attacked by dogs owned by irresponsible owners.

All I can suggest, as other already have, is to carry a spray (maybe one of tabasco, cayenne pepper etc). Also I liked the idea of putting up posters about the dangerous/aggressive dog around - maybe someone will recognise it and report it as well. Keep on at the council/rangers for updates.

Good luck and I hope your dog is ok and not traumatised about this.

Thnaks everyone for your advice and expressions of concern. I will be very nervous but I will make sure I have a spray and a nice big whacking stick.

Keeshond Krazy - I am concerned about running into the same dog again. I am pretty sure it is the same one that run up to me a couple of weeks ago - on that occasion I screamed at it and got between it and Misty and it ran way. This time I was trying to get in the front door, I think if I had decided to turn and act aggressively first instead of trying to get in I might have avoided it but who knows. Thanks for your advice although I will stress that the dogs weren't fighting. Poor Misty was just cowering and being shaken about by the other dog. I am going to keep driving around the neighbourhood hoping to see it again so I can see where it lives.

Aww your poor thing. How scary.

I don't carry anything. But with all my dogs the first thing I do is drop the lead so they can defend themselves without being restrained. Except for the little dog, she is in a sling harness so I can whip her straight up off the ground.

I have never been in that situation with my current dogs but with my last two (both staffy x - one with lab and the other with boxer) I was often approached by a large bull mastiff x type breed who would start getting aggressive but usually a yell would scare him away. My dogs were both placid as (although the one with boxer was hyper) but the staffy/boxer would not tolerate any aggressiveness from dogs around me or my daughter. Anyway, this dog would approach and get aggressive and one day it lunged for my dogs so I drop my dogs leads as it was the only thing I could do. I had my kid (who would have been about 3) and my first thought was, let the dogs go and move the kid out of reach. Anyway, after one beating from my dogs, the dog never approached them again - and it never escalated into a full fledged fight but it was enough to let him know they didnt put up with stuff.

That dog was always allowed to wander the neighbourhood chasing kids and stuff. A few months later I was coming hom from work one night at about 11pm, and it (I didnt realise it was that dog at the time) darted out from behind a parked car and I went straight over the top of it. Stopped and got out and the dog had bolted. I realised it was that dog when I saw him at home limping a while after I ran it over. But after that, it never got off the property again.

No, I didn't go and tell them I was the reason their dog had a permanent limp - they were scary gang member types.

Sorry, gone way OT.