Question About Male Dogs And Leg Cocking

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue
I'm sort of taking this :laugh: (sorry belgian) but why do some people care if their dog cocks it's leg?

First time I've ever had a male dog and it is all about me being really curious. Heard so much advice on male dogs and their weeing habits that I just wanted to get a more clear idea.

Came to the conclusion that this subject can be added to the dog myth thread :laugh:

I know my boy wouldn't mark in the house and I'm not worried about him peeing on bushes .. that means there would be less dead grass :rofl:

Kei started cocking his leg at 6 months. Now at almost 2 he sometimes squats, sometimes cocks, depending on what is more comfortable. To be honest cocking his leg doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's more accurate when he cocks his leg and doesn't miss and pee on his front feet of chest like he does somethimes when he squats :hug: he's never cocked his leg in the house and usually pees on the same bush in the yard when he does it at home. I've never understood what the issue with leg cocking is? If they're not marking all over the place then why do people see it as a issue :o

That's exactly what my ridgie does! A total mixed bag. Sometimes he changes his mind mid leg cock and decides to squat instead if he hasn't balanced himself properly. Very funny! :cry:

He was desexed at 6 months and started cocking his leg at around 8 months.

sure they can learn

and everyone here now cocks his leg though they have nothing to show off lol( oh except for one who is now three)

our littlest started cocking at nine weeks

all the others were squatting and desexed

then one by one..they started to cock

the youngest started to cock his leg only this year..did it so proudly lol...and now squirts on his fav bits of the walks every day

he is the dominant one and his deputy, the three year old still squats...he will squat over the bitch's puddle and over any other dogs' spots too so he still marks in a way just not as high

Dogs will also mimic others. If a male dog regularly spends time with other males that cock, then they will most likely do it earlier. I have a male who was desexed at 6 months and he has cocked his leg for the last 4 or 5 years because the instinct was intensified with rescues coming through and he also mimicked I would think. Lots of the rescues were entire and some were very religious markers.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest belgian.blue

I think it's instinct in every male dog but doesn't really appear until they see another male doing it numerous times?

Kinda like how do cats purr ..

My GSD boy was desexed at 11 mths, he didn't lift his leg before and he didn't after he just leans forward. :D It never worried me till I saw our Rottie bitch lift her leg :cry: on the odd occasion. :cry:

Benson was desexed at 4 1/2 months and started cocking his leg at 10 months. It wasn't learned behaviour, he was the only male dog here and he didn't regularly see other male dogs. He hardly ever squats now, he'd lift his leg on a long blade of grass rather than squat.

I think it's instinct in every male dog but doesn't really appear until they see another male doing it numerous times?

Kinda like how do cats purr ..

Nope- my dog did not see other dogs cocking their legs - he started doing it once he started to mature sexually and started marking. Since being desexed he seems to be doing it less.

I don't think my last boy cocked his leg once in 22 months.

Lewis cocks his leg if he wants to mark, but if he runs outside and is busting he squats. He is about half and half. Rommi quite often cocks her leg.

Both my Dobe bitches always cocked their legs - sometimes on car wheels!

Edited by Rommi n Lewis