Does Your Dog/pup Have A Specific Object

Dust Angel

I was thinking about Flute this afternoon and her war against toothbrushes and coat hangers. I have never had a dog that consistently like to destroy one thing in particular. When she was really young it was random acts of destruction but she has narrowed her one dog war down to concentrate on toothbrushes and crocheted coat hangers.

Now crochet coat hangers I can understand. You never buy them but there always seems to be some in your wardrobe AND I actually witnessed an unprovoked attack on Flute. A couple of months ago she was sitting quietly in my wardrobe (as you do) and with no warning whatsoever a particularly nasty green frilly one (from whence it came I have no idea) flung itself viscously at her head. She valiantly dispatched it and saved us from annihilation.

My toothbrushes (and it is only my toothbrushes) on the other hand seem like such peaceful beings. I have no idea why they must be dispatched and really no idea at all why she feels the need to open the drawer to retrieve them. My toothbrushes are lucky to make it to the two week mark in my house.

I am honoured that she is on the look out for my dental hygiene but perplexed as to the crime these poor objects are guilty of committing. I have to admit to that it is not a fast execution; the carrier of justice draws the process out with much flinging across the room and pouncing. She has been known to hide the offender inside her mouth when questioned (quite a give away when as I buy the electronic kind that emit a loud buzzing and causes her large chops to vibrate) and try to look innocent.

She is also is the remover of squeakers from toys - I totally get this though, squeakers are clearly cohorts of coat hangers of the crocheted variety.

Sienna on the other hand is the destroyer of all things edible and that’s about it, oh with the exception of toys with eyes - all eyes must be removed.

What fixations have your dogs got?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:):rofl::rofl:

shoes, Onslow must destroy all shoes and I'm not the tidiest person :rofl: he often succeeds. My last pair had bows on the front, but one bow was chewed off - i still wore them hoping noone would notice or comment

wettex dish cloths. No idea why but he loves them. we have to make sure they are placed behind the sink where he can't reach them. However having 3 kids means it doesn't always happen. I once went through 3 packs in a week....thats nine dish cloths :)

Edited by fiveplusone

My dog regularily checks to see if I've forgotten to put the toilet roll out of her reach. I try to keep the door shut as back up but sometimes I forget.

She also raids clean and dirty laundry for socks and murders them. Mum forgot twice and now has a pair of socks made of one blue and one white sock. I have to keep my bedroom door with the laundry shut when I'm not in there.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

:)

Lili has a penchant for Elmo......I can give her any stuffed toy and she'll play with it, but give her an Elmo toy....oh boy.....

Mosley....well he pretty much destroys anything he can get his mouth into

Elmo holds quite the attraction for Sienna - she has a tickle me Elmo and the more he says "that tickles" the more she throws him around ;) He has lasted a very long time ..... except for his eyes they dissapeared on the first day.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

shoes, Onslow must destroy all shoes and I'm not the tidiest person :D he often succeeds. My last pair had bows on the front, but one bow was chewed off - i still wore them hoping noone would notice or comment

:D I do the same thing, my plan is if anyone points it out to act suprised and exclaim that they wernt like that when i put them on this morning. Coupled with a pretense of looking for missing button/bauble/bow :rofl:

When my girl was a pup (and an adolescent for that matter) she had a thing for thongs (the footware). Was she trying to tell me something about my sense of fashion? I had a very, very bad habit of leaving them lying around.

She also went through a stage of jumping up so her front feet were on a chair that just happened to have my folded and washed clothes on it. I misplaced a few undies during this stage until I learned to leave them up somewhere inaccessible.

Basically, my pup taught me to be a more tidy person.

I remember the day she chewed through my internet cable (the only cord ever left lying around thank goodness, electrical cords are completely out of bounds). I learned then that I could pin the internet cable along the wall. I have since discovered the joys of wireless so that's one less thing to worried about with my next pup in about 20 years time.

My grown up dog is not a big chewer. She will chew on bones or toys or sometimes my bedspread...

Edit - you guys just reminded me about socks. She doesn't really chew them, but if she gets hold of one she gives it a 'die sock, die' shake.

And I'm talking about the same dog here - as a pup and as an adult. The wording makes it seem like two dogs.

Edited by Emm

Demi REALLY REALLY REALLY likes anything in high places!! My stuff on the floor never gets touched- shoes, clothes, study notes nothing. Put the same object up on a sideboard or table and its and AMAZING toy!!!! Food on the floor doesnt get touched- food on the bench gets stollen!!!

Honestly she is making me messy (not a hard task) and I can never catch her doing it! She can even get onto the TV cabnet which is about 1.5m high and nothing around to use as a leg up....................

Thankfully now he doesn't destroy anything, but when he was younger we left him at home for a few hours.

Came home, and of all the things he could have destroyed, he chose to eat my $1200 Grado GS1000 headphones and the TV remote.

Guess which two things I use that take my attention away from him? Listening to music and watching TV.

How smart/evil is that!

Demi REALLY REALLY REALLY likes anything in high places!! My stuff on the floor never gets touched- shoes, clothes, study notes nothing. Put the same object up on a sideboard or table and its and AMAZING toy!!!! Food on the floor doesnt get touched- food on the bench gets stollen!!!

Honestly she is making me messy (not a hard task) and I can never catch her doing it! She can even get onto the TV cabnet which is about 1.5m high and nothing around to use as a leg up....................

Yes i came home to find a 26kg GSP on top of my fridge once - got up there to scoff some snacks and couldnt get down. The look on her face was priceless "on one paw im so glad you are home and can help me down ... on the other paw i am SOOOO busted" :D

Thankfully now he doesn't destroy anything, but when he was younger we left him at home for a few hours.

Came home, and of all the things he could have destroyed, he chose to eat my $1200 Grado GS1000 headphones and the TV remote.

Guess which two things I use that take my attention away from him? Listening to music and watching TV.

How smart/evil is that!

:rofl: Smart dog!

DA, please tell me you have a photo of the fridge surfing????!!!!! :D

Sadly Its one of the very few times i didnt pick up a camera first - i sooo should have :rofl: I was a bit worried the shame would overtake the happiness to see me and she would hurt herself trying to get off.

The biggest problem was that we have very low cielings so GSP on Fridge = head touching roof. I swear its one of the funniest things i have ever seen :rofl:

How smart/evil is that!

Ooooh that reminds me- SUNGLASSES. I dont wear sunglasses when I do dog training but do most other places...... It seems that all the dogs have come to conclusion that if I have no sunglasses I wont go out with out them and So I have not had a pair last more than about 8mths since I got abby 5 yrs ago (although I know it has not always been abby that has destroyed them!)

Slippers. Erik cannot resist ripping the wool out of sheepskin slippers. You only need leave them in his reach for a few minutes and he will find them and there will be wool all over the floor in a matter of seconds. OH's parents were here a couple of weeks ago and I kid you not, 5 minutes after they got all the bags inside Erik proudly dropped a slipper at the door of my study. The other one had already been taken outside. He had rumaged through bags to find them. Fortunately, he was just kinda trying them out and deciding which bit to rip into first and so they did survive his attention.

James has a penchant for stockings. Also socks, but primarily stockings. And he won't shred them, he just likes to carry them around. If there's a pile of clothes on the floor he will leave everything untouched except for a stocking which will be peeking out of his mouth as he bolts away. He stuck his head in the bin the other day and emerged with a stocking (binned because it tore trying to pull it out of his mouth previously!) that had been buried somewhere in the middle of the bin. Bloody dog has a foot fetish.

We once owned a Husky who had a terrible habit of eating underwear, and I mean literally eating it. From the dirty clothes basket was preferable, but clean would also suffice. She became an outside dog after the second time we had to remove the remnants of OH's boxers from her behind mid poo. Even if the basket was put on top of the washing machine she managed to get it down.

A friend of mine's Lab ate through 5 iphone chargers in 3 weeks. He only did it after she went to bed, so she ended up moving his bed into her room and started sleeping with her hand dangling down for him to nuzzle on. Seemed to fix the problem. :D

crocheted coat hangers.

What fixations have your dogs got?

Heidi has a major fixation with coat hangers, especially crocheted ones. Do not know where it comes from, but she had always had a 'thing' for them in particular.

Other than that, the only thing that never ever lasts long is a bath/shower scrunchie. No matter what I do, they will not last 24 hours. I've given up buying them.