Target Torch

Why do you need one? From experience, teaching them to chase or focus on light beams (if that is what you mean) is not a good idea as they can become obsessed with them and start looking for and chasing light, light reflections and shadows. Target sticks are a better thing for targeting.

Edited by Kavik

For teaching them to pick up objects etc (such as under the bed after they've dragged them there :rolleyes: ) and for Mango with her show training to get her to look straight ahead while heeling rather than at me.

Why do you need one? From experience, teaching them to chase or focus on light beams (if that is what you mean) is not a good idea as they can become obsessed with them and start looking for and chasing light, light reflections and shadows. Target sticks are a better thing for targeting.

I totally agree with everything Kavik has said. Think twice before using light beams as they can totally ruin a good dog (the younger they are the more likely to cause damage). My OH thought it was funny when my GR chased the light beam from a laser he used as a work tool. The poor dog is now obsessed with lights and shadows and although we have toned down his obsession it will NEVER go away. Apparently one of the the reasons it can distress a dog is because he/she can see this 'thing' moving, however unlike anything else the light has no smell (think about it, what else do you use with your dog that has no smell?). As Kavik said use a target stick instead.

Edited by gsdog2

OK thanks for the input, I'll invest my money in a telescopic target stick instead, at the moment I am using a wooden spoon with the end painted red :rolleyes:

Would you believe I was just driving home and there is a kid sitting on the corner with a laser shining it in peoples eyes. How ironic, that kid should get a life! :love:

Just don't get the Karen Pryor target stick. It's lame and it broke within a few weeks of getting it. I have one of those purple ones with a clicker in the handle, now. The clicker is pretty ordinary and feels like it'll break sooner or later, but the targeting bit is sturdy.

Noooooo!!!! These things were in vogue a few years ago and many dogs who were predisposed to OCD went crazy! I know Rotties who got to the stage of a light reflecting off a watch set them off. Many working type dogs who are bred to notice movement can have problems and once in its a really difficult thing to manage.

For teaching them to pick up objects etc (such as under the bed after they've dragged them there :) ) and for Mango with her show training to get her to look straight ahead while heeling rather than at me.

Berri is neurotic at the best of times, I wouldn't want to do anything that would make him worse!

It's a shame, the kids around here are real brats. If people would use things for what they are meant to be used for and not be silly things wouldn't need to be banned all of the time...

My brother's Kelpie / BC is obsessed with light after she was encouraged to chase a laser beam as a pup :rofl: If you look like you are doing anything that could cause light, holding something shiny etc she is there waiting for it, she can hear a camera turn on from the other end of the house and is obsessed with that too because of the flash :)

For teaching them to pick up objects etc (such as under the bed after they've dragged them there :rofl: ) and for Mango with her show training to get her to look straight ahead while heeling rather than at me.

In the obedience trial ring and also in other areas of obedience, 'engaging' (focus) on the owner in all work modes including heeling is desired. Why would you want to change this?

I agree with the others. Lasers drive dogs insane. Can see, but can't touch, smell or catch.

For the "get it" component of what you want to teach her, start very close distance, then move further and further away. Basically, you want to teach her to retrieve, so you could blend a bit of retrieve training in to it all. Then, when she's doing that, you should be able to start hiding things and getting her to get them. And hey presto, just like magic, you should be able to send her to things that she's left under the bed.

Edited by Erny

I was thinking of this ...

For teaching them to pick up objects etc (such as under the bed after they've dragged them there

why not just teach 'fetch' ? and 'find/seek'?

:rofl: I have no idea of targetting .. but our dogs know 'find/get it'.. and will happily crawl under a bed/couch and grab things :)

A kid here went to jail for shining a laser pointer at a police helicopter pilot.

I think it's illegal to shine them at people now. And high watt / power ones are not allowed to be sold at all.

I use a hockey stick to retrieve dog stuff from under the couch. Indoor hockey sticks are light and cheap. It would probably work as a target stick - otherwise I've been considering using spare fibreglass tent poles - those ones that go with the dome tents, light and you can string two or three together as you need. And if you need a light on the end, LEDs are cheap and light.

I was thinking ... why not just teach 'fetch' ? and 'find/seek'?

Yes - that's what I meant by my post above, so I think we're on the same page, Perse.

I didn't teach my boy to go get stuff, by targetting.

Most of his own 'things' have names, and I can ask him to go get them by name. Was rather handy the other day when it was raining and I was on the veranda with no shoes on. We were about to venture back inside when I realised Mandela had left his toy out. I told him "hey, don't forget Flea" and out he ran and brought him in. Now, if I could just teach him to make my dinner and bring it to me. :rofl:

Edited by Erny

If thats the case then target and clicker would work really well for this. You can use a target stick.
I think Jeanne is training for conformation shows, where the dog is supposed to look ahead not up?

The heel position is not what you want for gaiting a dog in conformation. I'd be leaving that for obedience training. For conformation you want the dog away from your legs and not looking at you.

Hey Erny

I think you could train most dogs to make your dinner and eat it for you.

But bringing it to you - that's harder.

I taught my dog to watch me, not the food. With a clicker. I reckon you could use a target stick with maybe a cat toy on the end to teach watch the target not me (or the food). There's some of that with the agility trainers, ie release the dog when it looks at the obstacle / jump, not when it's looking at the handler. I've so been doing it wrong...

My brother's Kelpie / BC is obsessed with light after she was encouraged to chase a laser beam as a pup :rofl: If you look like you are doing anything that could cause light, holding something shiny etc she is there waiting for it, she can hear a camera turn on from the other end of the house and is obsessed with that too because of the flash :)

When cars pull up in our driveway our GR knows where the reflection of the car door will appear, he will stand at that spot and wait to chase it - it's very upsetting to see him so obsessed :thumbsup: